Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Metro 2033

Old 11-05-2010, 06:29 PM   #1
Mgp

Hardcore or Ranger easy/hard?

Just got the game and want to know- whats the difference between hardcore and ranger easy? which one is harder? and- what do you guys recommend?
Old 11-05-2010, 06:56 PM   #2
Suicide

I haven't installed mine yet, but I would think that Ranger is a lot more difficult in terms in obtain items such as bullets and being killed really easy with like, one shot to the face type thing. Where as hardcore is 3-4 hits and ammo is also rarely obtained.
Suicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:45 AM   #3
TheHorse

With Ranger easy mode you also keep the HUD. Ranger hardcore you have to do without.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:15 PM   #4
Bai_Kai

Everything I've read from other sites don't give much info to me as I am just about to start the game. Use this as your search in BING " metro 2033 difference between regular and ranger modes" and you will get a number of boards related to the question. This is what I did learn:

Gunsmith is a little tougher in ranger mode, there is less ammo on pick-ups, and on hard there is no HUD- unless you tap (I think) backspace.

Everyone made the ranger modes sound not much different than the regular modes. Something was said about typing in the weapon name because you can't tell which gun part you picked up. I will figure it out as I play.

Have fun with it! I know I intend to!
Bai_Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:33 PM   #5
DazMazDa

Game is actually easier on Hardcore compared to Easy.

When the difficulty is set to Hardcore, bullets do more damage, thats why on Hardcore, you vs beast = easy but you vs humans = hard because they have bullets and have their armor and so on.

The majority of the game is against beasts so the game is easier overall if you play on Hardcore.

Just remember you aren't invincible against beasts on Hardcore.
DazMazDa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:33 AM   #6
Hamster Gutz

I just played it on Ranger Easy for my first playthrough. It was pretty easy actually...maybe in a few months I'll play it again on Ranger Hardcore. It was a great game, like a linear STALKER.(and I love STALKER )
Hamster Gutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:02 AM   #7
xzoltan

The biggest difference I guess is actually the HUD is missing. You have no crosshairs, you have no exact info as to how much ammo you have left, besides looking at your weapon, or checking your journal. Ammo is VERY scarce. Whenever you pick up ammo, you pick up 1-3 bullets each time. No crosshairs for instance. You have to actually aim, and learn where abouts to throw your throwing knifes for instance. Imo, go eith either Ranger difficulty for your first play through, the hardcore mode gives you the very best Metro experience if you ask me, as you actually have to scavenge quite a bit to survive, or you will end up only having your knife. Which is not bad btw. If you are not so comfortable in shooters, go with Ranger Easy, and try it on hardcore afterwards. I hope this helped. When you start the game, it also tells you most of this btw when selecting the ranger hardcore mode.
xzoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:09 AM   #8
totalitaer

In ranger you will have to use a trader to buy ammo or get used to your knife. Ammo you find wont be enough.

Though with the increased bullet damage, even the .44 revolver is useful in any situation.

It is a lot more enjoyable that's for sure.
totalitaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:15 AM   #9
PandaFraHelvete

the hardcore ranger mode is for me impossible I barely got to the end with almost no ammo on ranger easy mode, but it is challenging.
PandaFraHelvete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #10
JBBooks

It's been a long time since I played, so I loaded up my last save (Ranger- Hardcore- TOP- right after the elevator falls), and here's what I had-
125 BB (Volt Driver ammo)
70 Pistol rounds
67 Dirty rounds for the Kalash
262 Gold rounds
5 of each grenade
10 Minutes of filter time

I'm sure I had a bunch of shotgun shells, but since I was't carrying a shotgun I had no way of checking the ammo.

There is plenty of ammo & filters available in Ranger. You have to look everywhere. Single, accurate fire is a big help also.
JBBooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Metro 2033