Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Call of Duty series > Black Ops

Old 11-09-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
Rugaal

Red face [FIX] Call of Duty: Black Ops - Game Freeze / LAG FIX!

1. Open Console (`)
Type cl_maxpackets 100
Close Game.

2. Right click on Black Ops Multi in steam games
Go Properties -> Updates -> Untick Enable steam cloud sync.

If the above doesn't work try the following..

3. Steam > Settings > In Game > uncheck “Enable Steam Community In-Game”

*** Also could try another methods, like one of these:

Console Commands:
Draw your FPS on screen:
/cg_drawfps 1
Draw your Lagometer on screen:
/cg_drawlagometer 1
Max FPS command:
/com_maxfps 0

Others:
/cg_fov "80" (GAMEPLAY)*
/com_maxfps "125" (FPS)*
/snaps "30" (REGISTRY)*
/cl_maxpackets "100" (REGISTRY)*
/cl_packetdup "2" (REGISTRY)
/rate "25000" (REGISTRY)
/sm_enable 0 (FPS)*
/r_drawdecals 0 (FPS)*
/cg_drawFPS "Simple" (FPS)
/cg_brass "0" (FPS)
/r_multigpu "1" (FPS)
/r_cachemodellighting "1" (FPS)
/r_cacheSmodellighting "1" (FPS)
/cl_mouseaccel "0" (MOUSE)

Untested:
/r_rendererPreference "Shader model 2.0" (FPS)
/r_vsync "0" (FPS)
/r_smc_enable "0" (FPS)
/r_rendererPreference "0" (FPS)
/r_skincache "1" (FPS)
/cg_blood "0" (FPS)
/com_hunkmegs "512" (FPS)
/r_drawsun "0" (FPS)

Now Type In Console:
/vid_restart

Notes:
*CG FOV :: Field of view, where the value is the angle of the circular arc that is displayed
on your screen. High values will make the game appear "fisheyed".

*MAX FPS :: This command limits your maximum FPS. You may ask why you would want to do this,
and the answer is that it will help the server from having lag confusion when your frame rate
has a sudden rise or fall. Run a timedemo, collect your average FPS and use that as the limit
for when you play on-line.

*SNAPS :: This is possibly the most important setting for getting a good connection.
Snaps setting determines how many updates you recieve from the server. 20 to 30 for
56K connects in quake series 40 for high speed internet im sure the same for cod. (30 is fine).

*MAXPACKETS :: This setting puts a limit on the maximum amount of packets that can be sent to
the server via the client. This setting is useful for people with slower modems. Obviously we
all have high speed connects so set to at least 100. Lower maxpacket settings i.e 30 lowers ping
on screen but at the cost of registration.

*SM ENABLE :: Turns off unique Shadows ingame, it boosts FPS more than most commands.

*R DRAWDECALS :: Turns off details on walls and objects, however Punkbuster will kick you off for this at this time.

Other way is to change your config_mp.cfg in your C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\call of duty black ops\players\config_mp.cfg and change values for these settings:

r_multiGpu

This should only be enabled if you have multiple graphics cards or a graphics card with multiple GPUs. If you don't have multiple GPUs, don't know what this means, or are having issues with your MultiGPU solution, please set this to "0".

r_multithreaded_device

This setting should be enabled for EVERYBODY as the minimum requirements for Black Ops clearly states that you need a multithreaded (multicore) CPU to run the game. However, some people have noticed that by setting this to "0" some of the skipping lag is relieved. Test this out only as a last resort.

r_vsync

VSync prevents screen tearing. If you don't know what that is, just set it to "0" because you probably don't care anyway. Otherwise, VSync usually doesn't have any negative performance issues with today's graphics cards. However, there may be a few performance issues linked to VSync with the current release of Black Ops. Try setting this to "0" for compatibility.

r_blur_allowed

This setting enables Blur shader effects. If you have a strong shader card, this setting may be negligible. Otherwise, just go ahead and set this to "0".

r_distortion

This setting enables Distortion shader effects. If you have a strong shader card, this setting may be negligible. Otherwise, just go ahead and set this to "0".

r_dof_enable

This setting enables Depth of Field shader effects. If you have a strong shader card, this setting may be negligible. Otherwise, just go ahead and set this to "0".

r_glow_allowed

This setting enables Glow (HDR?) shader effects. Normally, this should have a negligible performance impact. HOWEVER, this setting seems to be buggy! Performance improved DRAMATICALLY when I set this option to "0".

rate

Rate is the rate at which the client sends packets to the server. If you set this too low, below 10000 or so, you run the risk of sending insufficient data to the server and lagging out. Set this too high, above 50000 or so, and you run the risk of flooding your connection to the server. This setting should be adjusted according to your connection speed and may take some fine tuning.

cl_maxpackets

This setting controls how many packets the client will hold to ensure packet transmission. If you set this setting to low, below 20 or so, then you run the risk of being disconnected prematurely. If you set this setting too high, above 150 or so, then you run the risk of continually resending redundant data and lowering your ping (or worse, getting choked). This setting is very hard to tune because it depends on so many factors beyond your own connection. Most people have found setting this to 100 is a good compromise for most servers.

Some further technical notes:

It seems that the issues plaguing PC Multiplayer are two fold.

First of all, poor CPU management is causing bottlenecks, especially with what seems to be thread context switching. This causes the system to hang intermentently as data is switched between the cores of your CPU.

Next is poor management of the netcode. The netcode must be shared with the game engine in such a way that when the CPU hangs, no data is being transmitted to or received from the server, causing packets to timeout in both directions and LOADS of redundant data being transferred between all players.

So fixing the lag on your computer should help to alleviate the load for everybody else on the server and give all around better game play.

Also note that the above is just observation and speculation from an experienced programmer. I have, obviously, not seen the source to Black Ops, but because of how the application behaves, these are my most educated guesses.

Try what I mentioned above and let me know if you find anything else that is of importance to the current state of multiplayer performance.

Good Luck and Good Fragging!

Last edited by Rugaal: 08-24-2012 at 12:17 AM. Reason: 24th
Old 11-09-2010, 12:40 PM   #2
redw0lf

Don't tag your post with [FIX] if you don't have one
redw0lf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
Arlind

Paying $10 to who helps me: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...1#post18453819
Old 11-09-2010, 12:46 PM   #4
Idono

Arlind Switch to a US DL server instead.

Rugaal i've played with the with config file alot and it's not going to help in multi.
The game is faulty when it comes to CPU usage.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:38 PM   #5
Rugaal

UPDATED!

Last edited by Rugaal: 11-09-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Rugaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:44 PM   #6
Rugaal

BUMP, so every1 can fix it faster!
Old 11-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #7
jakal1976

Yeah we'll see a difference when it gets patched,let's hope soon enough
jakal1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:47 PM   #8
o'dium

This isn't a FIX. This is a work around. You don't fix a flat tyre on a car by just removing it...
o'dium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:48 PM   #9
ownu00

anyway you can make this some kind of auto config file so we don't have to write all of this every time.
ownu00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:50 PM   #10
skjusto

Is this working for anyone?
skjusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:51 PM   #11
Rugaal

you dont have to write it everytime, if you configure it in your config_mp.cfg file, it will stay like that on next game startup ...
Old 11-09-2010, 02:54 PM   #12
EagleDM

Did someone try to "FORCE" the full 3D speed profile on ATI catalyst drivers and NVIDIA?, because by the looks of the problem it seems to be that 3D rendering is hardly used and driver thinks it's in low power 3d mode, from that comes a very laggy experience.

I say this because on 4870 videocards lag is not present, but the card stays on it's low power 3D clock, which is 500 and is not too low, but for newer cards, low power is very low and maybe is creating the problem.
EagleDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:57 PM   #13
lightbeats

Banned
I've changed a few settings in game, in config, in nvidia control panel... all they have done is ease the issues and still I am only still playing because this is new and exciting. If this was a game i'd played before I would not be playing it, right now I am only trying to get my money's worth.

I am now (after tweaking a few setting's) experiencing stuttering especially when I come into close quarter combat with enemies, serious hit detection/lag issues, all with the graphics set low.. on a game running the same engine I could run MW2 on maxxed out with high fps.
lightbeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:01 PM   #14
Ex0duS_5150

Who ever is in charge of making a patch should get there azz in gear and get it out already.. We waited patiently for this and now its unplayable.. The way the consumer just gets f'ed over on a regular basis in the video game world is just depressing now a days..
Old 11-09-2010, 03:07 PM   #15
Moose.Qc

Don't blame the developers; blame the user that does not know how to optimize their own systems. I have a very old system and it works flawlessly.

However if want a quick boost in FPS, disable aero & desktop composition inside vista / windows 7.

That should help.

Cheers
Moose.Qc is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Call of Duty series > Black Ops