Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Call of Duty series > Black Ops

Old 11-09-2010, 07:35 PM   #1
HWG

Pictures of CPU Limitation being the problem...

http://www.heavyweaponsguy.com/images/realtimeBlOPS.jpg
http://www.heavyweaponsguy.com/images/realtimeMW2.jpg

The first picture shows Black Ops hitting 100% or near 100% CPU usage at all times, however despite getting a solid 60 FPS, the stuttering persists. Making the game completely unplayable to my standards. I regularly play at 1920x1200, but I downscaled the resolution to show the CPU usage and other data.

The second picture shows MW2 running in a similarly hectic area, only using 52% of the CPU, the kicker? The system idle process is using more of the CPU than the iw4sp.exe is.

The conclusion? This is not a GPU related bug - this is in the origin of the CPU, and terrible optimizations on behalf of Treyarch. The game was purchased for me, so that I could review it - and believe you me... this knocks the score off what it could be.

Ultimately, we have only ourselves to blame. We allow this ,at one time, intolerable attitude towards PC Gamers - and pay with our hard earned money, only to be predictably shafted. So if you're looking for anyone to blame, you have only to look in the mirror.

Treyarch will fix the bug, sure - and I garner it will be rather quickly. But I'd rather hit one of you with a truncheon should you decide this is some marketing tactic, or that you are being haggled by Activision.

This is just what happens when quality control is secondary to profit. The auto-industry took this mentality for a long period of time, and now they're suffering for it. If the gaming industry continues, there most likely will be another crash... the real joke? The only crash will occur on PCs. Consoles will continue to be fed.

Remember, you show your support with your wallet, regardless of what you say or do here.

Last edited by HWG: 11-09-2010 at 07:45 PM.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
I Skellington I

Treyarch said a patch is coming to fix it. It's a memory leak. Quit your rage-bashing. Game just came out, be patient.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
HWG

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Skellington I View Post
Treyarch said a patch is coming to fix it. It's a memory leak. Quit your rage-bashing. Game just came out, be patient.
Mhmmmm.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:45 PM   #4
glassypool

After launching the game, alt-tab out of it, open up task manager, right click BlackOps.exe and set priority to HIGH. Following which right click Steam.exe and set priority to LOW. Alt-tab back in and the game should be smooth.

So far this is the only fix that really worked. Hopefully we'll get a patch within the next week or so.

Just an off topic question, where did you get your theme from? It looks really cool.
glassypool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:46 PM   #5
HWG

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassypool View Post
After launching the game, alt-tab out of it, open up task manager, right click BlackOps.exe and set priority to HIGH. Following which right click Steam.exe and set priority to LOW. Alt-tab back in and the game should be smooth.

So far this is the only fix that really worked. Hopefully we'll get a patch within the next week or so.

Just an off topic question, where did you get your theme from? It looks really cool.
I'd be happy to point you in that direction...

http://browse.deviantart.com/customi...frost#/d2wtc4c
Old 11-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #6
Malk

Those screendumps just show that black ops has better CPU utilization than Mw2.
Malk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:48 PM   #7
jakal1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malk View Post
Those screendumps just show that black ops has better CPU utilization than Mw2.
hahahahahahaha what a moron hahahahaha
jakal1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:49 PM   #8
glassypool

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWG View Post
I'd be happy to point you in that direction...

http://browse.deviantart.com/customi...frost#/d2wtc4c
Haha, thanks. At least this will take my mind off the damn game and I can spend some time making my windows look really sweet .
glassypool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:49 PM   #9
cemmillia

Quote:
If your game has a memory leak in university you instantly fail.

Where's the love?
cemmillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:50 PM   #10
riZen

Quote:
Source?
riZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:51 PM   #11
Smittzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassypool View Post
Haha, thanks. At least this will take my mind off the damn game and I can spend some time making my windows look really sweet .
I dig it
Smittzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:52 PM   #12
HWG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakal1976 View Post
hahahahahahaha what a moron hahahahaha
I think he was joking.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:53 PM   #13
azzonie

Quote:
Link or it is a rumor.
azzonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:56 PM   #14
themires

Banned
what are your system specs?? to the op from hardware to os please
themires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:02 PM   #15
Malk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWG View Post
I think he was joking.
Glad someone saw through the sarcasm, i guess it just goes to show that the more ridiculous the statement the bigger is the chance some people will think its a statement meant in all seriousness lol.
Malk is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Call of Duty series > Black Ops