Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Call of Duty series > Black Ops

Old 11-11-2010, 09:29 AM   #1
Pistolero2012

How to install Black Ops with DVD and Digital Copies Without STEAM Download

This Guide is to prevent 6 hours of "Goosfrabas" (Anger Management Movie) to those who Bought it Online like me, i got mine in Gamestop but also needed STEAM download to install.

Should Work for both people with RETAIL DVD and those who bought the DIGITAL COPY.

Includes pictures of the files. Read the entire guide before proceeding. If this works for you, when you finish playing give me a hand to spread the word on any forum you can and save the world of hours of anger. lulz.

First Part:

Important:
First make sure you have an STEAM account and the STEAM client installed. Head to STEAMPOWERED.com if you haven't.
If you are already Downloading from STEAM the game with the DVD in ur hand or the Digital Copy from 3rd parties, u need to delete whatever you are downloading unless you wanna wait for hours to finish (7 hours in my case and i got 5Mbps).
To delete what your are currently downlading go to your STEAM client Library, right Click on BlackOps Multiplayer and Delete the Content. Same thing for BlackOps Single Player, delete the content.
Input CD-KEY whenever it ask for it.

Digital Download:
Here is the image of the things it dowloaded after buying it from Gamestop. The problem was that even after downloading 8GB, when Activating it in STEAM will ask me to Download the 8GB again, so this is what i did to install if from the Download i had. Same will happen to those with Retail DVDs

http://i52.tinypic.com/2gt2o8w.jpg

Files:
Callofdutyblackops-dm.exe is the download manager
Callofdutyblackops.exe is the extractor. Run it.
It auto extracts to a Folder called CODBO_extracted (in my case) in the same folder the Callofdutyblackops.exe file is.

Once extracted, to force STEAM to install from the folder, i had to make an IMAGE (Yes, hard drive image, didn't burned anything to a DVD) of the Folder using NeroBurning ROOM (took 20 mins). Make sure the only thing in the image are the following files in the main DVD root (don't copy the folder CODBO_extracted, just the content).

Image should look like this (extracted files) in the ISO Image, your RETAIL DVD might look like this too:
http://i52.tinypic.com/55j7y8.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/29pq6fd.jpg

Second Part:

Next what i did was to Mount the IMAGE and input a Command in the RUN program:

"C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -install E:

Where E: is the drive you mounted the image to or your RETAIL DVD Copy.
There is a chance that you wouldn't have to Burn an IMAGE and just putting for example c:\mydownload\CODBO_extracted (the folder where it extracted to) but didn't got time to test it fully with all the mess i was doing.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2qmj621.jpg

After you ran that command, it will open automatically STEAM, input your Login Data and automatically will start reading and installing from the IMAGE.

Once installed it will take you to the main STEAM CLIENT and will start to downloading a SMALL UPDATE: 113.2 MB plus a few extra MB of DirectX, instead of the 8GB+ again.

RETAIL DVD GUIDE:
Just load your DVD into the DRIVE and follow instructions from SECOND PART. Will happen the same thing, same small update.

****Before playing Multiplayer, i advise to Check your Main Steam Client in one of the Menu bar there is a "change your profile name" option. Change your ingame name or it will show the first part of your real email while playing lulz.

Go loud, clear to play.

Play the Game and follow this guide to install in your other computer.

Cheers and thanks.

Last edited by Pistolero2012: 11-11-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:31 AM   #2
eetcheez

What's all this?

You just run the setup and it installs fine without initiating download. The only reason it would start downloading is if the installer failed, in which case you just run it again.
eetcheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:31 AM   #3
cptcoat

Banned
Are you for real, posting in the steam forums how to download the pirate game to install it....

If you have the DVD then put it in the drive and press setup for it to install. Thats the correct guide.
cptcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:32 AM   #4
Apolladan

What a useless ing thread. Here, let me shorten it for you.

1) Copy and paste your cd-key after running setup.exe.

2) Wait.

3) That's it, it's done.
Apolladan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:35 AM   #5
Pandemic89

I've seen a lot of people having problem installing off the disks. You 3 above are ing stupid.
Pandemic89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:35 AM   #6
cptcoat

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemic89 View Post
I've seen a lot of people having problem installing off the disks. You 3 above are ing stupid.
Thats becuase they dont know how to use a PC son, now whos stupid.
cptcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:37 AM   #7
eetcheez

Quote:
Evident by the fact that we're the ones who can't accomplish a simple task like install a game off a disc... Oh, wait!
Old 11-11-2010, 09:37 AM   #8
Pandemic89

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptcoat View Post
Thats becuase they dont know how to use a PC son, now whos stupid.
Did you have trouble with it? Obviously not. L 2 not troll.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:38 AM   #9
Brusilov

I had no problems installing my COD BO striaght from DVD and playing it on Steam.

The whole install took about 30 minutes to run. It could have been done quicker but I left the PC to get on with it rather than sit and watch the install run.
Brusilov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:39 AM   #10
crazycanuck

i bought the disk and had to reinstall last night (tried to get Theater mode working , no joy) and regardless of it being a disk, steam downloaded for me.
crazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:39 AM   #11
SIFU

thought it was "Woosfrabaaaas"and now thanks to your post i have"I feel pretty oh so pretty" stuck in my head
SIFU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:41 AM   #12
Pandemic89

Quote:
Originally Posted by eetcheez View Post
Evident by the fact that we're the ones who can't accomplish a simple task like install a game off a disc... Oh, wait!
When the discs don't work like they should people have problems . Search the forum scrub. Just woke up and already Trolls and MW2 F4nboyz all over. You stay here and fight with yourself on the internet. I'm going for coffee.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:42 AM   #13
eetcheez

Quote:
When the discs don't work like they should people have problems . Search the forum scrub. Just woke up and already Trolls and MW2 Hammer Legion Members all over. You stay here and fight with yourself on the internet. I'm going for coffee.
All I have to say is: PEBKAC.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:24 PM   #14
Big O

I bought a retail copy of the game. Tried installing it from the disc, it hung until I closed my open instance of steam. Then it opened steam and asked for a cd key. After inputing CD key, steam went and began downloading the game.

Glad I found this thread!
Big O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:25 AM   #15
GrimCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big O View Post
I bought a retail copy of the game. Tried installing it from the disc, it hung until I closed my open instance of steam. Then it opened steam and asked for a cd key. After inputing CD key, steam went and began downloading the game.

Glad I found this thread!
it was because it warns you to close STEAM before installing.
install with steam closed and it should autoload it when finished, and patch from there, not redownload.

i bought the retail too and had no issues since i read the onscreen prompts before clicking "next".
GrimCW is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Call of Duty series > Black Ops