Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Risen Series

Old 11-12-2010, 07:37 AM   #1
FrostyTheUnbald

Risen will not start - did anyone else fix this?

I bought the $15 bargain yesterday.

Launched from Steam or the desktop icon, Risen does not run and the window that says that it is loading closes immediately. That is a far as it goes.

If I launch the Risen.exe from explorer it gives this error:

"This application has failed to start because PhysXLoader.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

In the 'Physx' folder 'PhysX_9.09.0408_SystemSoftware.exe' (the only file there) runs from explorer but will not install because "The currently installed version is newer".

The demo DID run well for me some time back. It has been removed since however.

Also the verify function says files are 100% and rebooting the computer or Steam did not change the error status when the game is launched.

I haven't received a response from Steam yet of course. I will post it when it comes.

Meanwhile any suggestions of yours will be tried.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:02 AM   #2
TheOD

Go to nVidia's site and download the PhysX drivers there, uninstall your other PhysX driver then install those, see if the game works after that.
TheOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:04 AM   #3
railforge

The usual solution for PhysX problems is to reboot, but if you've already tried that then the only way I can help is to tell you about my PhysXLoader.dll

I only bought, installed, and played 30 seconds of the game today, but I haven't had any errors so far.

Win 7 Pro 64-bit
Asus notebook, Intel i7 CPU
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870

PhysXLoader.dll
/windows/SysWOW64/PhysXLoader.dll

Ver. 2.8.1.24
Size 69.2KB
Date Modified 4/3/2009 12:39PM aka April 3rd
Signed by: NVIDIA Corporation
Signed Time: ‎Friday, ‎April ‎03, ‎2009 12:39:19 PM
Countersigned: VeriSign Time Stamping Services Signer - G2

Is yours the same as that?
railforge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:52 AM   #4
zexHawky

Banned
Uninstall any physx related components in add/remove, perhaps using revo uninstaller, reboot if needed.

Install the game's physx, or maybe from nvidia, and try again?
zexHawky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:51 PM   #5
FrostyTheUnbald

Thanks for the input men!
Your posts have been my clues so far.

This is what I have done:

I have yet to upgrade Windows from XP. I am waiting to install a dx11 video card when it is actually used in games and priced right so I am still using Windows XP and an old Nvida 9800 GT.

I did a search for PhysXLoader.dll and found only three on my hard drive. They were in 'Mass Effect\Binaries,' 'Alpha prime' and 'gothic 3.'

I copied the 'gothic 3' PhysXLoader.dll into the 'risen\bin' folder.
The error then read "The procedure entry 0point NxGetCookingLib could not be located in the dynamic link library PhysXLoader.dll." Now I realize that these are all custom files for their particular application.

OK, then, delete the PhysX copy file and install the latest 32 bit drivers 260.99 which includes the physX support.

A search for PhysXLoader.dll now shows four instances of the file, namely the three previous ones and a new one in the Nvidia folder.

Launching Risen now gets me past the TAGES initialization with the serial number preloaded by steam and the game will now start to launch but crashes with an 'engine fatal error: Can't find correct context in gfx-system'.

OK, so now I delete local content and reload the game, exit Steam and cold start the machine.

However when I launch the game I still get
'engine fatal error: Can't find correct context in gfx-system.
Filename:le:\Project\Platform\pc\Source\Engine\adm in\ge_application.epp>,line:#1609'
FrostyTheUnbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:13 PM   #6
railforge

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyTheUnbald View Post
"This application has failed to start because PhysXLoader.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."
There are three threads on this exact error in Deep Silver's tech support subforums. Unfortunately they're a little tricky to find, because all of the error messages are given in German.

Quote:
Die Anwendung konnte nicht gestartet werden, weil PhysXLoader.dll nicht gefunden wurde. Neuinstallation der Anwendung könnte das Problem beheben.
Just search the entire Risen subforum for PhysXLoader.dll to see the threads. Then post a new thread in the English Tech Support subforum with links to the other three threads. It's obviously a known problem, so there may be a known solution for it. It beats trying to struggle past it on your own.

Last edited by railforge: 11-16-2010 at 02:20 PM.
railforge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:30 PM   #7
FrostyTheUnbald

I received my first Steam help reply yesterday afternoon. The essence of it was this, "There may be secondary installers that you need to run."

Here is the essence of my reply and result,

"I downloaded a fresh Direct X update file from your link and, when prompted, pointed the expansion program at the 'risen\redist\dx' directory where it found and replaced several files.

In the 'Physx' folder 'PhysX_9.09.0408_SystemSoftware.exe' (the only file there) still runs from explorer but it responds again with "The currently installed version is newer".

'TagesSetup.exe' responds with 'The drivers were correctly configured and are running.'

The 'vcredist_x86.exe' file runs with a German interface but, I believe, successfully and terminates in about 20 seconds without an error message.

Unhappily I am still getting the same error message when I load Steam and try to run Risen. "
FrostyTheUnbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:53 AM   #8
FrostyTheUnbald

Steam referred me to Risen help and they provided the suggestion which worked:

"The error indicates that the game is trying to
start at a resolution that the monitor does not support. Usually this happens
when the game has already been started at least once with a different screen
attached to the PC. Even though this does not seem to be the case here, please
try deleting the file "ConfigUser.xml" in one of the following folders,
depending on your operating system:

(Vista & 7): C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Risen\
(XP): C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application