Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
UpInFlames
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Reputation: 4
Posts: 14
[Suggestion] Trading-in games

I'm sure that every Steam user has games that he/she doesn't want anymore for various reasons. Giving users the ability to gift owned games would probably result in the creation of a digital second-hand market which I wager is something that the publishers and Steam would want to avoid at all costs.

So the only thing that's left as an option is to allow users to trade-in games to Steam directly.

How would it work?

Users would receive about 20% refund of either the current or the paid price, whichever is lower (there's no sense in refunding 20% of a 50€ game if it was bought during a Steam sale or if it was bought years ago when its value was higher).

The refund would go directly into the user's Steam Wallet which would ensure that Steam ultimately gets that money back.

The result?

Users would be able to get rid of unwanted games and get something back, but more importantly, it would cause people to open up even further to digital distribution. I also think that people would be more receptive to fully-priced games instead of waiting for deals. This may not be so significant for high profile games such as Call of Duty, but lower profile/indie games would definitely profit from this.

I believe this would benefit both gamers and Steam greatly. Steam's sales/profits should increase as users would be more open to impulse buys and buying a game they're not quite sure about. Most likely people wouldn't be waiting for deals so much knowing that if they hate the game or something, they could still get something back for it. Then they would forward the money for another game - and so on.

Ideally, something like this is already in the works and this is the real intended purpose of Steam Wallet. If not, hopefully you will consider it.
UpInFlames is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
Mister Sponge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Reputation: 0
Posts: 23
You sir, are a genius.

+1
Mister Sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 03:33 AM   #3
Jono00
 
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Reputation: 80
Posts: 398
20% is a little... little. Don't you think?
I like the idea other than that.
Jono00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:25 AM   #4
tobyface
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Reputation: 0
Posts: 10
Very excellent idea! However it should be around a third of the price I think. Does anyone officially from steam ever comment on these sort of ideas?
tobyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:16 AM   #5
UpInFlames
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Reputation: 4
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Sponge View Post
You sir, are a genius.

+1
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono00 View Post
20% is a little... little. Don't you think?
I like the idea other than that.
As opposed to nothing? I think 20% is fair, however if Valve would be willing to refund more, that would be awesome. They could even have publisher/developer-specific refunds as an incentive to buy games from publishers that offer a bigger refund.
UpInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:27 AM   #6
UpInFlames
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Reputation: 4
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyface View Post
Very excellent idea! However it should be around a third of the price I think. Does anyone officially from steam ever comment on these sort of ideas?
If they are working on this already or even considering it, I doubt they would admit it. Even having a Valve employee saying that he likes the idea would probably constitute as news.

The only way I could see someone from Valve posting in this thread would be to reject the idea. In which case, I hope they don't post in here.
UpInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:32 AM   #7
Teronfel
 
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Reputation: 33
Posts: 468
I don't think this is gonna happern because valve would lose money.

If you buy a game for 20€ and then "sell" it for 4€(20%) and then let's say you buy another game for 10€ you spent 26€.

The other guy gets a game of 20€ for 4€.

So,valve would earn 26€ instead of 50.It's almost 50% difference.It would benefit us but i don't think a company would do something like that.
Teronfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:51 AM   #8
ester25
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Reputation: 680
Posts: 6,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyface View Post
Does anyone officially from steam ever comment on these sort of ideas?
Not on large scale ideas like that.

BTW, there was a rumour that they were implementing this recently, and the Valve came out quickly and dismissed it saying they have no plans for any sort of returns.

I wouldn't hold your breath on this feature.
ester25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:17 AM   #9
Easton's Ghost
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Valve has said there will be no trading of games as you don't officially own the games.

I doubt this will be implemented, or even taken into consideration.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:13 PM   #10
xtsdaveturd
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Calling it "trading it in" is a misnomer, really, since we don't really have a physical 'something' we are talking about. Just a bunch of code we downloaded, that steam already has to begin with. They wouldn't be getting anything back, and they couldn't really "re-sell" the code again, like it's a used disc or something.

It would make more sense to simply call it a coupon for repeat customers or something. Perhaps a ten dollar break on the price of a regularly-priced game. Applicable only on non-special sale items or something. We delete the content from our system, they throw us a little bone to chip a bit off the price of another game.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a grate idea. I just think calling it a trade-in when there's nothing to trade is not the way to label it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #11
UpInFlames
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Reputation: 4
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teronfel View Post
I don't think this is gonna happern because valve would lose money.

If you buy a game for 20€ and then "sell" it for 4€(20%) and then let's say you buy another game for 10€ you spent 26€.

The other guy gets a game of 20€ for 4€.

So,valve would earn 26€ instead of 50.It's almost 50% difference.It would benefit us but i don't think a company would do something like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easton's Ghost View Post
Valve has said there will be no trading of games as you don't officially own the games.

I doubt this will be implemented, or even taken into consideration.
You guys misunderstand. I'm not talking about selling or trading games with other users. I am talking about trading-in games directly to Steam. The money we would receive as a refund would go into our Steam Wallets which de facto means that it never really leaves Steam at all.
UpInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:39 PM   #12
UpInFlames
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Reputation: 4
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtsdaveturd View Post
Calling it "trading it in" is a misnomer, really, since we don't really have a physical 'something' we are talking about. Just a bunch of code we downloaded, that steam already has to begin with. They wouldn't be getting anything back, and they couldn't really "re-sell" the code again, like it's a used disc or something.

It would make more sense to simply call it a coupon for repeat customers or something. Perhaps a ten dollar break on the price of a regularly-priced game. Applicable only on non-special sale items or something. We delete the content from our system, they throw us a little bone to chip a bit off the price of another game.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a grate idea. I just think calling it a trade-in when there's nothing to trade is not the way to label it.
Well, we get the license, right? And each user has their own key for each game, right? So that license/key is revoked and Steam can sell it to someone else.

I don't care what they call it as long as they implement it.
UpInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:42 PM   #13
ester25
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Reputation: 680
Posts: 6,363
it doesn't matter what you call it, or if you trade with others or back for store credit.

You want trade-ins? Buy here: GreenmanGaming
ester25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:51 PM   #14
UpInFlames
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Reputation: 4
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ester25 View Post
it doesn't matter what you call it, or if you trade with others or back for store credit.

You want trade-ins? Buy here: GreenmanGaming
Of course it matters. Trading with others leaves Steam out of the loop. Trading-in does not. They are still in control.

I am well aware of Green Man. I am suggesting such a feature to Valve. I buy from other services as well, but I like Steam best and this would make it even better.
UpInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:54 PM   #15
Teronfel
 
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Reputation: 33
Posts: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpInFlames View Post
You guys misunderstand. I'm not talking about selling or trading games with other users. I am talking about trading-in games directly to Steam. The money we would receive as a refund would go into our Steam Wallets which de facto means that it never really leaves Steam at all.
It is a trade between you,steam and the other guy.In a trade it is supposed that every one is satisfied.This cannot happen here.The one that is benefited the most is the guy you are giving the game or code licence or whatever you want to call it.

And then think of this.If i can buy a game cheaper from you that you don't want anymore why would i buy it from steam?After a while everyone is gonna do the same until no one wants to buy from steam and all this system collapses.
Teronfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2012, All Rights Reserved.