Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series

Old 11-12-2010, 11:07 PM   #1
SKotteh

Why i love S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (SoC)

Having played almost 200 hours of STALKER and realising it's one of my favourite games of all time i decided to make this post..

Why i love STALKER.

For starters it's not like any other FPS game i've played before. However, it does have it's flaws - The game requires some very light modding. Heres a brief breakdown of the two mods I'd recommend.

STALKER Complete 2009
Easilly viewed as more of a fan patch than a "modification", this mod keeps the game almost identical to the original but with many bug fixes and graphical improvments. I would highly recommend using this mod for any first time playthrough.

Oblivion Lost 2.2
The "STALKER's playground" mod. Among other things it adds a better selection of guns and changes the pistol slot to a more universal "small weapon" slot allowing for more variety in loadout. Adds "Blowouts" which are a nice visual to run and hide from but more importantly each blowout alters the world keeping things fresher for longer. Anomalys move or change and loads of new mutants appear all over the place after a blowout. The freeplay after finishing in OL allows for alot of faction based play, You can even form a squad with your faction of choice's NPCs and go on your own raids. Artifact crafting/Larger belt are also a nice addition. I highly recommend this mod to anyone wanting to play STALKER again as a more open world. First timers could also use this mod but i feel some of the weapons and the extra artifact slots may make the game pre-completion a little bit too easy.

Now that that's out the way..

I've been playing with OL for a while now (Hell difficulty) and i can't seem to get tired of it. Every time i am sent to kill someone I find myself actually stalk them for a little while. Sometimes i don't even need to kill them due to the crazy randomness of some encounters. I've watched my targets sit at a camp fire only to get torn apart from all manners of mutants... Which brings me to my main self made mini game. The ingame PDA has a ranking system for the top 20 stalkers right? Well being number one isn't enough for me. I personally hunt the other 19 at all times. A name and a faction is all that guides me and it is not as easy as a kill quest giving you a marked target.
Alot of people seem to have a problem with how the guns handle and feel but i personally love how they feel to fire. Those longer range headshots always satisfy and Shotguns.. well.. they are always a pleasure to use.
I also seem to always make my own personal stash where i horde everything i don't use or sell, eventually having so many things i'd put a fully stocked armoury to shame.
Alot of people i know can't seem to get into Stalker however and it saddens me. They usually all end the same way aswell, complaining they cant kill people across a field with a full pistol clip or that they die far too quickly. There's also the rarer "Bad games need mods" excuse. A big sad face to that is really all i can do there.

That's the end of my rant for now. If you need to know anything feel free to ask. Anyone as fond of stalker as me should try the top 20 hunt. It's great fun untill you find yourself friends with the target.

Last edited by SKotteh: 11-12-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:55 PM   #2
GuardianAngel42

Wow, that top 20 hunt seems pretty tough, but certainly fun given the amount of challenge. I think I'll check that out.

I also love STALKER. I really love the freedom I have to do things and just wander about. It's like Fallout 3 only better because the surroundings are actually atmospheric and not ruined by horrible character design (IMO). Humor like in Fallout just doesn't have a place after the apocalypse IMO.

I've only ever been a console gamer, but I built my own PC on the suggestion of my mom who said it was easy. 1 year later it is finally working perfectly, and I even managed to get a GPU upgrade from an RMA. I am absolutely loving the dynamic lighting. I've seen it used in other games but in this one, with weather patterns and lighting storms, it simply becomes a different beast altogether.

With the Complete Mod this game is almost perfect. I played most of CoP before I played SoC so I got used to and loved the weapon and armor upgrades.

I also like adjusting for bullet drop. Most games don't have this, and since I'm usually a sniper in games I really like to be challenged. Weapon condition is also a plus, and I love the Russian talking wherever I go.
GuardianAngel42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 12:15 AM   #3
Oliolli

Im always glad to see players who like STALKER. So many people flame this game as SKotteh said, I guess they just rather play games where guns have 100% accuracy and regenerative health.

Also started thinking, maybe I should try The Hunt as well
Oliolli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:11 AM   #4
SKotteh

Good Hunting Stalker!

I'm very fond of the way the AI and the A-Life work. I had actually done several raids with the same duty member before i started "The hunt". I'll never forget him. Full Exo suit badass type guy. His name was even Terminator something. I had to put him down

~Edit~ I only just now realised i typo'd my name, was meant to be Skotteh not SKotteh
Oh well

Last edited by SKotteh: 11-13-2010 at 01:15 AM.
SKotteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:04 AM   #5
GuardianAngel42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKotteh View Post
Good Hunting Stalker!

I'm very fond of the way the AI and the A-Life work. I had actually done several raids with the same duty member before i started "The hunt". I'll never forget him. Full Exo suit badass type guy. His name was even Terminator something. I had to put him down

~Edit~ I only just now realised i typo'd my name, was meant to be Skotteh not SKotteh
Oh well
Skotteh as in Scotty, or something else?
Old 11-13-2010, 07:46 AM   #6
marie pavie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKotteh View Post
I had actually done several raids with the same duty member before i started "The hunt". I'll never forget him. Full Exo suit badass type guy. His name was even Terminator something. I had to put him down

Oh well
Terminator Editor. Don't be killin everyone now, just 'cause their name is on a list!
marie pavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:42 AM   #7
echoshock

I wish that ranking system was in the other two games...
echoshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:01 AM   #8
marie pavie

I killed a lot here.
marie pavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:43 AM   #9
Metazare

Are complete 2009 and oblivion lost compatible with each other? I wanna give lost a shot but I'm too lazy to move all my complete stuff just to use oblivion lost. While also missing some of the complete features I like.
Metazare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:12 AM   #10
Purple Monkey

Just rename the gamedata folder to gamedata_complete then install OL, no need to install/uninstall all the time. Best to tag you saves with the mod so not to load the wrong ones.
Purple Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:04 PM   #11
Hectorb911

I have finished my first playthrough ( although bad ending so redoing last part) on highest difficulty vanilla.

I don't get why people have so many issues. Sure there are a few little annoyances like quests that don't update, so what.
The game still seems solid to me.

I love it just the way it was made. Don't know any other yet.
Hectorb911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:53 PM   #12
SKotteh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metazare View Post
Are complete 2009 and oblivion lost compatible with each other? I wanna give lost a shot but I'm too lazy to move all my complete stuff just to use oblivion lost. While also missing some of the complete features I like.
Which features from Complete are you referring to? As someone else said already it's best to rename gamedata folders if you do want to use multiple mods. I don't think they are compatible though.
SKotteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:30 PM   #13
Metazare

I'll just do that then.
Metazare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:13 PM   #14
GuardianAngel42

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie pavie View Post
I killed a lot here.
Wow dude, that's impressive. They should log shots fired too.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:42 PM   #15
P-K

Banned
Am i the only the only one that prefers just standard game i hated that complete mod all i use is a ton of skins and sounds from fpsbanana

also some bugs can be amusing lol http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39131/Screenshots/guide.jpg
P-K is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series