Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Risen Series

Old 11-14-2010, 12:05 PM   #1
doberlec

Exclamation [Deep Silver Message] Do not panic!

Dear Risen fans/buyers,

As you're fully aware, the server ran out of activation keys for Risen over the weekend. It is not because an Ogre broke into the offices of Valve and stole them but because of an unexpected "tsunami of orders" which nobody could anticipate in such a magnitude.

On the one hand we're very happy that you decided to buy the game since this shows us that Piranha Bytes and we did the right thing by investing a lot of time to get a fantastic game.

On the other hand it forces me to beg you for your patience until we finished the "quest for the missing keys". While our support is also around for you on weekends, feeding the server with activation keys is not a trivial task so we'll have to wait for the experts to arrive in the office on Monday. The keys will then be passed to Valve and every legitimate buyer should get his key to play the game as it worked before. After all we didn't have any issues before.

Please bear with us until we sortet out the issue and although I know that we caused a lot of distress and anger I'm pretty confident that that everyone of you will be able to enjoy the game shortly.

Stay tuned for further news in this thread.

best rgds,
Daniel
Senior Brand Manager @ Deep Silver

P.s. In the meantime please don't try to circumvent the copy protection since this might be a violation of the TOS of Steam and could endager your Steam account.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:13 PM   #2
bagofbones

this post is on the Deep Silver forums as an official "Sticky"

Seems genuine.

http://forum.deepsilver.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=52745
bagofbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
viacin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofbones View Post
this post is on the Deep Silver forums as an official "Sticky"

Seems genuine.

http://forum.deepsilver.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=52745
ty bag, good to see someone is doing it right.
viacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
doberlec

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by viacin View Post
yeah, I could make some crap up and type it out myself too. Where did you get this mr 1st time poster? Where is your proof you didn't just pull this out of your butt?
I know it sounds unlikely... a guy from a publisher reading his Blackberry on a Sunday evening in Munich, Germany while he is doing his laundry. He gets alerted by an email from a colleague in the US office about the situation for Steam customers, fires off first mails to the experts to prepare them to tackle the issue on Monday morning and then posts in the Steam forums. However sometimes, such things happen.

P.s. Have to go to the dryer soon.
doberlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:22 PM   #5
Evil Kerek

Well there's here's soome thoughts on the matter, assuming it's a genuine post. I see no reason to dispute that it is.

#1 - Despite Risen having been on Steam for a while, Deep Silver apparently doesn't have a Developer tagged forum account. That's a bit of a warning sign.

#2 - Sunday afternoon is a bit late to finally respond to a problem that has been present since late Friday afternoon. And please don't tell me it's on the 'official' forums - if you don't realize that the Steam forums are where people are going to go first, you're being naive.

#3 - This problem occurred at least a few hours before close of business friday. Assuming we are willing to accept that no one felt the need to make something happen after hours (I'm not willing btw), there was still more than sufficient time to have solved this problem if Valve would stop acting like it's a non-issue. AT A MINIMUM, the buy page should have let us know there was a key problem. It would have made it a non-issue for me, rather than leaving me sitting here vowing never to buy a game from two companies that would treat me like this.
Evil Kerek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:25 PM   #6
Evil Kerek

And again let me point out - running out of keys is apparently an issue that has happened several times before. I will say this: I hold valve more reponsible for this than Deep Silver. There is apparnetly still nothing officially in place to handle this issue other than...well nothing.
Evil Kerek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:26 PM   #7
bagofbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Kerek View Post
Well there's here's soome thoughts on the matter, assuming it's a genuine post. I see no reason to dispute that it is.

#1 - Despite Risen having been on Steam for a while, Deep Silver apparently doesn't have a Developer tagged forum account. That's a bit of a warning sign.

Deep Silver is the publisher of the game. The game is developed by Piranha Bytes.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:30 PM   #8
Aesir Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by doberlec View Post
I know it sounds unlikely... a guy from a publisher reading his Blackberry on a Sunday evening in Munich, Germany while he is doing his laundry. He gets alerted by an email from a colleague in the US office about the situation for Steam customers, fires off first mails to the experts to prepare them to tackle the issue on Monday morning and then posts in the Steam forums. However sometimes, such things happen.

P.s. Have to go to the dryer soon.

This is where your charade falls through. A guy from a publisher reading his BB on a Sunday evening in Munich would be drinking bier and doing laundry on a Sunday evening. You are an imposter.
Aesir Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:38 PM   #9
MyLittleBirdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337gamers View Post

TAGES must be allowed to run because it is constantly gathering data to see if you have ever installed pirated software or if you have visited a website that discusses or has pirated software on it. TAGES can then disable your steam account due to the violations of the EULA you agreed to when signing up with steam.
Gotta say that this is complete BS. There is no legitmate way for a piece of software like TAGES to gather info on my system about which websites I've been on, send them back to wherever, sift through them and then lock up my steam account. That's complete toss. You don't think the TAGES people might get into a bit of trouble for doing stuff like that?

Besides - I have already had games that use TAGES on my system and I can categorically state that what you have said is, in fact, complete and utter, fear-mongering toss.
MyLittleBirdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:39 PM   #10
leketin

On the bright side... Does this sales badaboom mean we'll ever see the sequel?
leketin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:43 PM   #11
Dac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337gamers View Post
This is true per Steams EULA, if you try to remove DRM from a game or disable TAGES which monitors and scans your computer you get your steam account permabanned.

TAGES must be allowed to run because it is constantly gathering data to see if you have ever installed pirated software or if you have visited a website that discusses or has pirated software on it. TAGES can then disable your steam account due to the violations of the EULA you agreed to when signing up with steam.

WARNING: The above post which is a letter is a fake message made up by a regular forum poster it provides no proof as to the persons identity or verification of employment.

(Also a real employee would never steel a copyrighted image from the Simpsons and put it in a forum post)
TAGES IS PEEKIN IN UR BATHROOM WINDOW WATCHIN U PEE & TAKIN NOTES ABOUT IT

(if you can't see by now that 1337gamers is some sort of bizarre troll then I pity you, or you just got to these boards like an hour ago)
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:44 PM   #12
doberlec

Quote:
Actually we never needed to have one because most of the support is handled by Steam/Valve.

Quote:
#2 - Sunday afternoon is a bit late to finally respond to a problem that has been present since late Friday afternoon. And please don't tell me it's on the 'official' forums - if you don't realize that the Steam forums are where people are going to go first, you're being naive.
Timezones. Since such sensitive matter such as keys for activations can only be handled in the office in Munich, even if someone would've known earlier that wouldn't have changed that much. You're "Friday afternoon" is actually round about Friday midnight here over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesir Rising View Post
This is where your charade falls through. A guy from a publisher reading his BB on a Sunday evening in Munich would be drinking bier and doing laundry on a Sunday evening. You are an imposter.
Dude, Oktoberfest ist long gone and I don't drink at all so that makes my version of the story a bit more believable. I could of course also show you my businesscard, but that would take the fun out of the whole matter
doberlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:53 PM   #13
Aesir Rising

Quote:
I could of course also show you my businesscard, but that would take the fun out of the whole matter
Sweet. A business card. Are you hiring? Deepsilver is in obvious need of NA regional coverage. I happen to reside in NA, speak the local lingo, and have some familiarity with Deepsilver's library of published games.

Also, you carry Oktoberfest in your heart with you always. Just sayin'.

Last edited by Aesir Rising: 11-14-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Aesir Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:58 PM   #14
SiegfriedVII

Finally! That's all I wanted. If this message had been posted here on the first day of the problem, everyone would be just waiting patiently.
SiegfriedVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:01 PM   #15
bagofbones

Quote:
Actually we never needed to have one because most of the support is handled by Steam/Valve.

Timezones. Since such sensitive matter such as keys for activations can only be handled in the office in Munich, even if someone would've known earlier that wouldn't have changed that much. You're "Friday afternoon" is actually round about Friday midnight here over

Dude, Oktoberfest ist long gone and I don't drink at all so that makes my version of the story a bit more believable. I could of course also show you my businesscard, but that would take the fun out of the whole matter
second line from the bottom you can see "Planegg".

Planegg is the HQ for Deep Silver http://www.esl.eu/de/pro-series/season14/team/3968952/

I feel funny looking so hard into that......

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Risen Series