Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Fallout series

Old 11-16-2010, 03:16 PM   #1
Going Viral

Fallout 1 Windows 7 High Res + Color Fix

So, I dunno if everybody already has done this, but after gathering several fixes I've managed to get the Steam version of Fallout 1 running with the High Resolution patch and no color corruption.

Before I had to choose between the two, because I couldn't get sfall to run properly with the res patch, so it was either have a high res color nightmare or a low res eyesore. Not to mention the high res patch is not compatible with the unmodified steam version of the game.

This is a compilation of multiple fixes involving some different games so thanks to all that originally found different steps involved.

What I did to resolve the issue:

1. Go to your Fallout directory (C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/common/Fallout) and find the "falloutw.exe".

2. Right click on it and rename it to something else, it really doesn't matter what.

3. Download this ->http://teamx.ru/system/files/uploads....2.1-EN-RC.rar and extract it to your fallout directory. This adds a new .exe that is compatible with the high resolution patch.

4. Download the high resolution patch here ->http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dlo...d&file_id=1273. Extract it to your fallout directory, then run the "f1_res_patcher.exe" to install the high resolution patch.

5. Once that is done, open notepad and paste the following in there:

taskkill /F /IM Explorer.exe
falloutw.exe
Start explorer.exe

Once that is done, save it as "falloutw.bat" and save type "all files" and put it in the fallout directory with the falloutw.exe. This is a batch file that will turn off the explorer every time you start the game and turn it back on once you end it, which should fix the color isssues.

6. Run the batch file, set your desired resolution in the game options, and enjoy!

Old 12-29-2010, 05:33 PM   #2
iFallout

Possible to combine high res with windowed mode together? (and hopefully a drag-able window).
Also any possible ways to make the info/dialog box at the bottom left bigger? that spot is like smaller than my text message screen on my phone, its rediculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Viral View Post
So, I dunno if everybody already has done this, but after gathering several fixes I've managed to get the Steam version of Fallout 1 running with the High Resolution patch and no color corruption.

Before I had to choose between the two, because I couldn't get sfall to run properly with the res patch, so it was either have a high res color nightmare or a low res eyesore. Not to mention the high res patch is not compatible with the unmodified steam version of the game.

This is a compilation of multiple fixes involving some different games so thanks to all that originally found different steps involved.

1. Go to your Fallout directory (C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/common/Fallout) and find the "falloutw.exe".

2. Right click on it and rename it to something else, it really doesn't matter what.

3. Download this ->http://teamx.ru/system/files/uploads....2.1-EN-RC.rar and extract it to your fallout directory. This adds a new .exe that is compatible with the high resolution patch.

4. Download the high resolution patch here ->http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dlo...d&file_id=1273. Extract it to your fallout directory, then run the "f1_res_patcher.exe" to install the high resolution patch.

falloutw.exe
Start explorer.exe

Once that is done, save it as "falloutw.bat" and save type "all files" and put it in the fallout directory with the falloutw.exe. This is a batch file that will turn off the explorer every time you start the game and turn it back on once you end it, which should fix the color isssues.

6. Run the batch file, set your desired resolution in the game options, and enjoy!
Old 01-11-2011, 11:39 PM   #3
mike_01

Can you post the same fix for fallout 2?
mike_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:34 AM   #4
Dr. Bloodmoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_01 View Post
Can you post the same fix for fallout 2?
Just use Sfall for fallout 2, it's how I fix'd my version
Dr. Bloodmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:30 PM   #5
Prophecy420

Thank you so much!

I have been trying to fix this problem for months, and tried every solution I came across. But this is the only one that worked. So Thanks again!
Prophecy420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:06 AM   #6
Prayer350z

EDIT: nevermind got it to work.

Last edited by Prayer350z: 04-01-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:56 AM   #7
Raxel

Can't seem to get it to work...

After following these instructions, patching everything twice there really isn't a change. Still dodgy colours.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:05 AM   #8
kara_bulut

Yeah any high resolution patch pretty much fixes this colour issue.

Just search NMA for them if OP's fix is not working.
kara_bulut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:55 AM   #9
altair6752

Raxel, did you run the batch file or the application? It only deploys if you run the .bat file you made.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:05 AM   #10
Raxel

Do I have to run the .bat myself? That just restarts my explorer (The task bar dissapears for a few seconds)

EDIT: Haha, thanks. Thats all i had to do. I didn't think the .bat would launch the application. Does it register in steam (Can I launch in steam?) And register as time played/screenshots?
Old 06-08-2011, 02:11 AM   #11
cmortimer362

hey

I done all of this exactly as you said, it definetly fixes the colour issues I had but for some reason it won't let me pick up or equip any items now. I was wondering if anyone else was having this problem or if there is a known fix.

-Also, I just tried loading for the second time, and now when it loads there is just a black screen, no menus or anything so I can't play.

Last edited by cmortimer362: 06-08-2011 at 02:14 AM.
cmortimer362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:56 AM   #12
disulfiram

Thanks for this thread. This works fine with White Label physical copy of the game. I guess it would work with others as well.
disulfiram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:19 PM   #13
Vert1g0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Viral View Post

falloutw.exe
Start explorer.exe

Just downloaded the complete trilogy from Interplay and had some color issues with fallout 1 and I can CONFIRM that this works for me! I'm running Windows 7 x64. Wonder if there is a fix for Fallout 2 and Tactics as well? THANK YOU THOUGH!
Vert1g0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:28 AM   #14
Slinden

Worked for me, thanks!
Slinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #15
constantcompile

Any chance of getting this thread stickied? The fix worked for me and I have the feeling others will need it as well.
constantcompile is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Fallout series