Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series

Old 11-17-2010, 09:35 AM   #1
Skanna

Japanese Bushido overpowered?

Lately I'm playing as Japan (Civ5) - their special ability (Bushido) is really awesome. It makes your wounded units fight like if they would have full HP, and thanks to that it is possible to wreck enemy lands without brakes for healing. Pretty powerful - or maybe even overpowered? I had read on other forums that Bushido should be nerfed - what do you think?

Oh, and not to mention funny fights when only one man in your unit win with full enemy squad - I made a clip with few actions like that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dM9TCvaDWg
Old 11-17-2010, 11:00 AM   #2
steveg700

From my experiences playing Japan, it's quite powerful. For those pursuing domination victories, Japan is a major contender.

I forget: does it work defensively as well as offensively? When you attack a damaged Japanese unit, is your strength matched against the unit's full strength?
steveg700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:06 AM   #3
Skanna

Yes, it works in defense too. Check around 2:20 in the clip, how one Scout fight with a pack of barbarians (they were attacking).
Skanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:07 PM   #4
Strategerize

Thats pretty powerful, but all other units can get the free heal from exp to compensate. I've had to use my upgrades to full heal before, and it works. Because the mechanic is found in normal play I dont see it as being too OP. Hard to overcome? yes. Impossible? no. Just use overwhelming force and hopefully the Japan player builds Pyrimids or Stonehenge... aka wastes shields.
Strategerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:59 PM   #5
TomKQT

You still have to heal your units. The ability just removes the strength modifier based on health (on 50 % health it's 25 % down etc, so it's max. 50 % down) but the unit still has just 10 hitpoints and still is losing them in fight.

A Japanese unit with 2 HPs will fight with its full strength, that's true. But even if it had 10 HPs and if it attacked a unit which is not a way weaker, it would probably lose few HPs. Which means in this case it would die.
TomKQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:01 PM   #6
steveg700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strategerize View Post
Just use overwhelming force and hopefully the Japan player builds Pyrimids or Stonehenge... aka wastes shields.
Gotta confess, I have no idea what this last comment means.
steveg700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:39 PM   #7
Skanna

From what I understand, Strategerize is writing about multiplayer - when Japan player gonna waste materials on early wonders, you can build more troops to win by domination (or at least remove the "wonder" player). Shields are the same as hammers for production (at least they were in Civ 1).

And for healing from exp - Japan units can do the same, so what's the point?

@TomKQT
True, but still - enemy is significant weaker when wounded - your units have full strength. You can spend less time to heal and move on.
Skanna is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series