Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Ion Assault

Old 11-21-2010, 03:00 PM   #31
phertiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluppomat View Post
I wrote an email to the developers asking for a patch that enables gamepad support.

They answered this:

"Thank you for your interests in Ion Assault. We already started to upgrade the game with another patch that offers additional support for Game Controller. Unfortunately, the sale numbers dropped disastrously after the recent negative feedback. For this reason, the work on Ion Assault has finally canceled. [..]"

Maybe the thread "DON'T BUY THE GAME" could be a reason for that
Hilarious. Now I'm really disappointed that I bought their idiot game. Hey developer: you should cry more.
phertiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:30 AM   #32
Dmytry

The Polynomial Team
ghmm. Being a developer myself I feel sorry for whatever guy developed this game... its a ton of work to make a game, even with no controller support (controller support is very little work comparing to rest of game usually, tho).

For the sales dropping, this thread has been viewed only 1 thousand times, so it can't have had significant effect. I'd say less than 50 sales lost. There's a sales peak in first few days, then it wears off.

Last edited by Dmytry: 11-22-2010 at 02:34 AM.
Dmytry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:32 AM   #33
Bluppomat

Yeah, it must be pathetical for any indie developer too see that PC gamer are not even willing to pay 9$ for a game like this. Beside the issue with the Game Controller the game is well polished and offers many unique features (particles, power ups, etc.)

Also, the few reviews of the PC version were positive.

I don't how much these guys spent on developing the game, but I am pretty sure that 1000 sold copies won't even cover 10% of their expenses.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:14 AM   #34
Cyrielx2

Then let me be the first to say:

I like this game. I find it enjoyable and i had fun playing it, and i will continue to do so regardless of future developments.

9€ well spent imho
Cyrielx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:53 PM   #35
FAButzke

I'm probably going to get bashed but:

If a gamepad is so important for you guys, don't you think you are playing games on the wrong platform?
Maybe you should go and buy an Xbox. Seriously.

I'm not saying "DONT ADD GAMEPAD SUPPORT!" but I really don't think that a game needs to have gamepad support just to be playable by PC Gamers.

Before someone asks: No, I didn't play it YET. But even with all this hate, I'm considering buying it.
FAButzke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:03 PM   #36
kreed_uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAButzke View Post
I'm probably going to get bashed but:

If a gamepad is so important for you guys, don't you think you are playing games on the wrong platform?
Maybe you should go and buy an Xbox. Seriously.

I'm not saying "DONT ADD GAMEPAD SUPPORT!" but I really don't think that a game needs to have gamepad support just to be playable by PC Gamers.

Before someone asks: No, I didn't play it YET. But even with all this hate, I'm considering buying it.
Bash Bash.. The PC has supported controllers way before XBox 360 or PS3... Or do you think the only reason to game on a PC is because it uses a keyboard and mouse???

One of the joys of gaming on the PC is that it supports such a wide range of control devices so you can choose the one that you feel more comfortable with. If it was restricted to just KB and mouse then yes.. I probably would switch to the console.

I do own a PS3 by the way but haven't touched it.

Last edited by kreed_uk: 11-22-2010 at 03:09 PM.
kreed_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:41 PM   #37
ElfShotTheFood

Quote:
I wrote an email to the developers asking for a patch that enables gamepad support.

They answered this:

"Thank you for your interests in Ion Assault. We already started to upgrade the game with another patch that offers additional support for Game Controller. Unfortunately, the sale numbers dropped disastrously after the recent negative feedback. For this reason, the work on Ion Assault has finally canceled. [..]"

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/5...4055443685.jpg
ElfShotTheFood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:17 PM   #38
Memphix

Quote:

They answered this:

That really is a shame as it does look enjoyable, and very pretty. I do feel for them if a slight public bashing impacted sales of their game that badly, although i doubt it much, steam forums being infamous for it's droves of very vocal complainers.
TBH completely OTT thread titles that would potentially harm a product in it's opening hour should be edited. This thread doesn't open with info or opinion, it barks an order. There's plenty of room for opinion and user-info, even complaints on a product, but it's not really fair if one screamer yelling DON'T BUY dominates a fledgling sub-forum and is the first thing people see looking to read up on the game. A lot of indie relies on impulse buyers and a line that garish sticks in the head of a potential spender.

Still, it's sad that they seem to have just dropped it like a hot rock; doesn't really earn any more brownie points. The game's complete engine-wise, graphics & music all nice and shiny, surely the hard work's done and it's not much to give some control options?
Slap in some pad support, get some positive comments in response to showing product support and i reckon it could still fly. There's been plenty of positive comments too, not to mention some full-blown white knighting in it's honour.

Last edited by Memphix: 11-22-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Memphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:50 AM   #39
aXis100

What a let down.... I really think this is a good fun game in principle.

I bought this game for my home theatre PC as a fun coop game for parties, only to realise I'd been reading the reviews for the XBLA version. The lack of controller support and the removal of coop just beggars belief.

I don't agree that AHK scripts are a solution, they wont add back analog control and I really don't want to have to spend an hour nutting out AutoHotkey for a $10 game.

Finally, the idea that negative feedback affected their sales is bull - if they didnt want the feedback, don't release an inferior game (compared to their own XBLA version). Actually, the PC release and advertisement on Steam specials would have had a natural short lived peak anyway.

Unfortunately, dropping this like a hot rock will now count against them the next time they release a game. People do remember developers.

Last edited by aXis100: 11-23-2010 at 01:53 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:07 AM   #40
aXis100

PS - I just had another look and the reviews mentioned in the steam trailer (gameplanet 8/10 and eurogamer 9/10) are for the XBox version, and the ship movement in the trailer is too smooth to be WASD. No surprise why expectations weren't met.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:11 AM   #41
DiceDuP

Yet again another "Don't buy this game" thread. There is almost always someone who posts a thread with this title with every new PC release. Steam really should remove posts with this title, even if it is for a legitimate "opinion". Sure the OP has a point. There is no legitimate reason not to add code for a controller, if it is already coded for the xbox console it wouldn't take much time to convert it for the PC title.

As for competetive reasons? Well I think that excuse stinks, just look at a game like Beat Hazard. Top down shooter like this, and has duel stick controls for PC. Both kb/mouse and controller users compete on the leaderboards and there's no real issues.

I was going to buy this game for PC, and I agree that no controller is an issue which will likely mean I will just get it on Xbox. I'm an old timer when it comes to gaming, and there are some games that simply won't cut it without mouse and keyobard, like FPS, MMOs, RPG's, RTS and driving games. I cannot play any FPS game with a gamepad, it just doesn't feel right, but there are thousands if not millions of gamers who have only played these game types on a console and have become good players on them. But for a 2d top down shooter like this, it is such an "old school" format that a controller really should be considered.
DiceDuP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:10 AM   #42
FAButzke

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreed_uk View Post
Bash Bash.. The PC has supported controllers way before XBox 360 or PS3... Or do you think the only reason to game on a PC is because it uses a keyboard and mouse???

One of the joys of gaming on the PC is that it supports such a wide range of control devices so you can choose the one that you feel more comfortable with. If it was restricted to just KB and mouse then yes.. I probably would switch to the console.

I do own a PS3 by the way but haven't touched it.
You seem to have missed this part of my post:

"I'm not saying "DONT ADD GAMEPAD SUPPORT!" but I really don't think that a game needs to have gamepad support just to be playable by PC Gamers."

You can read it like this: "A game shouldn't have to get this kind of hate just because it doesn't have gamepad support."

It's ALMOST as if Xbox users start complaining about games not having keyboard and mouse support. (Please, notice the ALMOST)

This is NOT gamebreaking. Could they've added gamepad support? Of course, but they did not. So just play it with a keyboard and mouse or don't play it at all. But please, it's hardly a motive to start making a big deal out of this.
This is just my opinion.

Last edited by FAButzke: 11-23-2010 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Spacing
FAButzke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:48 AM   #43
toejam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmytry View Post
ghmm. Being a developer myself I feel sorry for whatever guy developed this game... its a ton of work to make a game, even with no controller support (controller support is very little work comparing to rest of game usually, tho).

For the sales dropping, this thread has been viewed only 1 thousand times, so it can't have had significant effect. I'd say less than 50 sales lost. There's a sales peak in first few days, then it wears off.
As long as we have Devs that stick around and provide support, talk to the community, and keep updating the games, we'll have people coming in and buying games - hell just because of your post here I'm going to check out your games forum and take a looksie and see what's been happening, and give the demo a whirl.
toejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:03 PM   #44
COREPLAY

COREPLAY
Hi,

due to the fact that so many people asked for the support of Game Controllers, we will release an update for 'Ion Assault' in the next days.

The coming update fixes some minor issues like the corner desktop bug as well as adding support for Xbox360 Game Controller (or other compatible XInput Dualstick Gamepads).

I also changed the title of this thread to a more precise meaning.

Regards
Peter

(Lead Programmer, COREPLAY)

Last edited by COREPLAY: 11-23-2010 at 12:15 PM.
COREPLAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:40 PM   #45
internisus

Quote:
Originally Posted by COREPLAY View Post
Hi,

due to the fact that so many people asked for the support of Game Controllers, we will release an update for 'Ion Assault' in the next days.

The coming update fixes some minor issues like the corner desktop bug as well as adding support for Xbox360 Game Controller (or other compatible XInput Dualstick Gamepads).

I also changed the title of this thread to a more precise meaning.

Regards
Peter

(Lead Programmer, COREPLAY)
Hi, Peter. Thanks so much for listening to those who were disappointed with the game as well as hesitant would-be customers. We were concerned that COREPLAY had decided to drop all support for Ion Assault on the PC because of negative feedback and poor sales; once the issues have been resolved, I sincerely hope that you will experience a strong turnaround on that front.

I will immediately update the opening post to reflect the upcoming patch so that any shoppers coming into the forum will be informed and reassured.

I also do not mind your thread title change to "MISSING CONTROLLER SUPPORT"; after reading Memphix's argument, I have to agree that I should have been more precise. I was writing under the influence of anger and resentment at the time.

I wish you luck with the update and success in the future.
internisus is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Ion Assault