Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, The

Old 11-18-2010, 03:51 PM   #1
bobzilla21

Steam vs. GoG

Which should I buy from?

Steam:
+ Steam Cloud
+ Achievements

GoG:
+ no DRM
+ preorder comes with a bonus artbook + extra game
+ other minor extras

I can't decide. Steam Cloud is awesome...but I really want the artbook + game as well. D:

Last edited by bobzilla21: 11-18-2010 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
JayShadow

Yeah, I got it on Steam but the Art book was really tempting. I'd rather have the physical art book, but those are only in the Collector's Edition.

And the achievements on Steam are a definite. Not sure why they haven't emphasized this on Steam, but CD Projekt announced it when they announced that the Steam pre-order was active.
JayShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:04 PM   #3
Kiya

Steam wins for me every time. I pre-ordered from here as soon as I saw it was available.
Kiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
bobzilla21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayShadow View Post
And the achievements on Steam are a definite. Not sure why they haven't emphasized this on Steam, but CD Projekt announced it when they announced that the Steam pre-order was active.
Oh, didn't realize they announced it already.

Either way, I guess I still have a while to think about it. 6 months should be plenty for me to make a decision I hope. :/
bobzilla21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:15 PM   #5
jfunk825

You also get a to pick another free GOG game from a short list of some classic RPGs if that interests you (I already own most of them on GOG).

I love Steam, but I'll take a stand-alone completely DRM free installer any time.

Achievements are meaningless to me, but obviously that's something GOG doesn't offer if that's your cup o' tea.
jfunk825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:29 PM   #6
cybertario

I know, Valves DRM is non intrusive and transparent, but DRM is DRM even when we cant see it. IMHO GOG is the better option... But its just my opinion from my DRM point of view, besides that, Steam is a great service.

Competition is great!!! (for us at least )

cybertario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:37 AM   #7
FrostyTheUnbald

I am wondering about the inevitable patching. I know nothing about how that might work with GOG.
FrostyTheUnbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:21 AM   #8
JayShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyTheUnbald View Post
I am wondering about the inevitable patching. I know nothing about how that might work with GOG.
Hopefully they have something in-game to take care of that.

Earlier this year it was kinda a pain to get all the patches needed for my original version of Witcher 1 to get it to the full current version. The official site only had 1.5 patch available. I had to go somewhere else for the Enhanced Edition. Then a 3rd place for the Director's Cut patch. If I had wanted the extra fan mods that they distributed with the Director's Cut that would have been more separate downloads.
JayShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:35 AM   #9
eetcheez

GOG for me! Steam gets enough of my money as it is, and I'd like to support CDP as much as I can, so buying it on GOG is the best way to do so.

Achievements don't matter to me, never saw any use for Steam Cloud since I'm almost always on the same PC, so none of those matter. I think you should also mention one of the pros in pre-ordering off GOG is that you're not asked to pay a single cent until release date.

Also, for UK and Europeans, they will refund you the extra you're paying over US prices as in-game credit if I'm not mistaken, so it's good if such a thing interests you.
eetcheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:20 AM   #10
Grunt7684

I went to see that GOG thing, and they seem to specialize in older releases. They have a lot of stellar ones, but still, OLD.

W2 looks like it's breaking from that trend for them though...
Grunt7684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:41 AM   #11
andruman

gogs 100% drm free policy totally owns steam. ill go for gog
Old 11-19-2010, 05:03 AM   #12
jfunk825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt7684 View Post
I went to see that GOG thing, and they seem to specialize in older releases. They have a lot of stellar ones, but still, OLD.

W2 looks like it's breaking from that trend for them though...
I think GOG is only really getting this because CD Projekt is the sister company of GOG. I think this whole thing is really more about promoting GOG than Witcher. They're just hoping to see it bring some new customers to GOG who will see all the other stuff they have to offer and stick around.

Any time a company chooses to release a new game in a completely DRM free manner, I'll buy immediately at launch for full price just to support the decision. (Assuming I have any interest in the game in the first place of course).
jfunk825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:49 AM   #13
banished_one

Well to be honest i try to buy my games via steam because it makes playing with your friends much easier but since witcher2 isn't going to have any multiplayer options and GoG is the developers sister company(every $ goes directly to the devs) i might go for GoG on this one. DRM isn't a big issue for me as after buying the game i give myself the liberty of downloading an "illegal" copy of it.
banished_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:37 AM   #14
kotli

I going GoG for the free classic game and extra store credit, steam offers nothing special (just a making of video instead of the "art book").
kotli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:20 AM   #15
Trodamus

It did not occur to me that GOG and CD Projekt are sister companies, and as such every dollar you spend to buy the Witcher 2 from GOG goes directly to the devs.

I like that. I have no idea what Steam's cut is, but I'm fine with downloading the patch via fileplanet. GOG's downloadable install file will likely update to include any patches, so you can probably optionally just download the install file again once the patches have been released. Hell, they'll probably have the patch on GOG.com too.
Trodamus is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, The