Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Call of Duty series > Black Ops

Old 11-18-2010, 05:19 PM   #1
p5ychokilla

Black Ops Console Command List

As there was a question on another post about console commands, I thought we should collect and list all the known commands here for people's reference.

These commands can also be used/edited in your config file which can be found here :

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty black ops\players\config_mp.cfg

If you are editing these in your config then just type them as is, if you are using them in the console then type the character \ first or you will just see them come up on screen as text.

I'll start off, if you have any more confirmed commands then please list them for us

__________________________________________________ _____________________

cg_drawfps on

Enables the FPS counter, you'll see it in the top right corner of the screen. Use the same command and off to disable.

cg_drawfpsonly 1

Shows your in game FPS

com_maxfps X

Range = 1-1000

It can improve lag to set your max fps. If you are using VSync then set your maxfps to 60. Replace 'X' with a the number. Use '0' zero to unlock maxfps.

r_flameFX_fps 30

15 is default, LOW FIRE FPS FIX

cg_fov 80

FOV = Field of View, 65 is the default, 80 is a good value

drawlagometer 1

Shows the LAG-O-METER on your screen to see if you have a smooth connection or you are having connection problems, a smooth graph is good, unsmooth is not.

r_multiGpu

This should only be enabled if you have multiple graphics cards or a graphics card with multiple GPUs. If you don't have multiple GPUs, don't know what this means, or are having issues with your MultiGPU solution, please set this to "0".

r_multithreaded_device

This setting should be enabled for EVERYBODY as the minimum requirements for Black Ops clearly states that you need a multithreaded (multicore) CPU to run the game. However, some people have noticed that by setting this to "0" some of the skipping lag is relieved. Test this out only as a last resort.

r_vsync

VSync prevents screen tearing. If you don't know what that is, just set it to "0" because you probably don't care anyway. Otherwise, VSync usually doesn't have any negative performance issues with today's graphics cards. However, there may be a few performance issues linked to VSync with the current release of Black Ops. Try setting this to "0" for compatibility.

r_blur_allowed

This setting enables Blur shader effects. If you have a strong shader card, this setting may be negligible. Otherwise, just go ahead and set this to "0".

r_distortion

This setting enables Distortion shader effects. If you have a strong shader card, this setting may be negligible. Otherwise, just go ahead and set this to "0".

r_dof_enable

This setting enables Depth of Field shader effects. If you have a strong shader card, this setting may be negligible. Otherwise, just go ahead and set this to "0".

r_glow_allowed

This setting enables Glow (HDR?) shader effects. Normally, this should have a negligible performance impact. HOWEVER, this setting seems to be buggy! Performance improved DRAMATICALLY when I set this option to "0".

rate

Default = 25000

Rate is the rate at which the client sends packets to the server. If you set this too low, below 10000 or so, you run the risk of sending insufficient data to the server and lagging out. Set this too high, above 50000 or so, and you run the risk of flooding your connection to the server. This setting should be adjusted according to your connection speed and may take some fine tuning.

cl_maxpackets

Default = 100

This setting controls how many packets the client will hold to ensure packet transmission. If you set this setting to low, below 20 or so, then you run the risk of being disconnected prematurely.

If you set this setting too high, above 150 or so, then you run the risk of continually resending redundant data and lowering your ping (or worse, getting choked). This setting is very hard to tune because it depends on so many factors beyond your own connection.

Most people have found setting this to 100 is a good compromise for most servers.

Improve net play by setting this to 100 or half of your max fps

snaps 30

This is possibly the most important setting for getting a good connection.
Snaps setting determines how many updates you recieve from the server. 20 to 30 for
56K connects in quake series 40 for high speed internet im sure the same for cod. (30 is fine).

stoprecord (Used in console)

Helps some people with stutter other people (like me) it did nothing. Doesn't hurt anything

Old 11-18-2010, 05:28 PM   #2
WallRide187

Thank you its useful to have these.

They should sticky this
WallRide187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:31 PM   #3
Furyhunter

I'm calling for a sticky; this is a massively useful thread. Thanks for the post!

Your description for cg_drawfps is wrong; the values range from 0-3 and each step has a different type of meter. For most purposes, 1 (Simple) is good for determining performance.

Last edited by Furyhunter: 11-18-2010 at 05:34 PM. Reason: cg_drawfps correction
Furyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:36 PM   #4
Vaari

It's the first time I've seen someone list the r_flameFX_fps command. As for sticky, I'd prefer it'd be a thread with all solutions, not just config tweaks.
Vaari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:38 PM   #5
Dark_hunt3r

+1 for you chap, good post. And yes should be stickied
Dark_hunt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:01 PM   #6
NaOHSpree

Nice post, too bad the FOV is glitchy and you only see more of your weapon not from your entire view.
NaOHSpree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:07 AM   #7
Rubicksman

Console no longer working

After today's Steam update, the Black Ops console is no longer available on single player, zombie or multiplayer modes. I've checked the monkeytoy value in the config file and it is still set to 1. They just removed the ability to use the console. I'm very upset about this.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:11 AM   #8
LVorenus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicksman View Post
After today's Steam update, the Black Ops console is no longer available on single player, zombie or multiplayer modes. I've checked the monkeytoy value in the config file and it is still set to 1. They just removed the ability to use the console. I'm very upset about this.
Huh? I pulled up mine this morning. Don't have a clue what you are talking about.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:04 PM   #9
Darek

Thanks
Old 01-21-2011, 08:43 PM   #10
chiefret

How about the game type console commands?

g_gametype X

Where X =

gun = Gun Game
HLND = Sticks and Stones
oic = One In The Chamber
shrp = Sharpshooter

Any others that will work?

Cred to Alvaroga91
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1638856

Last edited by chiefret: 01-21-2011 at 08:54 PM.
chiefret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:13 PM   #11
Deaths Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVorenus View Post
Huh? I pulled up mine this morning. Don't have a clue what you are talking about.
In Campaign mode?
So you set your config.cfg file to read only.

The hackers have already figured out how to create a dummy config_mp.cfg file.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:07 PM   #12
Capt_Spalding

So what should I expect by using this one, r_multiGpu

This should only be enabled if you have multiple graphics cards or a graphics card with multiple GPUs. If you don't have multiple GPUs, don't know what this means, or are having issues with your MultiGPU solution, please set this to "0".

I have 2x6850s crossfire, will I see an improvment
Capt_Spalding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:13 PM   #13
Infinity7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Spalding View Post
So what should I expect by using this one, r_multiGpu

I have 2x6850s crossfire, will I see an improvment
Capt, I don't think you're going to see any difference with that either way. You'll probably get better gameplay by increasing antialiasing and com_maxfps.
Infinity7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:12 AM   #14
sodpain

Thanks very helpfull
sodpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:30 PM   #15
thetenfold

I want to clear this up. It is often taught wrongly.

"r_multithreaded_device" is for a multi-threaded d3d (directx) device, NOT multi-core cpu. The game will use a multi-core cpu always no matter what. It's best to have this option off (to "0").
thetenfold is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Call of Duty series > Black Ops