Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Frontlines: Fuel of War

Old 11-27-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
croPath

CD key and steam

I suddenly get the urge to try frontlins again and i really dont wont to bother with downloading 10 patches and i saw that its supported on steam so i go to active it i type in my CD KEY and get the invalind message 3 times before i go to support and find a list that shows that its retail key cant be activated on steam.
WHAT A LOAD OF HORSE THEY HAVE THE GAME BUT IM SUPPOSED TO BUY IT AGAIN?! Acualy this can be said abot all games that steam supports but their retail keys cant be activated i mean WTF is up with that.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
mejorquenada

Pretty sure the version steam supports is the one you download from steam. If you bought a store version, you're pretty much on your own. Pretty much only the games that "require" steam to install and play will you be able to activate over steam. For example any of the Valve games.
mejorquenada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
MADDOGGE

To be fair though Steam didn't make any money off your purchase. Why should they allow you access to their severs and such. There is a short list of games that Steam accepts the non Steam keys from. I don't remember exactly where though.

I wish I could add my SC Chaos Theory but I guess I'll just wait on a sale and pick it up again.
MADDOGGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:43 PM   #4
Mikouen

Quote:
Originally Posted by croPath View Post
WHAT A LOAD OF HORSE THEY HAVE THE GAME BUT IM SUPPOSED TO BUY IT AGAIN?!
I'm not sure why you thought Valve would have access to any list/database of CD keys, considering they played no part in the creation of Frontlines.

At any rate nothing stops you from continuing to use your retail disc. It's probably a faster install than using Steam, anyway, even with the patches.
Mikouen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
MADDOGGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikouen View Post
I'm not sure why you thought Valve would have access to any list/database of CD keys, considering they played no part in the creation of Frontlines.

At any rate nothing stops you from continuing to use your retail disc. It's probably a faster install than using Steam, anyway, even with the patches.
Actually in this one case ironically I think Steam is quicker. This game has 4 big patches that take forever to download from KAOS. I just reinstalled and played through the game again about 2 weeks ago and I know I was 2 hours getting the thing ready to play. Don't know why KAOS can't give us one consolidated patch to download.
MADDOGGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:29 AM   #6
radu191289

Banned
Why should steam let you download a game if you didn't bought it from them? Let's buy cheap serials from other stores and overload steam servers for free... rigt?
radu191289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
Arvonar

They support L4D, Stalker, and other retail copies, so why shouldn't they support FFOW retails? Besides, given you can get FFOW off Steam, it makes sesnse that retails should also be addable to the library.

Last edited by Arvonar: 09-07-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Arvonar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:11 PM   #8
Agret

FFOW_E_Patch_All_to_v1.1.0
FFOW_E_PATCH_V1.1.0_TO_V1.1.1
FFOW_E_PATCH_V1.1.0_TO_V1.1.1
FFOW_E_PATCH_V1.2.0_TO_V1.3.0

4 patches, not 10. I got mine from Fileplanet and worked fine.
Agret is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Frontlines: Fuel of War