Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Old 11-27-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
Merkflank

Can't play Amnesia: The Dark Descent Demo

Edit: Go to the last part or other "Edit:"!

Ok, so I just downloaded Steam and wanted to try out the demo for Amnesia. First I downloaded the game, then when I pressed the play button, it brings me to a launcher, I press launch and it goes fullscreen but then closes and says "FATAL ERROR: Renderer #0 could not be innitialized! Make sure your graphic card drivers are up to date. Check log file for more information." Please help!

Edit: I updated my drivers and now it says "Amesia.exe caused an EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION in module ig4icd32.dll at 001B:05353DC2" Please help >.>

Last edited by Merkflank: 11-27-2010 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Updating info,

Old 11-28-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
Wyglif

It looks like you have intel graphics. The store page says that it may not work. Likely the game is trying to use an OpenGl extension that your hardware does not support such as shader or t & l.

The minimum requirements are for ati 9600 which with is shader 2.0 and T & L. Check the capabilities of your chip (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA) and if it meets requirements, send a dxdiag report (start -> run dxdiag) to Fractional support (after checking their FAQ)
Wyglif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:20 PM   #3
SwatMaster

Have the same problem with ATi Graphics (HD6850). How to solve?
SwatMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:56 AM   #4
richard_s82

It works. i had same problem so i looked up drivers for the GPU [graphic card]. A new one was released late October, wha d'ya know.

WORKS DD

Now lets try not shart my self...
richard_s82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:55 PM   #5
UNSC Sniper

PLZZZZZZZZZZZZ HELP!! i went to "can your computer run it?" and it says i can run "amnesia the dark descent" but when i run it it says FATAL ERROR!
i updated my drivers and it still wont work...........
PLZ Help >_>
Old 12-09-2010, 03:04 PM   #6
Amander

I have the most recent drivers Nvidia offers and nothing, I mean still the crash. Not to mention the driver is way newer than the game.
Amander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:21 PM   #7
Ohlalala

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amander View Post
I have the most recent drivers Nvidia offers and nothing, I mean still the crash. Not to mention the driver is way newer than the game.
Nvidia drivers are not like ATI drivers, recent drivers are not always better than older ones, it's all a matter of gpu. Post your rig if you want help.
Ohlalala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:50 PM   #8
Amander

Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB VRAM. I can even run Crysis (although not on high), so it shouldn't be that weak.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:07 PM   #9
envirovore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohlalala View Post
Nvidia drivers are not like ATI drivers, recent drivers are not always better than older ones, it's all a matter of gpu. Post your rig if you want help.
Quote:
Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB VRAM. I can even run Crysis (although not on high), so it shouldn't be that weak.
I know it doesn't really help fix anything, but I'm running with the latest nVidia drivers and have no issues launching Amnesia (9800GT btw)

Amander, if you're on Win7/Vista then try disabling Aero background. Run in Basic or Classic mode before launching. I had to do so just to get it to launch properly. Also set everything in the nVidia control panel to Application Controlled.

Otherwise, have a look here:
http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-3754.html
envirovore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:27 PM   #10
Amander

Quote:
Originally Posted by envirovore View Post
I know it doesn't really help fix anything, but I'm running with the latest nVidia drivers and have no issues launching Amnesia (9800GT btw)

Amander, if you're on Win7/Vista then try disabling Aero background. Run in Basic or Classic mode before launching. I had to do so just to get it to launch properly. Also set everything in the nVidia control panel to Application Controlled.

Otherwise, have a look here:
http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-3754.html
Well, it's what the message says, namely that I should update my driver. Maybe you should change the message to something more helpful, e.g. pointing to the actual log file location instead of just telling me to read that up. Also, you could update the Steam VDF script to set the compatibility mode for the game to turn desktop compisition off.

Don't get me wrong, I know how to do it. But to make customers pay money, you should make it as easy as possible.

Edit: Nope. Still the same error, with aero disabled.

Last edited by Amander: 12-09-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:48 PM   #11
envirovore

Quote:
Well, it's what the message says, namely that I should update my driver. Maybe you should change the message to something more helpful, e.g. pointing to the actual log file location instead of just telling me to read that up. Also, you could update the Steam VDF script to set the compatibility mode for the game to turn desktop compisition off.

Don't get me wrong, I know how to do it. But to make customers pay money, you should make it as easy as possible.

Edit: Nope. Still the same error, with aero disabled.
I can't update any steam script, nor am I making any customers pay for anything. I'm not part of the dev team...so what are you getting at again? Why are you addressing me as someone who actually had something to do with developing the game?

Anyway, try the fixes in the link I posted, or register and post on their forum about your issue after you have gone through the full troubleshooting guide I posted.

Edit:

Both Jens and Thomas of FG are quite active in their forums Tech Help section, and provide as much information as they can. I suggest posting there if the info in the troubleshooting guide doesn't work for you.

Last edited by envirovore: 12-09-2010 at 07:56 PM.
envirovore is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Amnesia: The Dark Descent