Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Patricians series

Old 11-29-2010, 02:58 AM   #1
Sorrow333

Patrician 4 information!

Ok so i notice alot of people seem a little dissapointed in this game and thought i would clear the air.

Although this game is labled Patrician 4, it is really a Port Royale trade system and ship system with the patrician style. i honestly favoured port royale more then patrician, and as a such i spent alot of time playing the former comapred to the latter so i personally love this game which is a hybrid of the two.

The interfaces are much easier to use then either game.

The trade routes are easier to set up.

The combat system is mostly AI controled, i miss the lack of control but having all of my ships out at once more then makes up for it.

It has the feel of The Guild 2, your compedators are active and even communicate with you, making it a much better experience on the whole.

It didn't seem able to use wood and clay(stone?) from my warehouse, which was a little sad.

The game has much better 'high end' content then the port royale games, making it a much more intersting game on the whole.

Expeditions seem quite fun and rewarding aswell, bit of guess work involved but great all the same!

The 3d graphics are really nice and very consistant.

The map itself is beautiful and full of detail, it's very nice to look at.

Thats about all i can say so i hope this clears up some details for people, it IS missing multiplayer, but honestly i don't really go in for multiplayer when it comes to trade sims.

Also i used the 'first run in offline mode' and it didn't require me to make an account, however when ran a second time it did want me to make a new account, after updating, i might try run it again with my computer disconnected from the net and post back the results.

EDIT: Went offline and it launched without needing me to make an account.

Last edited by Sorrow333: 11-29-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:32 AM   #2
DiceDuP

Thanks for your views on the game - I am almost swayed now to buy the game. I did look at the Guild 2 some time ago but I don't think it's for me. I like the prospect of Patrician IV being more explore and trade, and less combat. I have played the demo for Anno 1404 (Dawn of Discovery) some while back, but there hasn't yet been a sale of a gold version cheap enough to tempt me into buying that.

I'm running out of time for the sale of patricians, yet I have wasted money on what I'm sure are worse games in the sales over the last 12 months so I might just go for it and take the hit if it's poor.
DiceDuP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:27 AM   #3
Sorrow333

i really liked the guild 2, i doupt many other people would, but i loved it, don't misunderstand what i wrote there though, it just feels alot like your actually vrsing 'somthing', adds in my opinion a greater feel of being there.

Still i think it's a very niche genre, but hell i wasted probally 1000+ hours on port royale 2 so i really feel like this is a 'set up' from that game, love it after playing it all today lol.

Last edited by Sorrow333: 11-29-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Sorrow333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:34 AM   #4
skullzyer

Just one thing. It's Port Royale.
skullzyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:31 PM   #5
Sorrow333

edited my posts for extra e's :P thanks i guess
Old 12-01-2010, 12:09 PM   #6
Wild_Dog_01

Does the Game End?

I was wondering if anybody knew if there was a way to win this game and it had an "End"? or is it just like Port Royale 2 which has no end.
Wild_Dog_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:21 PM   #7
Wild_Dog_01

How do you ruin your competitors?

I have read through the manual and it says there are three ways to remove competitors In a city. The first method it suggests is to buy out their businesses, but this is really expensive. The second method it suggests is to buy up all the raw material for a business (such as buying up all the wood in the city that a competitor uses for a salter business) and causing the product to be too expensive, forcing the competitor to close his businesses. The last method is to flood the market so there are 4 green bars for two weeks in a business that your competitor uses. The manual says this will also cause the competitor to slowly fire his staff until he can no longer support them. I have been attempting the method of buying up all the raw materials making it too expensive to produce, and even blockade a lot of the shipping to the city, but after two game months I still have not seen my competitor lose a business. Can anybody verify if either of the last two methods work?
Wild_Dog_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:22 AM   #8
Sorrow333

i don't know about the last two, but in my current game im pumping out enough meat to have the whole region at 1-2 stars, one of the other guys who makes meat had to close one of them down.

Oh, somthing a bit sad, discovered that you can't board ships in sea battles, you can take 1 ship per combat aganst pirates by killing it's crew and then lowing it's health (has to be the last ship).
Old 12-04-2010, 01:31 PM   #9
DiceDuP

Just as a small update from my previous reply. I did actually end up buying the game on the sale day, although I didn't get a chance to play it until last night for the first time. I am actually finding the game an enjoyable way to relax, and being an old timer, it's pace is a pleasant change from all the hecticly paced games I've been playing recently.

Sure it has some very small issues, but nothing that really detracts from playing it. I can see how some people would become bored of it quickly as really it is just a case of "buy this here, sell it there" and then build some businesses in varied ports, making money as you go. I'm still yet to feel the curse of the pirates, and after 10 hours total playtime, I get the feeling that the meat and bones of it's strategy are just about to hit me in the face.

If at Christmas Steam get the Anno 1404 Gold pack (base + venice expansion) and then put it on sale, I will buy it and Patrician could well end up taking a bit of a backseat for a while. I played 1404 as a "rental" with metaboli when I briefly subscribed to it's service. I played it to death, and I am being stubborn about paying full price for it!
DiceDuP is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Patricians series