Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Polynomial, The

Old 11-29-2010, 09:26 AM   #1
Dmytry

The Polynomial Team
Exclamation If The Polynomial crashes on start or has low FPS - read this!

Things to try:
Updating graphics card driver or reinstalling it with reboot.
Crashes on start, low FPS:
Reboot and try again. After certain events (crashes of other games, update of graphics card driver without reboot, et cetera), the framerate is very low until reboot
If using OS X >10.6.3 try unplug any controllers, if that helps post here the exact model name of the controller (i need more data to nail this down)
If using OS X 10.5 or lower, that is below official system requirements, and I don't have 10.5 system for testing and it's hard to tell what's the problem, could be anything from outdated graphics drivers to Apple's new bugfixes making it work on 10.6 . I'm not using any OS X 10.6 specific APIs (at least, not knowingly) and OS X 10.6 is kind of a bugfix release anyway, so I'm assuming I'm just encountering a bug in 10.5.
ATI:
Disable triple buffering.
Disable crossfire.
If using dual-GPU card and Catalyst 10.5 drivers, try to install Catalyst 10.4 drivers. 10.5 is known to have a regression for dual-GPU cards. [edit: This should no longer be needed]
NVidia:
Disable SLI (note: The Polynomial is sli-compatible all right, but with sli there's twice the probability of encountering hardware issues, plus the cards might have slightly different timing and stuff)
Low FPS on a decent graphics card:
If using switchable graphics (on certain laptop models), try to set it to 'performance'
Reboot.
Get rid of antivirus software.
Try to reinstall the graphics card drivers.
If problem remains - post here with a list of all antivirus, firewall, 'tweakers' etc. software you ever had installed on that system, as complete as possible.

If problem persists, post here your system information, graphics card, log.txt (found alongside Polynomial.exe) , and other information that you think may be relevant.

Last edited by Dmytry: 12-29-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:18 AM   #2
\monty

i crash on start.

specs: core2 duo e6600, 2gb ram, nvidia geforce 8800gts 640mb, windows7 64bit

log.txt is here http://pastebin.com/dqyRs6TQ
\monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:26 AM   #3
Dmytry

The Polynomial Team
I've found something possibly relevant:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show....php?p=2354628
if you have not already, reboot (full reboot) and try again. Let me know if it works.
Dmytry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:08 AM   #4
richard_haggath

this appears to be the same issue that i have.

dxdiag here http://pastebin.com/1piiJ3ct

log.txt here http://pastebin.com/79fgJZxw

drivres are dated 31/10/ and i have rebooted the system.
richard_haggath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:45 AM   #5
MiMiK23

I would appreciate some help with this issue a lot.

Here is my log.txt: http://pastebin.com/eLgBZV1b
Old 11-30-2010, 05:38 PM   #6
\monty

it works after a reboot. thanks!
\monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:38 AM   #7
Dmytry

The Polynomial Team
well I don't know what happens to richard_haggath but seeing it as everyone else had this problem resolved by reboot... I would suggest another reboot (making sure that it is a reboot rather than suspend to disk and resume). If the problem persists, you can ask Valve for refund, or you can try installing Windows XP into separate partition, or even try installing Windows 7 into separate partition to see if the issue is caused by some third party applications.

It must be understood that Windows 7 64-bit is a relatively recent operating system, and it would take time until driver bugs are ironed out by your graphics card manufacturer and Microsoft. The Polynomial itself is fully compatible with Windows 7 64-bit. However, as you could guess just looking at it's visuals, it is rendered differently than your typical 3D game, and is thus more likely to trigger latent issues in your graphics card driver.

Last edited by Dmytry: 12-01-2010 at 06:40 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:25 AM   #8
richard_haggath

Dymytry,

thanks for your response i have restarted several times i will try removing the drivers and reloading them and let you know how i get on but. Installing to an XP partition is not a possibility as i do not have XP to put on and i will not be buying one just for a game lol.

NVM i will just keep trying things if i find out what works i will post here.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:55 AM   #9
Dmytry

The Polynomial Team
hmm can you install Windows 7 into separate partition? That is not guaranteed to help (i'd say 50/50 whenever it will or will not help) but one guy had his all problems resolved by this (some third party software issue, still unidentified but someone else had it resolved by removing Avira)
Old 12-01-2010, 09:30 AM   #10
richard_haggath

to be fair i don't think it is worth the hassle of all that so i will just wait out and see if it gets any better after i have tinkered a bit.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:16 AM   #11
richard_haggath

well it works i uninstalled the drivers totally restarted let windows load up the default VGA set then reinstalled the 260.99 drivers (the ones i had were 263.00 and not whql certified) and it worked so if you have NV cards and have this issue try downgrading your drivers or completely removing them and reinstalling.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:23 PM   #12
philtothetop

i have windows 7 32 bits, and when i start the game, the game is lagging like hell and the image is all fcked up, whats happening?
philtothetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:11 AM   #13
richard_haggath

what is your system spec
Old 12-21-2010, 06:25 PM   #14
Sovietboat

Log: http://pastebin.com/LdN6k1Vk

Crashes on start-up. I've restarted fully twice now.
Running Windows 7 64 bit. I've tried updating my 9800's drivers.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:05 PM   #15
Darthmauled

I use a mac and I cant tinker with my graphics card settings, ive restarted my computer and steam several times, turned off my Firewalls and yet it still crashes on bootup...

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Polynomial, The