Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > ARMA series

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 08:25 AM   #1
WV2MJR
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Reputation: 3
Posts: 291
Arma 3 - Future Weapons / Vehicles?

Do you think Arma 3 will be set in the future? I would love it to be 100 years in the future and have hover tanks. And soldiers that have jet packs. And of course, have a rail gun.
WV2MJR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:49 AM   #2
Khalashnikovf
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Reputation: 0
Posts: 98
Then play Battlefield 2142 or Frontlines and not this.
Or find some mod.
Khalashnikovf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:23 AM   #3
WV2MJR
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Reputation: 3
Posts: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalashnikovf View Post
Then play Battlefield 2142 or Frontlines and not this.
Or find some mod.
With the release of the BAF & PMC, the set date is in the future. So I don't understand where your coming from. Arma is a military simulator but no where does it say it has to be modern or in the past.
WV2MJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:50 AM   #4
slikbaz
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Reputation: 28
Posts: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by WV2MJR View Post
With the release of the BAF & PMC, the set date is in the future. So I don't understand where your coming from. Arma is a military simulator but no where does it say it has to be modern or in the past.
There's a difference between <20 years difference (where all the weapons and technology are the same for the vast majority) and a 100 years difference (Where, as OP mentioned, there will be "Hover Tanks").

Quote:
Arma is a military simulator
Precisely.. How do you plan on simulating something that doesn't exist yet?

Anyway I'm not saying I'm against the idea, but it should be in the form of mods. There are already plenty of stargate mods etc. out there, and can be a nice change from the regular stuff
slikbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:19 PM   #5
ben583
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Reputation: 63
Posts: 1,847
I like the idea, but I doubt it will happen officially. Leave something like this to the modding community!
ben583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:28 AM   #6
Dr.Jones
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Reputation: 70
Posts: 501
Contrary to OP, i would like to see WWII settings in ARMA 3.

br.
Dr.Jones
Dr.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:45 AM   #7
slikbaz
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Reputation: 28
Posts: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Jones View Post
Contrary to OP, i would like to see WWII settings in ARMA 3.
Now that could be interesting if done properly..
slikbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:39 AM   #8
CypherCorpsman
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Arma will always been a modern day mil sim
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:49 AM   #9
slikbaz
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Reputation: 28
Posts: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by CypherCorpsman View Post
Arma will always been a modern day mil sim
it has* always been a modern day milsim.. but that doesn't mean it will* always be a modern day milsim.
slikbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:52 AM   #10
WV2MJR
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Reputation: 3
Posts: 291
What about:

Arma 3: Cold War

I think an official game in the Vietnam era would be an excellent idea. WW2 has no helicopters so that is why I think Vietnam would be a better choice.
WV2MJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:27 AM   #11
7th_Serf
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Reputation: 40
Posts: 485
OFP was set in the 1980's I think (It's been so long since I played it). Arma2 is set a few years from now, well within the 'not too hard to believe' type of future. Going more than say 10 years into the future for the game would bring it into the realm of science fiction; simply put there are too many variables in the future to give an accurate military simulation.

For example; say someone makes a breakthrough in kinetic energy weapons - this would make most armor useless, especially if it was man-portable. So that would dramatically change the battlefield. Or over-head firing weapons systems (some are pretty far along in development), that would really change how infantry tactics are done. Or stealth technology; how it changed air to air combat - what if they got some visual style steal tech working? Think about the advantages the Predator has over regular infantry...the list of possible advances is huge.

So since the Arma series has been pretty close to 'accurate' it would be really hard, if not impossible, to make a 'simulator' for the future without taking on some pretty wild assumptions and I'm not sure if the same quality of game could be made, though I would like to see it.

Heck I didn't even touch on powered body armor (in testing), binary weapons systems, lasers, multi-guns and robots....

What if BIS got really wild and lucky and picked up the Mechwarrior franchise? No more arcade like MW battles but really nasty hard-core Mech wars (add Elementals to it and infantry even). Now that would be something...

As to some of the stuff discussed; I44 is a dang fine WW2 mod for Arma2 - its very well done and a lot of fun, not to mention being really tough. I played a really good Vietnam era mod for Arma1 and I am pretty sure that the same team is far along on their Arma2 version. I'm sure once they get out a few servers and map makers will be doing missions for them. I know my group will be giving them each a try at the very least.
7th_Serf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:01 AM   #12
WV2MJR
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Reputation: 3
Posts: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th_Serf View Post
OFP was set in the 1980's I think (It's been so long since I played it). Arma2 is set a few years from now, well within the 'not too hard to believe' type of future. Going more than say 10 years into the future for the game would bring it into the realm of science fiction; simply put there are too many variables in the future to give an accurate military simulation.

For example; say someone makes a breakthrough in kinetic energy weapons - this would make most armor useless, especially if it was man-portable. So that would dramatically change the battlefield. Or over-head firing weapons systems (some are pretty far along in development), that would really change how infantry tactics are done. Or stealth technology; how it changed air to air combat - what if they got some visual style steal tech working? Think about the advantages the Predator has over regular infantry...the list of possible advances is huge.

So since the Arma series has been pretty close to 'accurate' it would be really hard, if not impossible, to make a 'simulator' for the future without taking on some pretty wild assumptions and I'm not sure if the same quality of game could be made, though I would like to see it.

Heck I didn't even touch on powered body armor (in testing), binary weapons systems, lasers, multi-guns and robots....

What if BIS got really wild and lucky and picked up the Mechwarrior franchise? No more arcade like MW battles but really nasty hard-core Mech wars (add Elementals to it and infantry even). Now that would be something...

As to some of the stuff discussed; I44 is a dang fine WW2 mod for Arma2 - its very well done and a lot of fun, not to mention being really tough. I played a really good Vietnam era mod for Arma1 and I am pretty sure that the same team is far along on their Arma2 version. I'm sure once they get out a few servers and map makers will be doing missions for them. I know my group will be giving them each a try at the very least.
The battlefield series is so successful because every new game they release is different. You had Battlefield 1942 which took place during World War II. You had Battlefield Vietnam which took place in Vietnam. After Vietnam, you had Battlefield 2 which takes place in the modern area. Than Battlefield 2142 which is set in the future. Seems every new release is a different place in time to ensure that the series do not get dull and boring.

While I love the Arma series, I think it would be a refreshing and most welcome change to have a game that is not so modern. I along with most players would be perfectly happy with playing a WWII or Vietnam style or maybe even a futuristic Arma. I think most players would enjoy the new scenario. Just because the vehicles and weapons are different doesn’t necessarily mean the game play has to change. Besides the graphics and a few new weapons and vehicles, Operation Arrowhead is very similar to Arma 2 and Arma 1 (and maybe even Operation Flashpoint). That is why I think it would be excellent to have something different besides the same old modern day scenario.

Do you agree / disagree?
WV2MJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:52 PM   #13
7th_Serf
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Reputation: 40
Posts: 485
All the BF series had in common was that sniper type weapons were over powered (along with knives or hand held melee weapons) and automatic weapons were 'spray and pray' type things. I played each of the BF series (up to and including 2142) and enjoyed them for the mayhem and general silliness but always felt that if they wanted too they could have made a much more realistic game each time (in terms of weapons damage, recoil and gear). Of course that would most likely ruin the 'fun' aspect of the game quite a bit.

In terms of the Arma Series; it's always been based upon Realism. As close as possible given the restraints on the engine (hence why aircraft don't have proper radar systems or countermeasures) Of course the modding community usually gets involved with adding stuff to the game to make it work better. Future weapons and such would be the case if we had some folks who were interested in doing it (like the WW2 guys, the Vietnam guys and the Predator and Zombie guys). BIS on the other hand most likely wouldn't because its not how their approach to games appears to be...but.....and this is a big thing...they now have a Zombie game so maybe they might be loosening up a bit about 'off the wall' stuff.

I would love to see BIS tackle X-COM (an anti UFO force game), it had so much promise and then got canceled. I know there's aliens vs. predators vs. Marines but it seems too 'arcadish' for me. I want something with real 'meat' to it (if you get my drift). A properly done future war game would be a first, and a really well done one even more. I was disappointed with Ghost Recon because they had some great ideas, but the way they set it up just didn't work all that well. Especially since map and mod makers couldn't really dig into the engine and make new maps or changes. But I digress.

I think it would be great if BIS did other 'time periods' for their games; but with the same level of detail and ease of modification/mapping as they do now.
7th_Serf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:25 PM   #14
MustangDelta
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Reputation: 3
Posts: 89
There are so many aspects to modern warfare that can be brought to PC gamers by BIS's taltented team it would seem a waste for them to spend valuable developer time creating games in any other time than the present.

Leave those for the modders (as has been mentioned in other posts)

The continent of Africa has seen many great Armed Forces fight there in modern times. The French Foreign Legion still patrols its different parts of the world and who could guess where Nato would be called to next?

Keep it in the here and now
MustangDelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:05 AM   #15
Cash :D
 
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Reputation: 9
Posts: 113
WWII would Be More Epic!
Cash :D is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > ARMA series


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2012, All Rights Reserved.