Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Far Cry series

Old 12-06-2010, 07:58 AM   #1
Tomwelcome

People don't like slow paced games these days.

I find that shooters that progress in slow pace are likely to be seen as having "bad gameplay". Far Cry 2 and Crysis are two typical ones.

Developers today tend to make games with the idea "the faster pace, the better". Not that I don't like fast paced games like CoD, but there are just too many out there that it makes me feel tired of the FPS genus.

Seeing so many bad comments about this kind of gameplay style, I'm worried that there won't be games like this anymore in the future. And I really love it.

What do you guys think?
Is there enough people like me to support the market? or not?

p.s Sorry if I have poor writing. English is not my native language. I've done my best to make the post readable.

Last edited by Tomwelcome: 12-06-2010 at 08:02 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:01 AM   #2
bobsbarricades

this guy thinks you've got fine English ability =) I also think that there will ALWAYS be slower style FPS games because there will always be a market. Look at STALKER. That game has it's own TV show in Russia.
bobsbarricades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:20 AM   #3
thefreeman0001

i like slower paced shooters. playing COD for too long just drives me mental.
thefreeman0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:39 AM   #4
fiery_beacon

I can't play single player on other fps' after playing farcry/crysis. I tire of the linear and boring paths very quickly and usually don't last more than an hour or two into the game.

The fact that people think single player campaigns in games like cod:BO are fun boggle my mind.
fiery_beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
bobsbarricades

:shrug: I like 'em for what they are. It's like playing an action movie. Do you like action movies?
Old 12-08-2010, 12:39 PM   #6
fiery_beacon

Action movies are good, it's just that as far as my gaming is concerned i've been ruined with large open worlds/maps that you're free to roam about in. :/
fiery_beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
bobsbarricades

i think even in those games things have always fallen short for me, so it's hard for me to say they're better. For some reason I always find the thing that reminds me I'm just playing a game. Although...FC2 was probably the closest yet. Can't wait for FC3...just hope UBI doesn't make us use the dumb drm they have =,(
Old 12-08-2010, 05:59 PM   #8
sgtdes

and i hope that when my notoriety is maxed, idiotic guards don't go running up to me trying to kill me. Hell, why does the guards KEEP ON TRYING TO KILL ME AFTER I DESTROYED LIKE 10 OF THEIR OUTPOSTS???
sgtdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:57 AM   #9
AlHudsonFX

Banned
Exactly
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsbarricades View Post
in Russia.
I don't like Far Cry 2 however I loved Far Cry 1 and liked Crysis.

For sure I like Battlefied or COD game style.

I think that Far Cry 2 has many areas of opportunity the problem with FC2 is that is too repetitive the SP and MP is boring withouth perks, classes, goals, unblocks.

Anyways is true what people say in this thread... slow paced FPS are good.
AlHudsonFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:59 AM   #10
liamsharkey

Banned
Far Cry 1 and Crysis are amazing however I only played Far Cry 2 once when it came out and it was too glitchy to judge (I have a friend owes me it anyways)
liamsharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:08 PM   #11
bobsbarricades

I would definitely say give Far Cry 2 another shot. I never noticed any glitches and in fact ran it quite smooth on this aged laptop. I was surprised at how solid it was. Maybe they patched it?
Old 12-21-2010, 02:40 AM   #12
stillwater78

I thought Far Cry 2 was fantastic. Probably the moodiest and most atmospheric shooter I've ever played (well, maybe apart from Metro 2033, but the two are very different).

I wouldn't even call this gameplay particularly slow. Some of the boat rides were tedious, but then some of the best moments were on boats too, so it was worth it. Overall, there's probably less driving around and frustrating trial-and-error gameplay in this than in GTA4 game, yet no one complains about all the driving in that. The shooting was probably too frequent if anything (on account of the checkpoints respawning too quickly).

The gunfights in Far Cry 2 were epic. I found that I was always needing to use a wide variety of tactics and weapons, much more so than I do in most other games. I guess that's a credit to the open world format. And man, did I love the flare gun and the fire it created - just awesome.

Last edited by stillwater78: 12-21-2010 at 02:43 AM.
stillwater78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:53 AM   #13
bobsbarricades

man creating fires was the COOLEST! so many ways to use it, so many possibilities. ahhh...
Old 12-29-2010, 03:31 PM   #14
woolerland

yeah metro 2033 probabley beats it in atmospheric but then again, far cry 2 took me 6 months to complete. i kept coming back to it, nailing down a few missions every week lol.

the game was very fun with all the stuff to do but the guard posts were just tiring, i mean sometimes you couldn't avoid them and it isn't a 2 second fire fight, your gun ages and your ammo goes down.
woolerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:07 AM   #15
FreemanForPrez

By FAR I prefer games that allow me to go about it at my own pace. I prefer sandbox games like FC 2 and all the STALKER games, but linear is cool too if it's done well. I loved CoD 4 and Crysis (and Warhead) but they don't have the same replay value IMO.
Metro 2033 is a great example of a linear game done well. So is FEAR.

The thing I love most about FC 2 though is you can do just whatever you want. Eventually you have to do the main missions, but there's plenty of freedom to decide what and when and the best part - HOW you want to go about everything. No time limits on the missions, nobody running away that you have to catch up to within a certain time period or anything like that. Of course, there always is the risk of dying of malaria if you're not careful about how you use your time.
And even right up to the very end before you stroll down No Turnback Lane, you can wander off into the world and go back and forth between both maps and just wreak general havoc on the guardposts and towns for as long as you want and return to the final map later.

And you just gotta love the dynamic weather and scenery. Such a beautiful game. I can enjoy just strolling around and looking at stuff.

Last edited by FreemanForPrez: 12-30-2010 at 03:12 AM.
FreemanForPrez is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Far Cry series