Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series

Old 12-08-2010, 11:14 AM   #1
tekkaraiden

Civ 5 Mac version different than PC for multiplayer

Greetings,

Does anyone know why the mac version of Civ 5 is different from the PC version? I purchased Civ 5 last night for my wife so we could play together but we ran into some problems.

When I tried hosting (pc) she couldn't find the game (mac) to join either through local lan or internet.

When she tried hosting (mac) I could find the game (pc) but we got a version mismatch when we tried to play.

I noticed that the mac seems to have version 1.0.9.34384 while the pc has version 1.0.0.621.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
Qwaint

I am 99.9% sure that you can't play multiplayer mac vs PC, or vice versa.

Hopefully they'll add this feature soon.
Qwaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:20 PM   #3
FuzzyPuffin

Yes, the Mac version is only patched to the initial PC version. Have to wait till they reach parity.
FuzzyPuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:54 PM   #4
tekkaraiden

Well that's unfortunate, my wife and I were looking forward to some Civ 5 multiplayer. Guess I might have to bootcamp her mac or play some Civ 4 until they release the patch. Thanks for the insight,

Tekkaraiden
tekkaraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:18 AM   #5
Plopsilein

Yeah, basically PC and Mac are able to play togehter but only when both are on the same patchlevel. But i'm afraid this will take ages, or missed I any news when aspyr will kick out a first patch?
Old 12-10-2010, 06:54 PM   #6
sommerlund

Well... that's no good. I just tried playing today and I'm extremely disappointed
Old 03-08-2011, 07:44 AM   #7
ZeroOneB

Still not working... if there would be even a little bit of communication between the mac porting team and the pc team at firaxis things like this really shouldn't happen.
A Civ without Multiplayer is just a third of a Civ...
Old 05-10-2011, 09:52 PM   #8
MCWarhammer

Angry Lameness

This makes me very angry. I was about to play a game with my friend, and had gotten everything set up, and then it told me that the versions aren't right. Playing with friends is what really makes Civilization fun.
MCWarhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:37 AM   #9
CanuckSoldier

If you look at this post http://forums.aspyr.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33 Aspyr has stated that there will be PC/MAC MP compatability later, but they have to wait for Firaxis to finish all the patches, then they can catchup to the point were they can make a compatability patch.

And this makes sense to me, if they spent time making MP compatable for one patch they would just have to redo that on the next patch and the patch after that ....etc.

CS

www.civplayers.com
CanuckSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:59 PM   #10
Seanrogie

Is this still an issue?
Seanrogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:16 AM   #11
DoctorLeft

Well I didn't expect this kind of problem.
DoctorLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:36 PM   #12
TheBiz125

Just tried to set up a game with a Mac user and got the version mismatch error. Grrrr! Game has been out almost a year, lets get with it!
Old 09-20-2011, 06:03 PM   #13
Klintus Fang

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroOneB View Post
Still not working... if there would be even a little bit of communication between the mac porting team and the pc team at firaxis things like this really shouldn't happen.
A Civ without Multiplayer is just a third of a Civ...
the issue with your expectation on that point is that the mac porting team isn't a part of firaxis. companies contract out to third parties to do their mac ports as a general rule.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:08 AM   #14
MrLittleDuck

So. How can e get one of these two companies to patch a game we al love, so we can play more of it?
Old 09-23-2011, 08:56 AM   #15
AspyrRyan

You don't. We've completed work on the patch that'll bring Mac up to date on the PC. The patch is in the approval process now. I can't guarantee it'll be cross-platform, but it'll have all the current content.
AspyrRyan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series