Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alien Swarm

Old 12-10-2010, 10:21 PM   #1
Soulreaver934

Idea to bring back Alien Swarm

Alien Swarm
  • Not to bite off of Left 4 Dead 2, but I think the game should have a melee weapon implemented that you can choose from.
  • I usually see someone get overwhelmed really fast in this game, even if their new. What if there's a Monkey-Bomb/Pipe-Bomb like item to hoard them away. Perhaps a pipe bomb like thing that releases purple gas that attracts the Swarm?
  • When somebody is promoted, it should be more clear the symbol of promotion. Like without hovering your mouse over it, you can see it clearly and be proud of it.
  • Better voice commands, people could really use the command 'HURRY'.
  • Easier cleaner way to download custom campaigns.
  • A new Swarm creature.

What do you guys think, I've just been throwing this around.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:35 PM   #2
Fuzzin

Valve doesnt give a about this game, and black cat hasn't done a god damn thing since launch.

Valve just chewed on and spit out another indie developer.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:34 AM   #3
Zhargadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzin View Post
Valve doesnt give a about this game, and black cat hasn't done a god damn thing since launch.

Valve just chewed on and spit out another indie developer.
They've done updates occasionally, and I believe I heard those developers were helping with other games as well. This was a side project without a full-on team unlike TF2 and the like.

In other news, I don't think this game is dead.
Zhargadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:21 AM   #4
Kein

Sigh.
It's as free game and like very free game it's now where it should. Only community can revive it.
Kein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 04:01 AM   #5
Igni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kein View Post
Sigh.
It's as free game and like very free game it's now where it should. Only community can revive it.
Community have no tools to do anything.
Igni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:11 AM   #6
johnnythewolf

Yes, they have.
johnnythewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:40 PM   #7
Kein

They even have the sources...
Kein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:07 PM   #8
Issus_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igni View Post
We've got mod tools and the internet, what more do we need?

Sure full length custom campaigns haven't really hit the scene (lana's escape aside), but there are a few in development, and with the right hype they could potentially bring some players back, even if only for a short amount of time.
Issus_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:11 PM   #9
xehonk

While we have the tools to create mods and campaigns, we don't have the tools to distribute them.

Maps and campaigns are not downloaded automatically - and there's no way to tell which version of a map a server is running (or to install more than one version). This seriously limits how easily campaigns can be spread and played.

Mods are even worse. While maps are hard to distribute, at least the players will see that a custom map is being played. Mods won't even show up in the server browser. So even if someone in the community decided to continue patching and creating content for alien swarm, no one would notice.

Last edited by xehonk: 12-11-2010 at 01:15 PM.
xehonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:20 PM   #10
Zhargadd

Quote:
I'm not sure if you're trolling, but if you aren't I want to punch you. Hard.

We have the FULL SDK allowing us to make maps AND mods for the game. As long as you're willing to put in the work, AS gets a constant stream of fresh content.

Once I've finished my other project for another game I'm revisiting the SDK so I can release some form of a map for the game, even if it's just a Holdout map.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:21 PM   #11
Zhargadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by xehonk View Post
While we have the tools to create mods and campaigns, we don't have the tools to distribute them.

Maps and campaigns are not downloaded automatically - and there's no way to tell which version of a map a server is running (or to install more than one version). This seriously limits how easily campaigns can be spread and played.
L4D and L4D2 are the same, but they don't suffer from the same things that Alien Swarm does. Clearly this is not the reason Alien Swarm is faltering.

Last edited by Zhargadd: 12-12-2010 at 12:21 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:26 PM   #12
Igni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhargadd View Post
I'm not sure if you're trolling, but if you aren't I want to punch you. Hard.

We have the FULL SDK allowing us to make maps AND mods for the game. As long as you're willing to put in the work, AS gets a constant stream of fresh content.

Once I've finished my other project for another game I'm revisiting the SDK so I can release some form of a map for the game, even if it's just a Holdout map.
SDK and source is nothing, if someone doesn't write fork with own network system. And support it.
Igni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:16 PM   #13
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhargadd View Post
L4D and L4D2 are the same, but they don't suffer from the same things that Alien Swarm does. Clearly this is not the reason Alien Swarm is faltering.
Yes they do what are you talking about? I help run a L4D2 server and it's always a HUGE pain to get custom maps working for everyone so I just don't bother anymore. I realize Valve is probably just mad because counterstrike and tf2 have stupid server admins that make you download 5 million sounds (that people complain about downloading but forget you can filter out) but that's no reason to take it out on us.

I don't know Alien Swarm's predicament but it has to be just as bad if not worse.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:21 AM   #14
Zhargadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Yes they do what are you talking about? I help run a L4D2 server and it's always a HUGE pain to get custom maps working for everyone so I just don't bother anymore. I realize Valve is probably just mad because counterstrike and tf2 have stupid server admins that make you download 5 million sounds (that people complain about downloading but forget you can filter out) but that's no reason to take it out on us.

I don't know Alien Swarm's predicament but it has to be just as bad if not worse.
I mean L4D and L4D2 are still pretty popular, so it's not like we can blame Alien Swarm's lack of players in comparison to the same thing.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:27 AM   #15
Zhargadd

Quote:
SDK and source is nothing, if someone doesn't write fork with own network system. And support it.
Valve support Alien Swarm. It's harder for them to find and fix bugs in Alien Swarm in comparison to say, TF2, because less people play so less bugs are stumbled upon.

The first major update for TF2 was released a little over six months after the game itself came out. As far as I know, Alien Swarm, which is NOT a project with a dedicated team, has only been out for less than 5.

With that in mind, considering they've already been nice enough to implement an AI director and more badges and the like, it's apparent there might still be an update on the horizon.

If you think about it; a large portion of maps added to TF2 by Valve are polished community created maps. Maybe if people like you cried less about the fact we apparently have "no tools to do anything" and instead made a quality campaign, maybe there'd be more chance of Valve adding such things to the game on a more official basis.

We have SDK and that is enough to make things while we PLAY THE GAME and HAVE FUN.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alien Swarm