Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 12-12-2010, 11:00 AM   #1
spawnflagger

Lightbulb Store Idea - add 3D Vision rating

On the individual game pages, there is a "Game Details" section on the right column. In this section, it has several icons with green text - things such as Multiplayer, Steam Cloud, Achievements, etc.

It would be nice to have an icon and the games rating for nVidia's 3D vision. The list of rated games is here - http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-3d-games.html

Since I have a 3D Vision setup, it does play a small role in deciding whether or not to buy a new game.

I think it would be best to include all categories that nVidia uses - Ready, Excellent, Good, Fair, Poor, Not Recommended. And to also add "rating n/a" (for games that nvidia has no listing) and "no 3D vision support" (this last one would be for OpenGL games, since 3D vision only works with DirectX for now.)

But even if you included only the 3D Vision Ready titles, and only had 1 icon, that would be useful too.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:15 AM   #2
VXL-RF

Thumbs up

The idea is not bad, but here's assessing the adequacy of the nvidia poor (inflate its estimate). And they still have a lot of bugs and flaws with this technology in most games (but that's their problem, not Steam). Just do not forget that Steam many 2D and Flash games for them this technology is useless.

And if you still offer the realization of 3D Stereo Rating, do not forget about alternative providers, such as: ATi-AMD, iZ3D, TriDef 3D and others. It is also important.

Sorry for my English.
VXL-RF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:32 PM   #3
spawnflagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by VXL-RF View Post
And they still have a lot of bugs and flaws with this technology in most games (but that's their problem, not Steam).
Actually, it's the game developers problem, not nVidia - they aren't properly marking the z-depth for all objects, or they use certain shaders that assume a 2D layer "on top" which ruins the effect.

Quote:
Just do not forget that Steam many 2D and Flash games for them this technology is useless.
These games simply wouldn't have an icon (just like they are missing icons if they don't support Steam-Cloud, Achievements, Multiplayer, Controller, etc.

Quote:
And if you still offer the realization of 3D Stereo Rating, do not forget about alternative providers, such as: ATi-AMD, iZ3D, TriDef 3D and others. It is also important.
If those 3D providers also have a comprehensive list, steam could add icons for those too - or maybe just games that are nvidia 3D-Ready (highest rating) along with highest rating of other providers.

From what I've seen in forums, it seems nVidia 3D Vision is much more popular than the others for PC gamers, especially on the newer 3D LCD HDTV's.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:09 PM   #4
Vonje

I blame Nvidia for not supporting OpenGL games.
I like the idea though.
Vonje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:35 AM   #5
VXL-RF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonje View Post
I blame Nvidia for not supporting OpenGL games.
Before nVidia released their super-duper "cool" and expensive set of 3D Vision. Their driver is excellent (!) support OpenGL (including most games running on the API). But unfortunately this support eventually removed completely (as support for WinXP). Perhaps due to the fact that they felt that it would interfere with their professional functions for Quadro cards (but it was a mistake on their part).

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnflagger View Post
Actually, it's the game developers problem, not nVidia - they aren't properly marking the z-depth for all objects, or they use certain shaders that assume a 2D layer "on top" which ruins the effect.
Maybe. But I think the blame for everything that there is no common standard (eg from Microsoft's DirectX), which would have obligated the developers to do so.

Quote:
These games simply wouldn't have an icon (just like they are missing icons if they don't support Steam-Cloud, Achievements, Multiplayer, Controller, etc.
Probably yes.

Quote:
If those 3D providers also have a comprehensive list, steam could add icons for those too - or maybe just games that are nvidia 3D-Ready (highest rating) along with highest rating of other providers.
Yes. They have such compatibility lists. And they are constantly being updated.
Here are the links:For ATi-AMD such a list as long as such do not. Because they do not have a 3D Stereo Driver. They just added support for multiple views for 3D mode in buffer on the graphics hardware. For 3D mode, they suggest using a third-party driver.

Quote:
From what I've seen in forums, it seems nVidia 3D Vision is much more popular than the others for PC gamers, especially on the newer 3D LCD HDTV's.
Likely more advertised. Since they spent a lot of money (as opposed to AMD).

Last edited by VXL-RF: 12-16-2010 at 12:44 AM.
VXL-RF is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas