Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Call of Duty series > Black Ops

Old 12-13-2010, 11:02 AM   #1
Rihani

Installing Black Ops digitally with retail key

I have a friend over in the States who we intended to buy a digital copy of the game for, so we can spend the next few days making sure it runs well on his laptop. Instead we decided to give him one of the retail keys from a sealed copy of a game we bought for another friend, and buy that friend the digital copy instead. When I opened it up and copied the key over to him, though, he said it gave him an error that the key was already in use.

Is it just not possible to use retail cd keys with Steam copies? Because this is just odd - both retail and obviously digital copies are Steam games.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:05 AM   #2
RedRumy3

Bought mine from amazon and registered it to my steam account and had no problems, if anything you can contact steam support with a picture of the cd key with his email and his steam account I am sure they can fix the problem
RedRumy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:06 AM   #3
MutantMonkey

When you buy a retail version of the game, what you are buying is the key. What you get as a bonus is the DVD with the game content and anything else that may be included with the game packaging. This applies to all SteamWorks games that have a retail release.

Once you take that key and activate it on Steam, you are free to either do an install from the physical media or you can download the game through Steam.

If you are being told the key is already in use, the key has already been activated by another person. If it was not you, you can try and return the game at the retail shop you originally purchased the game from.
MutantMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:08 AM   #4
Evolution'

Banned
yh bought mine form retail store but as its a steam game it should accept the key so as rerumy3 says contact support with a pic of the key and your friends steam account details
Evolution' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:10 AM   #5
Rihani

Well, we thought it should work as you guys say. Our only theory as to why it isn't is that the retail and digital copies have different prices. The box was sealed with the retail shop's sticker, I don't know if that means anything...
Rihani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:20 AM   #6
MutantMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rihani View Post
Well, we thought it should work as you guys say. Our only theory as to why it isn't is that the retail and digital copies have different prices. The box was sealed with the retail shop's sticker, I don't know if that means anything...
It doesn't. I explained why the key is not working.
MutantMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Call of Duty series > Black Ops