Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 12-13-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
Digital Phoenix

Amnesia: The Dark Descent won't play.

Every time I click on "Play," it says, "Preparing to launch..." Then it instantly fades away and nothing happens. The same thing happened with the demo. Anyone know how to fix this?

Thank you very much in advance.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
B33 ENN

Hi, there may be something people can offer about this issue but it would help if you gave us some better information:

1. What is the specification of the computer (particularly the graphics adaptor)?

2. What operating system are you running (including 32/64 bit)

3. If the same thing happened with the demo, how did you get around that before buying the full game?
B33 ENN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
Fire2box

Just consider yourself lucky. It's not a bad game at all it's very good in fact.

It's just scary as hell. Even though the monsters are pretty funny looking.
Fire2box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:40 PM   #4
Digital Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by B33 ENN View Post
Hi, there may be something people can offer about this issue but it would help if you gave us some better information:

1. What is the specification of the computer (particularly the graphics adaptor)?

2. What operating system are you running (including 32/64 bit)

3. If the same thing happened with the demo, how did you get around that before buying the full game?
1 and 2. I really no almost nothing about computers. I will copy and paste my specs from a website and see if that will help. I am playing on a laptop, by the way. Here's my specs:

CPU Speed
Minimum: 1.5 GHz - Low budget CPUs such as Celeron or Duron needs to be at about twice the CPU speed
You Have: 1.66 GHz Performance Rated at: 2.49 GHz
PASS

RAM
Minimum: 1 GB
You Have: 2.0 GB
PASS

OS
Minimum: Windows XP/Vista/7
You Have: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 6001), 32-bit
PASS

Video Card
Minimum: Radeon 9600/GeForceFX - Integrated graphics and very low budget cards might not work
You Have: GeForce 8400M GS
PASS
Features: Minimum attributes of your Video Card
Required You Have
Hardware T&L Yes Yes
Pixel Shader version 2.0 4.0
Vertex Shader version 2.0 4.0

3. What do you mean by that? I downloaded the demo, tried to run it, but it didn't work. I figured I would go ahead and buy the game while the price was only 10 dollars, assuming it was just a problem with the demo. This proved to not be true, however. I got the same problems with the demo and the game.

I already installed the game, by the way. Just to give you a good idea of how powerful my laptop is: Left 4 Dead runs about 30 frames per second on it.

Last edited by Digital Phoenix: 12-13-2010 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:42 PM   #5
Digital Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
Just consider yourself lucky. It's not a bad game at all it's very good in fact.

It's just scary as hell. Even though the monsters are pretty funny looking.
I can't wait to see this for myself. I've held myself off with Donkey Kong Country Returns for now, but I am really hankering to play this game!
Old 12-13-2010, 03:42 PM   #6
bobzilla21

Try running the .exe directly from its steam folder.
Steam > Steamapps > common > not sure from here, as I don't have Amnesia, but I'm sure you can figure it out.
bobzilla21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:46 PM   #7
Digital Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla21 View Post
Try running the .exe directly from its steam folder.
Steam > Steamapps > common > not sure from here, as I don't have Amnesia, but I'm sure you can figure it out.
Where is said folder located at?
Old 12-13-2010, 03:47 PM   #8
bobzilla21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Phoenix View Post
Where is said folder located at?
I dunno, default Steam folder should be in the C drive somewhere, but I installed mines somewhere else. :/
bobzilla21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:51 AM   #9
darkxsky86

I hate to be the one to break it to u but, dont bother. Even if you somehow manage to get the game running, it wont be a very pleasant experience. I used to use a integrated 8300 geforce very much like yours and i could barely even run the game.

I had the settings all on LOW and in the beginning where you wake up and i had at most 7 FPS while just looking at the wall. So i put the game aside and recently got a gts 450 for very cheap and it runs on HIGH at a constant 60 FPS.

So if i were you i'd put this game aside until you have something decent to run it on or else your experience with the game will be shot and spoiled.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:45 PM   #10
epsylon_Z1

Banned
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...6218-USFX-5568
epsylon_Z1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:56 PM   #11
worse1

I had the same, problem for me was Comodo Firewall and set it to Defense+ Security- training mode, or disable it when you play.

Last edited by worse1: 01-13-2011 at 05:20 AM.
worse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:41 PM   #12
darkanima.l4d

Don't ask me why or how, but when i was playing amnesia, i could play it only if the computer was just rebooted, try to reboot and then open it. Strage yeah... but this was the only way to play it
darkanima.l4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:55 PM   #13
Desmodus

Finally got the game to launch

I had trouble getting Amnesia dark descent to launch from the launch screen, but this is what I did to finally get it to run. Go into the steam launcher then go to view, settings, in-game and disable the steam community in game option, I hope this helps anyone who is having trouble getting the game to start
Old 01-13-2011, 06:31 AM   #14
MADDOGGE

When you are trying to run the game have you ctrl/alt/deleted out to see if the process is running? It may not show an app running but you should see the process running.

I have several games though they are not new games like Amnesia that can take as long as 9 minutes to come up and run. Until then I just have a black screen but if I check the task manager I can see the process is running.

Another thing to check is whether your A/V, firewall or DEP is stopping the exe from running especially if you are running Vista or Win7.

PS: If you find it is A/V, firewall or DEP grant an exception but do not turn them off completely except to test.
MADDOGGE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:21 AM   #15
RulingRura

Maybe you should learn a bit more about your PC before you go off and buy things
RulingRura is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips