Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Hacker Evolution

Old 12-17-2010, 08:28 AM   #1
Calx

I don't get it

This game is like work.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
lodestone

In the same way a train simulator or an empire builder is; or one of the military fps's are for that matter.
lodestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:21 PM   #3
exosyphen

exosyphen studios
Most games replicate some real world tasks to a certain extent.

I don't believe however that someone goes from 9 to 5 to hack into computers

exosyphen studios | FaceBook fanpage
exosyphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:12 PM   #4
Rusty Dakota

You should get a better job.
Rusty Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:46 AM   #5
exosyphen

exosyphen studios
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Dakota View Post
Good point!

Old 12-18-2010, 04:54 AM   #6
Calx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Dakota View Post
I design and code for a living, I'm very happy too thanks. But, the intro to this game was like following a readme to some tedious patch or workaround. Apologies if it's not my cup of tea, quite clearly for many people it is.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:03 AM   #7
Maurog

It's like, an Inuit fisherman would also find the concept of fishing for fun kinda strange...
Maurog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:59 AM   #8
woolerland

yeah... it's quite intresting but w.e i got pwned in tutorial and had to re type it all arrgghh wheres the save button (tried transfer more than 1000 lol )
woolerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:29 PM   #9
dispale

personnally i enjoyed this game very much, of course it's not 100% realistic but when you meet this problem you can try to play in your own way and respect your own rules, i guess that it would please more people who works in cpu security or maybe for the people who dont know much about computers and hacking, that last is my case.
You can see it like an escape game, you've got to find the clues if you want to go ahead, i liked it.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:50 AM   #10
exosyphen

exosyphen studios
Thanks for the feedback, @dispale

Old 02-04-2011, 01:08 AM   #11
frankvdg

for a lot of people thats what this game feels like at first. It really takes getting into, trust me, it gets better.
frankvdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:27 AM   #12
Cpt.Calavera

I played the demo and after some time I realised it's nothing but a puzzle game.

Some unrealistic stuff like spending money to reduce your trace level (wtf?) and transfering money from servers also turned me off.
Cpt.Calavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:01 AM   #13
Ace42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Calavera View Post
I played the demo and after some time I realised it's nothing but a puzzle game.

Some unrealistic stuff like spending money to reduce your trace level (wtf?) and transfering money from servers also turned me off.
Some aspects of it I really liked, but the things that grated on me most were:

1. The Linear game-play. There is a "win" route, and deviating from that means you lose, despite the deviation (and thus finding interesting plot elements, like hidden e-mails, etc), AKA exploring, being the most interesting part of the game.

2. The irritating save mechanic which lets you complete a mission (and thus over-write a "good" save) with an unwinnable game (IE too much trace, too little money, etc etc) forcing you to re-do it from scratch. I started copy-and-pasting "good" saves and using them to over-write "bad" saves via explorer, but that was painfully cumbersome.

3. The on-going Trace build-up across missions in general; which made playing the game a massive project rather than something you could drop into for an entertaining hack, and then walk away from feeling you made progress, rather than feeling you may have just walked towards a dead-end by inadvertently wasting cash on upgrades / etc that could better be spent on eliminating trace.

3b. "Buying" your trace down by releasing the IP; totally nonsensical compared to the rest of the game, becomes a "necessity" instead of an alternative choice to upgrades. Feeds into the problem with issue #1.

The UI and the concepts in the game are great; they're immersive, and the mechanic of surfing the systems I found to be quite rewarding - however the actual implementation of the gameplay leaves a lot to be desired.

I'd rather have seen a non-mission-based campaign where different "factions" have different technological capabilities (and thus rate of trace, level of encryption, etc) and as such your actions determine when a hacked server becomes unavailable (Hack the same faction too often and they get wise and shut down the server you're bouncing through, etc; or change the encryption level forcing you to re-hack and thus build up even MORE trace for that faction).

For example, you start off with the mission briefing (Use the current campaign as a road-map); inspect the stock exchange server, yada yada. Meanwhile any unauthorised "hacking" activity raises your profile with one (or more) factions; so all banking factions get wise to you, and when they have a sufficient amount of trace the level of encryption on ATMs, or other bank related computers goes up, and that faction automatically "logs" any IPs it has discovered while tracing you, making them much less effective for future hacks AGAIN that faction. The banking system would share this information with a faction such as "Interpol" or whatever, who'd be operating traces independently of the banking faction.

However, the "Russian Hacking Group" faction avoid Interpol like the plague, so don't share blacklists with them, and hacking their servers will not effect security of the banking faction or interpol faction, etc. Although they may share their information with another faction such as some political group or the mafia.

You can be even more clever designing the campaign and make it so that known back-doors (For example the Russian hacking group having already hacked the stock-exchange server) are more quickly identified by some factions (IE Interpol) than others - so that a bounce from the stock-exchange server to the russian hacking group server will be quickly traced by the Interpol faction (although not necessarily the independant banking faction that Interpol is roughly allied with!) whereas bouncing off a different corporate node you've hacked wouldn't be as quick.

This means that the player has to deduce what factions if any a node is related to in order to use it effectively against other factions (deducible by checking stuff like the login details, password lists, maybe the hostname, or e-mail traffic), and work on making his life easier (IE not alerting any factions more than necessary) without it being an automatic loss if you take a different route to reach the goal.

The cumulative "Trace" for each faction eliminates "bounce" nodes (by making them worthless for slowing Traces down initially, eventually locking them out altogether and thus forcing a harder re-hack); but will only end the mission if it manages to locate your "home" node - "mission over" replaced by "Interpol are on their way" or "A mafia / contract hitman knocks on your door" or "DDOS from russian script kiddies prevents you from getting online" or whatever.

Because the nodes would be removed naturally as the game progresses, the world map won't get too cluttered, and there is no bizarre arbitrary "you've started a whole new mission, but nothing else has changed" break in the plot.

Also adds to replay value, as you can "pick" your allegiances inadvertently depending on whose agendas you further as you hack.
Ace42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:48 AM   #14
Ghostwriter

I enjoy a game of football, basketball and soccer, and for some reason I also enjoy playing the video game versions...go figure.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:23 PM   #15
exosyphen

exosyphen studios
@Ace42:

The short answer: http://www.HackerEvolutionDuality.com

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Hacker Evolution