Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Dedicated Server Discussions > Half-Life DS (Linux)

Old 10-28-2004, 12:12 AM   #1
Tatsun

Need Help Revamping my community

Ok, for the past year I have ran a CS gaming community located at www.VenomStats.com.
When I first started the community everything ran fine, and the servers were always busy.
We have a dedicated box with specs:

P4 3.0 Ghz
1024 RAM
80Gig HD

The box runs like charm, the problem is that gradually our traffic has decreased on our 1.6 servers to a non-existent presence, as with many other servers. Many things in the community were started and not finsihed, I.E. stats page, server IP listing not being updated.
My admins seem to bicker and argue more than anything, and my tech is a great guy, but just seems to not have much time on his hands these days.

Right now, we are running 2 public 1.6 servers, one CAL server, and a CS:Source server from this box. We also use it to host our vent channel, our website, and our forums as well. Like I said the thing runs great even with all the load on it.

Now, this is what I need help with.
I am currently trying to completly revamp the community, and increase traffic not only on our servers but our forums as well. I need someone who would be willing to help me brainstorm ideas as to how to re-do the community, clean the box itself up (I am linux ignorant, and there are many useless things on the box that need cleaned up. ) Now, I am actually looking for someone who is knowledgable with LINUX, who can help me actually completely get rid of everything on the box, start from scratch, reinstall our 1.6 servers, and our CS:Source server, as well as get our forums and web site back up. Anyone who can do this, would become a part of our my staff (wich I am about to make cuts in) . I am hoping to only have 4-5 people in the staff, but a strong technical guy is a must. While the other staff member would just be admin on the server and moderators on our forums, the TECH who can help me out with this would have full root access to the box, plus of course full admin on servers and admin on the forums as well. I am hoping to find someone interested enough that they would be completely in charge of the box and any changes that needed to be made. I need some serious help here, because at the current rate I am going, my community is going to die, and thats just not something that I really want to see happen. If anyone has ideas, or wants to help, please contact me on AIM @ Tatsun25, or send me an email, Tatsun22@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas suggested.

Last edited by Tatsun: 10-28-2004 at 12:39 AM.

Old 10-28-2004, 12:20 AM   #2
JoMama2

too bad your post is a little too late. I just became part of the community / staff at www.counteradmin.com.

if i didnt start working for them about 3 hours ago i'd help ya out

but feel free to ask me any questions about your *nix box if you have some probs. i think i may be one of the few linux non-noobs here lol.

competent linux admins seem to be scarce on these forums
Old 10-28-2004, 12:28 AM   #3
Tatsun

Crap....

Well my current tech is very knowledgeable, and I am not reall trying to push him aside, but I need someone who can basically take the reins and drive the box so to speak. My knowledge is limited to killing the processes and restarting them. There is so much junk on the box that when I FTP to it, i get lost sometimes.

If you ever have some free time (dont know how long it would take) but I really could use some help completly formatting everything on there and starting over. I think also a name change could help as well.

I also think our 1.6 servers were installed wrong, as the box is in Dallas, TX, located at www.thePlanet.com , but the servers show up as being hosted in Australia for some reason.

Thats only the beginning of the problems I am having.

Please, anyone that can devote some time and energy to what has the potential to be a great community, please HELP ME!!!

Actually i should have stated also, that I am hoping this person would, as payment for the time they devote, an equal partner in the community with myself, and besides doing maintenance to the server, also help with appointing staff members and making decisions around the community.

Last edited by Tatsun: 10-28-2004 at 12:31 AM.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:30 AM   #4
JoMama2

Your servers werent installed wrong. Them showing up as being in australia is nothing more than that IP address space being assigned to Australia but being used in Dallas instead. Doesn't hurt anything.

Now as for reformating, why would you need to reformat the boxes HD? Aside from the fact that you can't reformat the box remotely, linux != windows. Linux doesn't need to be reformatted every 6 months lol
Old 10-28-2004, 12:33 AM   #5
Tatsun

HA!!! it just feels dirty to me is all. I mean last time i tried to delete one file i ended up deleting an entire CS dir by mistake.

Boy my tech was jarateed!!!
Old 10-28-2004, 01:05 AM   #6
JoMama2

lol.

rm -rf will do that to you.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:55 AM   #7
[ade]p00p

I would help you out. I run a Slackware Linux server in my house for mail and CS (well, not again until Source works on "older" AMD hardware), but I have run Apache and PHP in the past (just stopped recently, to move them to another box on a faster connection)

Anyway yeah just get in contact if you want.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:40 AM   #8
Slyguy42o

Quote:
Originally posted by Tatsun
Crap....

Well my current tech is very knowledgeable, and I am not reall trying to push him aside, but I need someone who can basically take the reins and drive the box so to speak. My knowledge is limited to killing the processes and restarting them. There is so much junk on the box that when I FTP to it, i get lost sometimes.

If you ever have some free time (dont know how long it would take) but I really could use some help completly formatting everything on there and starting over. I think also a name change could help as well.

I also think our 1.6 servers were installed wrong, as the box is in Dallas, TX, located at www.thePlanet.com , but the servers show up as being hosted in Australia for some reason.

Thats only the beginning of the problems I am having.

Please, anyone that can devote some time and energy to what has the potential to be a great community, please HELP ME!!!

Actually i should have stated also, that I am hoping this person would, as payment for the time they devote, an equal partner in the community with myself, and besides doing maintenance to the server, also help with appointing staff members and making decisions around the community.

I have hosting with the planet as well.. if you want to start from scratch. You should be able to put in a ticket to get your box reimaged. Also the austrailia thing.. your talking about HLSW rite? I updated the the latest version and it put the correct flags for US based servers.
Slyguy42o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 10:29 AM   #9
Tatsun

Yeah it was HLSW, and I guess your right, cuz I just updated to the current version and now they show up as US.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Dedicated Server Discussions > Half-Life DS (Linux)