Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Grand Theft Auto series

Old 12-18-2010, 04:21 PM   #1
trashbagjesus

GTA IV will not launch (no error messages)

I downloaded GTA IV yesterday and managed to play for about 20 minutes. When I tried to launch the game again, it wouldn't start. The Social Club window pops and I select 'Play Offline', then nothing happens. The game simply won't launch. There are no error messages, and it doesn't look like there are any GTA related programs running in the task manager.

I've updated my net framework to 4.0 from 3.5. I opened GFWL and was prompted to download a hotfix, which I did. I also manually updated GTA to 1.0.7.0. Nothing seems to work. I've been searching the forums and elsewhere to no avail. There doesn't seem to be a solution that works for me.

I don't know if it's the game itself or Steam that is causing the problem. I'm leaning towards Steam, because AracaniA will not launch either. Also, this happened with Farcry, after Steam updated Farcry it ran fine.

GPU: PNY GTX 285 XLR8, 1024MB, GDDR3
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 @ 3.00GHz
RAM: OCZ DDR3 1800MHz SLI Ready (2 GB)
Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro Series
Mobo: XFX 790i Ultra 3-Way SLI, DDR3

DirectX, and my other drivers are all up to date. All my other games run fine.

Last edited by trashbagjesus: 12-18-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:46 AM   #2
trashbagjesus

Just an update. I have uninstalled GTA IV using RevoUninstaller and cleaned out all registry entries related to the game. I've updated GFWL and Microsoft's Visual Redistributable C++ to their latest versions. The game will still not launch.
trashbagjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:07 AM   #3
Dude-01

Same Problem for me. Don't know what happend but with totally different hardware i got the same problem. It shows me the starting dialog from steam and then it closed it without any message.
Dude-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:03 PM   #4
OilySuperWillie

I'm having issues with San Andreas
I get preparing to launch and then I check the task manager and it always closes right away
I tried everything I could find on google and this is extra irritating because it happened with all The Orange Box games last year as well to me which didn't start working until i reinstalled windows.
OilySuperWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:24 PM   #5
trashbagjesus

I honestly believe this to be a Steam problem. Obviously it's not just one game that experiencing this problem. In this post alone, it has been stated that GTA SA, The Orange Box games, ArcaniA, Farcry and GTA IV have all failed to launch under the same circumstances at different points in time. Also, I am experiencing this problem with two different games at this time; GTA IV and ArcaniA.

There are no other symptoms, driver issues would most likely affect other games as well. All of my other games run just fine. Also, there are no error messages from Steam or the OS. As I stated before, Farcry would not launch in the past. It was only after an auto-update through Steam that I was able to start the game.

Different games, same situation, sounds like Steam might be at the root of the problem; Occam's razor. I think the best we can do is hope for some sort of official response. In the meantime open a support ticket.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:27 AM   #6
Anti-Flash

yeah this is pathetic. ing sad.
i have win xp pro 64 - and everything but live worked (couldnt save or play multiplayer) downloaded various millions of stupid windows live bull, now suddenly xlive.dll was giving me problems. so i uninstall the live . and now nothing happens other than the dumb social club login when i click to play.

I'm submitting a steam ticket tonight to get a refund for the recently bought trash game.

Last edited by Anti-Flash: 12-20-2010 at 12:30 AM.
Anti-Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:54 AM   #7
BombcastYall

Same issue here.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:19 AM   #8
Mixel

I had the same thing with episodes from liberty city.

I found the EFLC.exe in the steam folder and run as administrator, which fixed the problem.

It appears I dont even need steam running to launch EFLC now, it starts up just fine without it.
Mixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:41 PM   #9
trashbagjesus

Mixel, I appreciate the feedback. However, as I stated in the OP, I am running XP.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:41 AM   #10
DESIDEvivix

if you have Internet Explorer 9 installed, remove it. theres a compatibility problem with flash and GTA. good luck
DESIDEvivix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:07 AM   #11
trashbagjesus

I never installed IE9. I use Firefox but, thanks you for the advice nonetheless. Steam support got back to me and I can now play the game. Only problem is, I have to reinstall wmfdist11.exe after every restart to get the game running. Can't complain though, at least I can finally play the game.

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

Please do not install any manual updates that were not provided by the Steam client or the GFWL client.

NOTE: If you are running in Windows Vista or Windows 7, please completely exit Steam, and right-click on the shortcut which you use to launch Steam and select "Run as Administrator."

You may need to manually run secondary installers required by this game.

Exit Steam entirely.

Browse to your Grand Theft Auto 4 installation folder (Usually C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\grand theft auto iv\)

You will need to run each of the following installers:

...\steamapps\common\grand theft auto iv\Installers\DirectX_jun2008\DXSETUP

...\steamapps\common\grand theft auto iv\Installers\DirectX_Mar2009\DXSETUP

...\steamapps\common\grand theft auto iv\Installers\vcredist_x86

Also, install the latest version of the Games For Windows Live software, which can be found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/games/en-us...rketplace.aspx

If you are running Windows XP, please run these installers as well:

...\steamapps\common\grand theft auto iv\Installers\wmfdist11

...\steamapps\common\grand theft auto iv\Installers\umdf

...\steamapps\common\grand theft auto iv\Installers\wmpappcompat

Restart your computer and test the issue again.

If you continue to have difficulty, run this installer:

...\steamapps\common\grand theft auto iv\GTAIV\Activation\SteamActivation
Old 12-23-2010, 09:22 AM   #12
KawaiiSara

XSEED Games
Had a problem running the game myself.
Opening the Games For Windows Marketplace then running the game with it open worked for me.
KawaiiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:15 AM   #13
Anti-Flash

uh...
Quote:
If you are running Windows XP, please run these installers as well:

...\steamapps\common\grand theft auto iv\Installers\wmfdist11

...\steamapps\common\grand theft auto iv\Installers\umdf

...\steamapps\common\grand theft auto iv\Installers\wmpappcompat
I'm running windows XP Pro 64bit edition, all of the above installers gave the same error saying:
This is for a different hardware platform.

Any tips?

Update: Following these directions didn't work for me at all. GFWL asks me to install a hotfix, which i try with the provided links and that also gives me an error. I noticed i have updates for windows so I'm gonna update a few times to see maybe if that works.

Last edited by Anti-Flash: 12-24-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Anti-Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:26 PM   #14
trashbagjesus

Anti-Flash, my advice to you would be the following;

- Forget the GFWL exe in the GTA directory. I just got the latest file version directly from the GFWL site.
- As for the executable files, you may need to find the versions for your 64 bit OS. The Windows Media Format Runtime (wmfdist11.exe) that is in the GTA directory is an older version. From what i can tell, the file version is 6.1.0022.4. Just to be safe double check to make sure I am right.
- Oddly enough, the User Mode-Driver Framework (umfd.exe) is the same file version; 6.1.0022.4. Again, double check.
- That error message is odd though, it states that the hardware platform is different. Not sure if that matters, but try finding the 64 bit versions of those files.
- If you manage to find the correct files remember that Windows Auto Update will replace wmfdist11, so you're going to have to turn it off and skip any new installations when updating manually.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:03 PM   #15
jasonwuzthere

DESIDEvivix: Thanks, uninstalling IE9 did the trick for me.

Just a thought AntiFlash, try installing/running it in compatibility mode? XP 64-bit can be a bit of a PITA. Good Luck!
jasonwuzthere is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Grand Theft Auto series