Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Bejeweled series

Old 12-20-2010, 03:29 PM   #1
Blodders

Is it a game of skill?

Or luck on Classic mode.

HAvent been able to get pastlevel 12 so far. The game starts out easy with lots of options to link gems, then seems gradually to leave you with very little.

Any good tactics for this, i try leaving the exploding and hypercubes, but there comes a time when i need to use them as nothing else is in play.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:22 PM   #2
JediMastr80

I noticed this also.

The only thing i could give as Advice is Try working Top to Bottom.

If you get the Gems on the Top 1st, then work to the bottom,
You might then give you more matches up top as the gems fall.

I haven't even got past level 10 yet in Classic.
JediMastr80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:17 AM   #3
Jonny5300394

It's a game of skillful luck, you need the skills to get the luck to pass the level.

I remember when I first played classic. I couldn't get past the next consecutive level. Now I get to level fifteen and higher easily.
Jonny5300394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:47 AM   #4
XQZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny5300394 View Post
It's a game of skillful luck, you need the skills to get the luck to pass the level.

I remember when I first played classic. I couldn't get past the next consecutive level. Now I get to level fifteen and higher easily.
thats well said. You need to give the game the chance to make you lucky. Bejeweled is not so hard, but when you mess everything up, the game simply cant help you out.

And dont force a hypercube, they mostly come themselves.. like I said, just make it possible for the game
XQZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:56 AM   #5
DanielT

There is definitely a skill/strategy aspect to the game. Sometimes you get unlucky and there is nothing you can do about it but there are several things you can do.

(1) Work top to bottom. This is because the bottom matches rearrange those rows of the board. Don't rearrange yourself out of a existing match.

(2) Work outside in. The gems in the middle have more possible matches than the gems on the outside so when you get a match involving the outside two columns always take it.

(3) Strategic blowing up. When you have one of the special gems use it strategically. Don't blow it up just because you can. This is especially true of the hyper cube. It is an error if you let one of the special gems blow up the hyper cube because you lose control over which color of gem gets taken off the board.

Last edited by DanielT: 02-01-2012 at 01:02 AM. Reason: grammar
DanielT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #6
JoeSlow

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielT View Post
There is definitely a skill/strategy aspect to the game. Sometimes you get unlucky and there is nothing you can do about it but there are several things you can do.

(1) Work top to bottom. This is because the bottom matches rearrange those rows of the board. Don't rearrange yourself out of a existing match.

(2) Work outside in. The gems in the middle have more possible matches than the gems on the outside so when you get a match involving the outside two columns always take it.

(3) Strategic blowing up. When you have one of the special gems use it strategically. Don't blow it up just because you can. This is especially true of the hyper cube. It is an error if you let one of the special gems blow up the hyper cube because you lose control over which color of gem gets taken off the board.
Hey that are really good hints.
I just tried them and I was surprised.
I didn't think that they would work that good!

Before I read your strategy, I only tried to go for hypercubes.
When I made one, I blew it up directly and tried to build a new one.
To achieve that quickly, I worked inside out.
This makes you earn very many points in early levels, but unfortunately I always failed between level 15 and 20 (no more moves left).

So, your strategy is far better.
I think, if I don't lose concentration, I could play forever
JoeSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:15 AM   #7
DCLXVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by XQZ View Post
thats well said. You need to give the game the chance to make you lucky. Bejeweled is not so hard, but when you mess everything up, the game simply cant help you out.

And dont force a hypercube, they mostly come themselves.. like I said, just make it possible for the game
Yes, don't go nuts on every match you see or try to blow everything up. Keep that for endless mode.

The 3 steps methods above is a good summary for Classic mode. Although there are always little exceptions and variations.

Keep the lower matches as "safeties" to use when no more matches are possible above. The game tries to bring new combinations on the gems coming on the board. However the harder the level, the harder they are to figure out. They might need some thinking or rearranging lower gems before working out. Always get back to top row after each move.

So you need to keep some solutions in the lower board in case you get stuck with the top rows.

And blow up only when you can afford it (on top of the board) or side when impact is minimal and it does not mess your safeties. Try to get flame and star gems to the bottom, as well as hypercubes. They'll basically give you an option to rescramble that you can use on last resort.
DCLXVI is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Bejeweled series