Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Super Meat Boy

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2010, 05:23 PM   #1
g051051
 
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Reputation: 0
Posts: 143
Ugh, not recommended

I really don't see what the hype is about. Sloppy controls, annoying stuff (like the loud announcer voice and the automatic "replay" mode), etc. It's just not fun. I'm glad I didn't pay full price, but I'm sorry I didn't wait for a demo and bought it on sale. Big mistake.

Maybe you'll like this game, but I'd definitely wait for a demo before putting down good money. Unfortunately, it seems a great deal of the Steam catalog is bad games that didn't sell well at retail.
g051051 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:25 PM   #2
Xenesis
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Reputation: 201
Posts: 3,050
Controls aren't sloppy - you just have to learn them. They're really quite precise.

Spend a bit of time and you'll get used to them.
Xenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:25 PM   #3
trojanpooh
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Reputation: 55
Posts: 933
The fact that you say the controls are sloppy completely invalidates your opinion. Also you can skip the replay, it takes half a second. Not exactly a big deal. Sorry that you don't like it though. At least it was only $4
trojanpooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:33 PM   #4
TheKbob
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Reputation: 171
Posts: 455
Games plays better than the Flash title. The integrated 360 pad support is leap years better than my cobbling together some XPADDER action to play the flash game (which I also beat).

Doesn't the announcer only speak once at the beginning? A bit nit picking, aren't we?
TheKbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:34 PM   #5
Xenesis
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Reputation: 201
Posts: 3,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKbob View Post
Doesn't the announcer only speak once at the beginning? A bit nit picking, aren't we?
I believe the three announcer phrases are:

"SUUUUUPER MEAT BOY!"
"WAAAAAAARP ZOOOOOOONE!"
"PUSH THE BUTTONS!"

And seriously. How could you not love WAAAAAARP ZONE!
Xenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:36 PM   #6
Talset09
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Reputation: 3
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenesis View Post
And seriously. How could you not love WAAAAAARP ZONE!
Honestly, only once, trying to get a band aid, playing in the am hours wanting to sleep, frustrated and really impatient, just shut up and warp me in already.
Talset09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:37 PM   #7
TheKbob
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Reputation: 171
Posts: 455
See, that's how often I don't even notice it. I'm almost on the 3rd Zone, but I have to get A+ on both light and dark worlds in a zone before I move on.

It's gonna make for a rough back half of the game, I know it. But after beating the flash game, I have a better idea of what their tricks are. It's now no longer raging and flipping out, but watching and learning levels until you see the proper tactics. Then you just train the execution and completely "rofl-stomp" the given time limit for Grade A+. Usually I can beat those times by 5 seconds on average.
TheKbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:40 PM   #8
Selben Coirlo
 
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Reputation: 112
Posts: 660
Most of the A+ times are easy to beat as long as you keep moving. A few of them are tricky though.
Selben Coirlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:44 PM   #9
trojanpooh
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Reputation: 55
Posts: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talset09 View Post
Honestly, only once, trying to get a band aid, playing in the am hours wanting to sleep, frustrated and really impatient, just shut up and warp me in already.
The "Waaaaaaarrrrp Zoooonnneee!" Scene is actually a masked load time, so they can't get rid of it/make it skipable.
trojanpooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:29 PM   #10
g051051
 
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Reputation: 0
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanpooh View Post
The fact that you say the controls are sloppy completely invalidates your opinion. Also you can skip the replay, it takes half a second. Not exactly a big deal. Sorry that you don't like it though. At least it was only $4
I stand by my assessment. The controls ARE sloppy, and just because you invested the excessive and frustrating time to master them doesn't make them any less sloppy, it just makes you more tolerant of bad controls. Again, I'm urging people to at least wait for and try a demo before buying it and being frustrated and disappointed.

And yes it's easy to skip the replay, but I NEVER want to see the replay. They need an option to disable that "feature".

Last edited by g051051: 12-20-2010 at 06:31 PM.
g051051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:30 PM   #11
g051051
 
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Reputation: 0
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenesis View Post
I believe the three announcer phrases are:

"SUUUUUPER MEAT BOY!"
"WAAAAAAARP ZOOOOOOONE!"
"PUSH THE BUTTONS!"

And seriously. How could you not love WAAAAAARP ZONE!
It's annoying, but the main complaint is that it's too loud compared to the other effects. If you turn it down low enough for the voice to be tolerable, you can't hear the rest of the game.
g051051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:33 PM   #12
Xenesis
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Reputation: 201
Posts: 3,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by g051051 View Post
I stand by my assessment. The controls ARE sloppy, and just because you invested the excessive and frustrating time to master them doesn't make them any less sloppy, it just makes you more tolerant of bad controls. Again, I'm urging people to at least wait for and try a demo before buying it and being frustrated and disappointed.
I honestly don't know what game you're playing because I have only once been frustrated with the controls when Speedrunning 6-2 and trying to walljump a 1-tile block while falling half a screen. And honestly, I think that's because of my own lack of timing at 3am more than anything :P

The controls are not sloppy. You have an incredible degree of control. You also have a fair amount of momentum which you do need to learn to use properly.

Quote:
It's annoying, but the main complaint is that it's too loud compared to the other effects. If you turn it down low enough for the voice to be tolerable, you can't hear the rest of the game.
Eh, fair enough.
Xenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:36 PM   #13
trojanpooh
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Reputation: 55
Posts: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by g051051 View Post
I stand by my assessment. The controls ARE sloppy, and just because you invested the excessive and frustrating time to master them doesn't make them any less sloppy, it just makes you more tolerant of bad controls. Again, I'm urging people to at least wait for and try a demo before buying it and being frustrated and disappointed.

And yes it's easy to skip the replay, but I NEVER want to see the replay. They need an option to disable that "feature".
They are quite literally the most intuitive and easy to understand controls I have ever felt in my life. I don't think I've ever played a game with better controls/physics. It has nothing to do with me being "tolerant of bad controls"

As for the replay, I still don't see how its at all a big deal, but whatever.
trojanpooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:41 PM   #14
GameRoom
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Reputation: 14
Posts: 104
The replays are a pretty cool feature. A bit glitchy with lag, but not being amazed by the awesomeness of it shows that you have some sort of problem with being amazed by awesomeness. The controls took me like half an hour or so to get, and I'm pretty sure lag was screwing with me those first 30 or so minutes.
GameRoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:42 PM   #15
Scarecroww
 
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Reputation: 19
Posts: 82
This game has some of the tightest controls I have ever experienced.
Scarecroww is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Super Meat Boy


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.