Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Oddworld series

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 02:05 PM   #556
Rural
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Reputation: 0
Posts: 10
I wish the people who are complaining about this would just uninstall and move on in their perfect 'never late' life... No one cares about your impatience!
Rural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:27 PM   #557
coreluros
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
My Screen Size

No matter what size i set it for, the game still cuts off most of the game when in fullscreen. What is the right way to fix this? Please don't point out another tip, just the advice. I don't have time to sift through so many forums.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #558
AmazingManco
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Reputation: 22
Posts: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatycre View Post
They have already missed the original deadline they set in this thread. "Late this week, or early next". Once they hit that deadline, they started the "within seven days" line of BS. Guess what? That means they've asked for another week, two separate times. Which means they've already broken their supposed dead line once, and in two more days will have done so again. Which is bad enough by itself, but when taken with the fact that the game has been released for nearly a month, it's extremely bad.
The funny thing is they said "this week or early next" on Tuesday, and then "within seven days" on the Friday. They hadn't "hit the deadline" so much as extended it by a couple of days before they even reached it.

You're also ignoring the fact that while the game has been out for three and a half weeks now, the developers have only really been working on the patch for a week and a half - they were closed over Christmas, and that's really not something they could have avoided.

Basically, you're taking rough estimates as exact deadlines and ignoring the actual time spent on the patch in favour of the time the game has been released for. Context is key for making judgements.
AmazingManco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:12 PM   #559
Powerphreak
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Reputation: 0
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingManco View Post
Context is key for making judgements.
He doesn't care about context. He's in a self-righteous rage, and would much rather try to sound important by whining to others. Check out page 20 when he said that I claimed everyone was flaming for no reason when I said no such thing. I said people were flaming needlessly. I believe they have good reason to be upset, but flaming the devs does no good. Hell, I was upset when this game trudged along at a blistering 10 FPS.

I also believe that JAW will fix it. The evidence is there, but people like Jatycre either CAN'T see it or WONT see it.

Context? What's that? Can you eat it?

That's my last post on this subject, anything more from me will be reporting more bugs, because I'm turning into something I don't want to be.

Last edited by Powerphreak: 01-12-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Powerphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:43 PM   #560
suibriel
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Reputation: 10
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerphreak View Post
I believe they have good reason to be upset, but flaming the devs does no good.
Come on champ.

Do you seriously think these guys would care if their reputation wasn't on the line? There are plenty of quotes around here stating basically "the game works fine for us but we'll fix it for you NINJA ELITIST WHINERS"

Everyone that's complaining about the complainers would be complaining about the game instead if there weren't other people taking up the cause before you.
suibriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:11 AM   #561
Jatycre
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thank you suibriel, you nailed it on the head. If the community hadn't said anything negative about this port, and put JAW's reputation at stake over it, nothing would've been done. JAW's initial response was basically "It works for us". That's pretty much exactly what they said on the NeoGAF boards. "It works for us. You guys just expect too much." It's only because so many people got so angry, and put JAW's reputation as a developer at stake, that they had to do something.

Thank you for attacking me Powerphreak. I appreciate it that you can't refute any of the claims any of us have made in this thread, so you feel the need to try and take cheap personal shots. Shows your maturity level. Especially since your argument consists of pointing out that I said you were attacking people for being angry over this game, by completely admitting that you did just that. "Flaming for no reason" vs "Flaming needlessly", is really an extremely weak argument. There's not much of a difference in those two statements. It's grasping straws to try and make yourself look better. It's like arguing the difference between "I lied", and "I bent the truth". In the end, they mean the same thing.


The whole, taking things out of context argument is ridiculous. The context is clear. JAW's response is the subject matter that we've been discussing. The status of the game, and the actual work done, or lack thereof is the context surrounding it. Basically their verbal response has been good, in that they've made big promises. However when it comes to the actual results, well we haven't seen any at all. When you look at the real story here, which is the fact that we haven't seen anything real so far, that's when it hits home. There's no context you can take that in that makes it look good.

Maybe you can ignore that, but I can't. Some of us just can't accept every word that comes from JAW in blind faith. The proof is in the pudding. Until we see something real, then all we've gotten from JAW are a bunch of empty promises.

Last edited by Jatycre: 01-13-2011 at 12:32 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:06 AM   #562
pkt-zer0
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Reputation: 29
Posts: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatycre View Post
Thank you suibriel, you nailed it on the head. If the community hadn't said anything negative about this port, and put JAW's reputation at stake over it, nothing would've been done.
Your moaning about JAW not releasing the patch fast enough has nothing to do with that, thankfully. But hey, it's not like you ever intended to accomplish anything useful with your tirade, so I guess it all works out in the end.
pkt-zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:58 AM   #563
Stewart Gilray
 
JAW CEO
Join Date: Dec 2010
Reputation: 80
Posts: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradersancho View Post
I guess you've never heard of a ball park estimate before? If you go back to the original thread you will find that Stewart said "we are _trying_ to get this out late this week or early next".

Wait, no, you are right. The patch is all done and they are sitting around drinking beer purchased with their ill-gotten gains laughing, LAUGHING at us. Yes, that sounds completely plausible.
If only that was true, if it was, we'd be working on NEW projects, and getting ready for our office move, as it it's we've delayed the move and have had to put off 2 new projects until we're done with both games.
Stewart Gilray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:08 AM   #564
Stewart Gilray
 
JAW CEO
Join Date: Dec 2010
Reputation: 80
Posts: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatycre View Post
Thank you suibriel, you nailed it on the head. If the community hadn't said anything negative about this port, and put JAW's reputation at stake over it, nothing would've been done. JAW's initial response was basically "It works for us". That's pretty much exactly what they said on the NeoGAF boards. "It works for us. You guys just expect too much." It's only because so many people got so angry, and put JAW's reputation as a developer at stake, that they had to do something.

Thank you for attacking me Powerphreak. I appreciate it that you can't refute any of the claims any of us have made in this thread, so you feel the need to try and take cheap personal shots. Shows your maturity level. Especially since your argument consists of pointing out that I said you were attacking people for being angry over this game, by completely admitting that you did just that. "Flaming for no reason" vs "Flaming needlessly", is really an extremely weak argument. There's not much of a difference in those two statements. It's grasping straws to try and make yourself look better. It's like arguing the difference between "I lied", and "I bent the truth". In the end, they mean the same thing.


The whole, taking things out of context argument is ridiculous. The context is clear. JAW's response is the subject matter that we've been discussing. The status of the game, and the actual work done, or lack thereof is the context surrounding it. Basically their verbal response has been good, in that they've made big promises. However when it comes to the actual results, well we haven't seen any at all. When you look at the real story here, which is the fact that we haven't seen anything real so far, that's when it hits home. There's no context you can take that in that makes it look good.

Maybe you can ignore that, but I can't. Some of us just can't accept every word that comes from JAW in blind faith. The proof is in the pudding. Until we see something real, then all we've gotten from JAW are a bunch of empty promises.
Actually what I said here AND on Gaf was that "I was surprised how much expectations had changed in 10 years" NOT that your expectations were wrong.

I've been making games since the 80s, before some of you were born, and I remember the original NES, in some parts of the world the "power" button, was called the "Play" button, as demogaphics had shown that people didn't understand "Power".

Looking at PC gaming 10 years ago, all games had to make it EASY for the user, as the users were of a certain mind-set and that that was the way things WERE.

Roll forward to 2010/2011 and it has changed MASSIVELY, and I said that and I acknowledged that.

It was *MY* mistake that Stranger had the extremely limited options it had on shipping, but no one told us differently during it's development.

I am actually GLAD you guys have got so upset over this, it has given us here a quick education about the expectation of todays PC gamers and games. As such we are fixing both games.

Stranger is pretty much there now, we've got a few things left to finish up on, small bugs etc. But so far the changes (not performance related here, just new features) are ...

1. The Launcher program now asks your computer what resolutions are available, and lists those instead for YOU to choose.

2. You have a vsync option now.

3. You can chose "Keyboard/Mouse" for controls and it also asks windows what USB gaming devices are attached and lists those too, so you can chose which one YOU want to play with.

4. In the config file, it now has full keyboard config, so you can change the layout to whatever you like. IE forward="W" etc.

5. We have made the mouse control 1:1, we thought we'd removed the joypad "dead zone" code, however it seems this code was setup in multiple locations in the original game.

This is just a list of SOME of the changes we've done, all these will be published in this forum as a changelist as the update goes off to Valve for releasing.
Stewart Gilray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:12 AM   #565
macdory
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Reputation: 15
Posts: 117
Quote:
We have HUGELY increased performance, a tester who had the game running at only 20fps in 800x600 mode is now running at around 60fps in 1920x1050 res.
So you did know that performance was crap before release then?
macdory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:15 AM   #566
Stewart Gilray
 
JAW CEO
Join Date: Dec 2010
Reputation: 80
Posts: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdory View Post
So you did know that performance was crap before release then?
We're NOT PC gamers here at JAW so we thought was good enough, as it turned out, even we were like "WTF?" when we found the bugs.

Someone said to me that Crysis runs very well at on their ATI 5470 with i5 processor. I tried it on mine, and according to Fraps it runs at ~15fps. I have this config in a Laptop, so perhaps that's the difference?!

Anyway, we've found and fixed the issues.
Stewart Gilray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:35 AM   #567
Crookleg
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Reputation: 8
Posts: 232
Basically, we all shut up and wait instead of arguing with eachother. If you do feel the need to be vocal on a non-important note, please do so somewhere else.
Crookleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:55 AM   #568
macdory
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Reputation: 15
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Gilray View Post
We're NOT PC gamers here at JAW so we thought was good enough, as it turned out, even we were like "WTF?" when we found the bugs.
Thanks for the reply - at least I know not to buy one of your games on the PC at release again in future ... given that you are "NOT PC Gamers" and thought the steaming pile you released was "good enough" ... is this really what you are meaning to say?

I have a decent specced PC and your product brought it to its knees ... glad to hear it's been fixed, but lets be honest, it should never have been released in this state!

Hopefully everyone learns a lesson from this episode - JAW not to release cheap cash-ins without first testing them properly and the punters to not just buy on past reputation.
macdory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:59 AM   #569
macdory
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Reputation: 15
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookleg View Post
Basically, we all shut up and wait instead of arguing with eachother. If you do feel the need to be vocal on a non-important note, please do so somewhere else.
Jeez, grow a pair ...

There is no argument going on .. people are expressing their frustration at a product which was released in a poor state, and which is now recieving some possitive post sales support.

Last edited by macdory: 01-13-2011 at 05:03 AM.
macdory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:23 AM   #570
AmazingManco
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Reputation: 22
Posts: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdory View Post
which is now recieving some possitive post sales support.
...which people are ignoring in favour of taking cheap shots at the devs. Some of us are getting sick of reading it.
AmazingManco is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Oddworld series


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.