Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box

Old 12-21-2010, 11:23 AM   #1
_Duality_

Question Any weird 3rd party DRM?

I ask because the game is "old" and I don't wanna get something that might stop in the near future because the revocation servers are down and they forgot to patch the game to remove the drm.

Also what about the ads? will the included software that collects data necessary to provide ingame advertising be running at all times?

TiA.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:56 AM   #2
revoc

I'd like to know this as well. I could have sworn it had Securom. Was it removed?
revoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
DJ Cryotek

Yeah, I read that you have to create an EA online account to even play the game. What happens when they go down? And the "extras" included in the "ultimate" box sound like free DLC from what I'm hearing here. So... when the servers go down you are sol on that stuff at the very least?

And what kind of of "data" does this in-game ad software collect?! I'm not putting spyware on my PC to play a game. Supposedly it adds some EA 'download manager' to your startup as well.

The game itself sounds like a blast for $5, but can someone tell us how bad these issues are?
DJ Cryotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:08 PM   #4
UberMudkipz

These problems hat have been stated are not as bad as it sounds. I have not encountered any DRM except for the fact that you have to create an EA account.

The part where it says it uses your computer information is just gathering your country location. The game has billboards with "real" ads. (eg. McDonalds, EVGA PC Parts) To make these ads, it needs your location to use the right ones. It dosent use any other information.

The free DLC is always there, even when you are offline, but I have a feeling EA *MAY* shut down the servers, but it wont be for a while. For 5 bucks, get it. Its a blast, and we need more people online.

EDIT: EA download manager isnt needed unless you buys games from www.EA.com or you update your game manually. Steam does all that for you, so just remove EA DL Manager after installation.
UberMudkipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:12 PM   #5
Ohlalala

Banned
I dunno about the Steam version, I got the retail one but:

- yes there is Securom, activations are revocable when you uninstall
- yes you have to create an EA account to download the last patch and play online (multiplayer is almost dead btw)
- the store is closed, that means you cannot purchase all the DLC

All that crap can't change the fact that this game is the best arcade racing ever seen on pc.
Ohlalala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:13 PM   #6
UberMudkipz

ALSO, the Burnout store is closed. So any extra DLC (new cars) is not available on PC anymore What a shame.

WAHHH! i got ninja'd again.
UberMudkipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:53 PM   #7
_Duality_

Well I'm looking for an updated Midtown Madness replacement (if anyone remembers that game) and if this game is the best arcade racing game on PC I think I'll get it.

Btw, Can someone with the game fully updated post a screen capture of the properties of the exe or at least state the version of the main executable?

Thanks!!!
_Duality_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:11 PM   #8
Lurpsukka

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Cryotek View Post
Yeah, I read that you have to create an EA online account to even play the game. What happens when they go down? And the "extras" included in the "ultimate" box sound like free DLC from what I'm hearing here. So... when the servers go down you are sol on that stuff at the very least?

And what kind of of "data" does this in-game ad software collect?! I'm not putting spyware on my PC to play a game. Supposedly it adds some EA 'download manager' to your startup as well.

The game itself sounds like a blast for $5, but can someone tell us how bad these issues are?
You can play without online account.
Lurpsukka is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box