Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Blade Kitten

Old 12-23-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
Exatrive

Lightbulb Been waiting for steam sale.

Going off some pretty old post I'm going to assume this is one of them overlooked and underrated, poorly advertised games. In fact, the only reason I knew about this going on sale is because it was sitting in my wish list. Well I bought it and hope to play it when I get home, and will give my input on the gameplay... assuming anyone even notices the game on sale and visits the forum, and happens to be up late tonight going through their game list.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:00 PM   #2
cody48

Same here. I've been watching this one for awhile to see if it would get a sale, and so far that I've seen, this is the first real sale it's gotten.

I've dropped a few games into my wishlist just so I can easily watch if they go on sale, and this was the only one that was yet to get a discount of any kind; So I just got a bit excited when I saw it was 50% off. Daily deal or not, I'm jumping on it while the gettin's good.
cody48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:40 PM   #3
paratech2008

Thanks for the heads up!
paratech2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:04 AM   #4
TJF588

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody48 View Post
Daily deal or not, I'm jumping on it while the gettin's good.
The getting will be just as good come the end of the sale (though, if you wanna be absolutely sure you don't miss out, try the day before the last day, to avoid Steam being overburdened, as it is oft to do).
TJF588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:37 AM   #5
cody48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJF588 View Post
The getting will be just as good come the end of the sale (though, if you wanna be absolutely sure you don't miss out, try the day before the last day, to avoid Steam being overburdened, as it is oft to do).
I jumped on buying it because it IS the fourth(?) day of the sale and this game is *just* getting discounted, and for that reason alone I'd rather go ahead and get it now before they change their mind.

Trust me, I've been around the last couple of years for the Christmas sales (Been registered since 2008), I definitely know my around the sales.

Plus, I just played a couple hours, and it's definitely worth it's $5. Very entertaining. Heck, even the demo kept me entertained for a good chunk of time.
cody48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:26 AM   #6
Slaizt

I started looking at this yesterday and thought "damn... no discount" and then suddenly a -50% came along!
I do have a few questions that you lads might be kind to answer (if any question been answered before in this forum, my apologies *bows*)

#1. How long would it take for a first playthrough in a normal relaxed pace?

#2. Hows the replayability? Are there any additional modes next to the main?

#3. How many costumes and weapons are there to unlock (I'm a unlock- and customization-junkie :3)?

#4. Are there any particular problems with this game technically? I read about a weird camera and a 30fps cap but I don't think it'll bother me.

#5. When does the comic (at the official site) take place in referance to the game?

and lastly...

#6. Episode 2, is it 100% that it will arrive or are we all sitting here crossing our fingers?

I know it's a lot of questions for something that is just 3.99€ and even has a demo, but my internet speed is 0.5mb (max speed = 50kb/s) so it takes a while for me to download and I'm up for a busy day today (Christmas Eve after all). Thank you very kindly for any answers to this and Merry Christmas to you all!
Slaizt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:14 AM   #7
Exatrive

Thumbs up Good Plat-former game

Not sure about game length but will say.. The MAPS are huge!... The game seems pretty well coded (single load time) and the maps go ON and ON and ON. Similar to Gas Powered games "Dungeon Siege 1" with very little load time. The Animation is also very very smooth and seems very well done for cut-scenes, fights, and idle animation.. The character you control has a lot of subtle animation for just about every encounter with your environment or npc and some slow-mo combo that I haven't quite figured out. Should you be standing on the edge of a spheric object you idle character seems to have multiple poses for being so close to the edge or on a slope. So there just seems to be a nice quality to the game for the size of the developer team for this game. There were parts of the game that had slowdowns but these were short lived like single area hot spots and not map wide. This is running on older hardware mind you.. a nv 7950 GTX 512meg.

Re playability is there (similar to MARIO style replay) if your into trying to find every secrete hidden spot in the maps, as there are a lot of them. There is a cool level select option in game once unlocked. There is a lot of costumes to unlock but not many of the other items.. Only 4-5 swords if I remember correctly. I haven't had a problem with the camera as your character moves, your in a round bubble so when you get in front of anything the bubble cuts away at any foreground objects. The bubble only follows your character so while your camera can move I can see why if your scouting the area without moving you might miss something.. You can Pan the camera via the right stick on a game-pad. BTW I think this is one of them games that plays best with game-pad unless you have keyboard skills & and a quality keyboard that can pull off a multiple key presses to pull off combos.

No Game modes other then the story unless I missed something.

Its a nice game.. story is cutesy (which is a turn off for some) but if you know this before hand you can actually laugh at the games stupid parts. In other words "why so serious" enjoy the game like a plat-former should be. It has a better story then old Mario I would think. But this isn't a game you buy for story.. This game is one you can pick up and play for a few and put it down without stressing on missing something.

Anyways time to get back to game-play.. about a hour left on the sale local central time...

BTW I don't get how some games can carry a simple story like "Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale" and get Great reviews, and this one have a simple story and get sub-par reviews.. Both are CUTE games... just Recettear has a shop in it where you play with numbers per npc.. Both are simple games..
Metascore

Last edited by Exatrive: 12-24-2010 at 09:30 AM. Reason: BTW
Exatrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:33 AM   #8
Slaizt

Thank you very much for the detailed answer, Exatrive! Very much appriciated and I don't mind cutesy and stuff and love a good platformer so I'll go pick it up right now!
Have some +rep and a Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2010, 06:38 PM   #9
paratech2008

I purchased Blade Kitten!
paratech2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:43 AM   #10
Slaizt

I'm VERY happy with my purchase!
The platforming and exploring is right down my alley and I feel that I'm going to get lots of hours out of this one. You guys weren't kidding when you said the levels were huge! THEY NEVER FREAKING END! lol.

I've noticed one thing tho, but I think that's more me then the game. When I start to pick up some speed while running, it feels like stuff is "merging" graphically. I never have trouble with motion-blur otherwise but it feels like this hits a spot for me. At first I played at 1920x1080 fullscreen, then switched to 1280x720 windowed and then back 1080 fullscreen, put on my glasses and sat waaaay back in my chair all with a fairly similar result. Damn game is playing tricks on me lol. Maybe years of gaming has finally ruined my eyes

Even with my own personal little problem, I enjoy Blade Kitten enormously and can't wait to play more even if it means I'll go blind lol. Highly recommanded to platforming fans who are considering it!
Old 12-25-2010, 08:16 AM   #11
Zyat

Thanks for this thread. I loved the demo when it first came out but somehow forgot about this game.

+1 purchase
Zyat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:05 AM   #12
Exatrive

Since its on sale I am going to post a game-play video of this from my channel/steam profile.
I did a test recording with this game so here ya go. Linked to my ID for the summer sale tickets.

Blade Kitten Gameplay

Post number 7 has my initial perception of the game.
Exatrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:44 AM   #13
TJF588

@Slaizt: Nah, it blurs for me, too.
TJF588 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Blade Kitten