Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Oddworld series

Old 12-23-2010, 06:55 PM   #1
TheBrownDandy

Question Munch: Worth the Purchase of an Xbox Controller?

All this running around after curving, winding spooce trails has me thinking this would be even more fun if I were using an Xbox controller instead of my keyboard.

Those of you playing with controllers, is it really that much better? This (and Stranger) might be the only PC games I'd ever use the $45 (might as well do wireless) controller for. Think it's worth it?

Old 12-23-2010, 07:46 PM   #2
Zhennlash

Absolutely, just beat Munch's with the 360 controller, it's worth the purchase.
Once you've got the workaround (menu settings for running) in place, the game controls great. Rumble is accurate to the Xbox version, and this game uses the secondary triggers (a rare feat for PC games).
I'd go for the wireless too.
Zhennlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:22 PM   #3
mcnichoj

If you get a wireless controller don't forget to pick up the PC adapter, I've known so many people that foget to buy that/thought you could just sync it with a charge and play kit.

The controller is also pretty nifty for other PC games and emulators.
mcnichoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:35 PM   #4
Zhennlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnichoj View Post
If you get a wireless controller don't forget to pick up the PC adapter, I've known so many people that foget to buy that/thought you could just sync it with a charge and play kit.

The controller is also pretty nifty for other PC games and emulators.
This. Definitely.

Buy the "Xbox 360 controller for Windows". It's the standard 360 controller / USB charging cable, with a small tethered USB dongle for the wireless connection. Naturally the controller will work with an Xbox 360 if you own one.

The only downside is the secondary triggers, as some games on steam are not coded to recognize them. Assassin's Creed 1/2 is the most notable example I've got, and I'm fairly certain the new Prince of Persia had the same issue at release. On the upside, however, almost all steam games that are "controller enabled" are set up to use the device by default, and no configuration is required.

The controller is certainly usable for emulation etc, as it's a verified windows input device. Some emulators are able to use the secondary triggers, some are not. Most support Rumble with some plugin options set.

Once you've got the USB dongle, you can connect "normal" wireless 360 controllers to your computer as well.

The 360 controller is easily my favorite gaming input device, I hope you find it as useful as I do.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:55 PM   #5
TheBrownDandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhennlash View Post
...Buy the "Xbox 360 controller for Windows". It's the standard 360 controller / USB charging cable, with a small tethered USB dongle for the wireless connection...
I was looking at this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox...dp/B002TIW7OI/

Is that the same as what you're recommending?
Old 12-23-2010, 09:21 PM   #6
Zhennlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrownDandy View Post
I was looking at this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox...dp/B002TIW7OI/

Is that the same as what you're recommending?
Yep, the very same.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:01 AM   #7
SpAM_CAN

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrownDandy View Post
All this running around after curving, winding spooce trails has me thinking this would be even more fun if I were using an Xbox controller instead of my keyboard.

Those of you playing with controllers, is it really that much better? This (and Stranger) might be the only PC games I'd ever use the $45 (might as well do wireless) controller for. Think it's worth it?
If you already have a Dualshock 3, use the MotionInJoy drivers and select the Xbox 360 Controller Emulation. Highly useful :P
SpAM_CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:29 AM   #8
Red Exodus

I think anyone buying ports should have a controller, if not a 360 controller. These days every port supports the 360 controller out of the box, very useful for those games that aren't so forgiving with a KB&M.
Red Exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:13 AM   #9
Brandon90

So many PC games support the Xbox360 controller natively, it's probably worth it. I personally have tons of games on steam that i use it for.
Brandon90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 05:13 AM   #10
Zixinus

If you have the budget and play similar platform games (ports or not), then yes.

I personally got the wired version because I have already have enough stuff to watch battery levels for.
Zixinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 05:31 PM   #11
VeritableHero

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpAM_CAN View Post
If you already have a Dualshock 3, use the MotionInJoy drivers and select the Xbox 360 Controller Emulation. Highly useful :P
This was the best news / posting I've seen on this forum since the game came out. It works for me well with no problems. Thank you.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:19 AM   #12
Cherybombar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhennlash View Post
Absolutely, just beat Munch's with the 360 controller, it's worth the purchase.
Once you've got the workaround (menu settings for running) in place, the game controls great. Rumble is accurate to the Xbox version, and this game uses the secondary triggers (a rare feat for PC games).
I'd go for the wireless too.
I got my controller set up and everything, but I can't seem to move with the left thumbstick. Abe will move his body in the direction I point, but will not actually move forward. Its frustrating.

You mentioned a workaround, do you know how to fix this? PC controls suck.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:48 PM   #13
Primal Fear

Select under "Options/Controls/Keyboard Personalize" "Default: Run"
Then it should work, at least this is what I read here in the forum.
Primal Fear is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Oddworld series