Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Old 12-25-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
bamhm182

How long does gifting take?

I really wanted a few of the games from today's sale and I've wanted them for a while, but paypal wouldn't cooperate, so I made an account for my dad, and used his paypal to gift me the games. After I completed the gift, it said the gift was going to be reviewed, and that I'd be notified when the transaction was complete.

How long does it usually take for the transaction to complete?

Do you think for any reason that it'll fail given that the account I just created doesn't have any games for itself and it was just created today?
Old 12-25-2010, 11:37 AM   #2
Ammorth

I gifted myself torchlight this morning (before the sale ended) and still haven't received any confirmation via email, or my gift email. I have a feeling the servers are slowing down from all the Christmas shoppers who now have money to spend.
Ammorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:42 AM   #3
bamhm182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammorth View Post
I gifted myself torchlight this morning (before the sale ended) and still haven't received any confirmation via email, or my gift email. I have a feeling the servers are slowing down from all the Christmas shoppers who now have money to spend.
Well, hopefully the orders go through.... I can't imagine that it'd cancel the order or anything. I mean, the money's all there, everything should be legit for the both of us, so unless Valve doesn't want money(which I've heard has been the case before :P), it should be fine, just taking a while.
bamhm182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:51 AM   #4
Ammorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamhm182 View Post
Well, hopefully the orders go through.... I can't imagine that it'd cancel the order or anything. I mean, the money's all there, everything should be legit for the both of us, so unless Valve doesn't want money(which I've heard has been the case before :P), it should be fine, just taking a while.
The game shows up in my steam client under "manage gifts and guest passes" it just doesn't seem to want to send properly. I will send it via email, it will show that email as the recipient, then after a few minutes go back to "unsent".
Old 12-25-2010, 12:23 PM   #5
Flatliner2d4

I gifted a couple of games here and there, never took more than a minute for the receiver to get them.
Flatliner2d4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:31 PM   #6
DRAGOLIZER

Yeah. Gifting should be really quick. I received a gift in a few minutes.
DRAGOLIZER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:35 PM   #7
bamhm182

@Flatliner@Dragloizer. That's so weird.... I wonder if I should buy a game under my dad's account then? Maybe that'd speed things up. I'm thinking Winterbottom should suffice since it's only $0.49. Might as well try it...

@Ammorth, was the gift the first purchase you made with the account?
Old 12-25-2010, 12:36 PM   #8
Ammorth

I guess it must have been a glitch or something. I sent the gift to one of my other emails and it arrived. I just forwarded that to my friend and its all good now.

@bamhm182, no. I was using the same credit card I have used for all my purchases. I think it was a glitch in the system though, cause it all works now.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:43 PM   #9
bamhm182

Alright, cool... I need to get back on my computer... I'm over at my grandparents' house, and as with most grandparents', they're not gamers and don't have Steam installed. I was just hoping it'd send me an email, and I haven't gotten the email yet.

When I was checking out, I put in to send the games to my normal account's email address. How did you tell Steam to send them?
Old 12-25-2010, 01:01 PM   #10
Ammorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamhm182 View Post
When I was checking out, I put in to send the games to my normal account's email address. How did you tell Steam to send them?
I sent it to what I thought was my steam email (turns out it wasn't) and then tried sending it to that email again (via the steam client gift management). It showed up when I sent it to the same email again.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:35 PM   #11
bamhm182

So, I'm home now. It didn't send me any emails, even though it said it would, but I logged in via the steam client to my "dad's" account and was able to send my account the gifts from there. Got them sitting in my list of games now. ^_^
Old 12-25-2010, 03:16 PM   #12

182.2, same issue here. Can't gift.
182 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion