Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Old 12-27-2010, 08:06 AM   #1
iridescentFUZZ

The great "Hat and cosmetic item removal" script thread.

For a working hat-removal project, go here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...1#post24233177

The scripts are still broken, sorry.

VERY IMPORTANT:
Support this thread in the hopes of future hatlessness: Cryzbl's Items plugin

If you are a server admin, you can try running this:
http://tftrue.redline-utilities.net/
and telling people about it if results are good

The scripts available in this thread will most likely break after every update to TF2. You will need to download the latest version from this thread in that case(Check the date the scripts have been last updated on first)

This thread: Can we have a client CVAR to turn off hats, paint and obnoxious particle effects now?
eventually resulted in the creation of a script that allows a player to tell the game which items they wish to see, and which they do not wish to see.
Essentially, this script visually disables whatever in-game items you tell it to.

Since I've taken upon myself the management of the scripts, I created this thread so Horace wouldn't have to update the OP in the other thread every time the scripts were updated.
Subsequently, I'd like people to limit discussion in this thread to issues, suggestions and queries related to the script. Please use the thread mentioned above to discuss views and opinions on Valve providing us with official implementation of this.

And please, don't bring up the effort you've put into getting your hat, etc. Some people just enjoy the game more without all the visual clutter, and for some running older computers, this gives a decent FPS boost.
Additionally, I'd like people using this script to refrain from commenting negatively on people who do like their hats. Live and let live.

Now, without further ado, the scripts(These will be updated as soon as possible after a TF2 update, in the event that they are broken):
Quote:
SCRIPTS UPDATED ON: 20/5/2011
You'll have to right click on the link and say "Save link as" or something of the sort. Make sure to save the file as items_game.txt

1. Script which disables ALL cosmetic items.
This includes hats, accessories, Polycount hats and particle effects related to cosmetic items.

2. Disables all hats, cosmetic items and particle effects related to cosmetics, but you will still see Polycount hats.

3. All cosmetic items are enabled, but particle effects related to hats will not be seen.

4. A 'fix' for the hatless issue. Basically, if hatless classes bother you too much, this script simply enables all hats for scout, sniper, soldier and engineer.

Once you download any of the above scripts, make sure to rename it to items_game.txt except with the first one which is already correctly named.
You must then navigate to your Steam\steamapps\[username]\team fortress 2\tf folder and create a new folder called scripts if there isn't one there already.
Inside that folder, create a new folder called items if there isn't one, and paste the items_game.txt file inside it.

Start up TF2 and enjoy the hatlessness.
Many thanks to hawkinzzz for a way to turn off paint.

Now, a few things you should know about the scripts.
  • Firstly, this script does not work on sv_pure 2 servers. It will run on sv_pure 1 servers, provided the server admin has not blocked it(which is usually the case)
  • Upon the release of a TF2 update that is related to items and which modifies the original .txt file in your GCFs, this script will be erased from your Steam\steamapps\[username]\team fortress 2\tf\scripts\items folder, and you will need to re-download the latest version.
  • There is a known limitation with the script, which causes Soldiers, Snipers, Engineers and Scouts to appear hatless. Me and a couple of other people experimented with a few things, but nothing worked.
  • Similarly, the Killing Floor Pyro Mask will always be seen in-game, because removing it's player model makes the Pyro appear headless. There is no fix to this as of now.
  • In relation to the two points above, replacing hat models with other hat models does not work which was thought to work in the original thread.
  • Last of all, these scripts are customisable, but since that information does not need to changed with each TF2 update, I have not included it here. You can find it in the thread mentioned right at the top.

Oh, and you might want to subscribe to this thread or bookmark it for ease of access

Last edited by iridescentFUZZ: 08-09-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:07 AM   #2
LotsOfNothing

Valve,
Hats are OP. Nerf them now please.
-the community
LotsOfNothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:08 AM   #3
Dustofsaturn

Will stop a lot of complaining
Dustofsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:09 AM   #4
Hammer Pants

5 starred. I'd download the one for getting rid of unusual effects, but I'm afraid the hatless thing would kinda bother me. Nonetheless, good work there.

Edit: Actually, I should ask: Will disabling just the effects get rid of the default hats?
Hammer Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:10 AM   #5
Protofall2

Bypassing the “Word” Filter I spent a LOT of time to get my all-class unusual, and it's green energy and really not obnoxious.

Last edited by DoubleD: 12-27-2010 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Bypassing the “Word” Filter
Protofall2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:11 AM   #6
Dustofsaturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protofall2 View Post
Bypassing the “Word” Filter I spent a LOT of time to get my all-class unusual, and it's green energy and really not obnoxious.
Some people don't like unusuals. You're not being forced to download it and it doesn't effect anyone else but the user...or that's what i think after this.

Last edited by DoubleD: 12-27-2010 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Bypassing the “Word” Filter
Old 12-27-2010, 08:12 AM   #7
HeadshotHoncho

Quote:
I expect this from several people.

HeadshotHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:13 AM   #8
Protofall2

But what's the point? Why would someone want to remove the prettification of hats unless they're jealous they don't have one themselves?
Old 12-27-2010, 08:14 AM   #9
LotsOfNothing

Hats really ARE op. They make people come here and whine about them, they must be doing some sort of damage.
LotsOfNothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:15 AM   #10
iridescentFUZZ

Quote:
But what's the point? Why would someone want to remove the prettification of hats unless they're jealous they don't have one themselves?
There are a lot of people that liked the way the game looked before hats came out. This script simply caters to such people.

Other people also get a little FPS boost out of this, and that is reason enough to have it here.
iridescentFUZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:15 AM   #11
Dustofsaturn

EDIT: ^
Old 12-27-2010, 08:19 AM   #12
CasualT2

Quote:
Hey, what do you know, I found a killcam picture of you.

http://knowyourmeme.com/system/icons...jpg?1292760577

------------

Also, seeing how I was the guy who made those damn scripts in the first place (Couldn't be screwed updating it), I've PM'd you on how to get the default hats back.

In the end its about choice, don't like choice? Go back to North Korea.

Last edited by DoubleD: 12-27-2010 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Bypassing the “Word” Filter
CasualT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:20 AM   #13
Protofall2

Quote:
Originally Posted by iridescentFUZZ View Post
There are a lot of people that liked the way the game looked before hats came out. This script simply caters to such people.

Other people also get a little FPS boost out of this, and that is reason enough to have it here.
I can understand the FPS boost perspective, but it's not like you see lots of unusuals. I'd say at the EXTREME MOST there's two Unusual owners in a 32-player pug server, and one of them is including me.

As for your first point, while I do agree TF2 had a much simpler, purer, and much more joyous aura to it, not only does it not change the fact this game is evolving but also you cannot change the fact that people will still be incessantly talking about hats in servers.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:39 AM   #14
Froobin

Quote:
translation: I WANT TO SWING MY IN YOUR FACE IN ORDER TO INCREASE MY OWN FEELING OF SELF WORTH, NO MATTER HOW FALSE IT IS AND HOW YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT.

I consider people who have to shove themselves into other people's faces with unwanted superficial items in order to feel a sense of superiority to be shallow, moronic pricks. I don't want to see any of these unusual effects. Who the do you think you are to basically demand that I stare at your stuff.

Last edited by DoubleD: 12-27-2010 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Bypassing the “Word” Filter
Froobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:40 AM   #15
Incarnati0n

Quote:
I can understand the FPS boost perspective, but it's not like you see lots of unusuals. I'd say at the EXTREME MOST there's two Unusual owners in a 32-player pug server, and one of them is including me.

As for your first point, while I do agree TF2 had a much simpler, purer, and much more joyous aura to it, not only does it not change the fact this game is evolving but also you cannot change the fact that people will still be incessantly talking about hats in servers.
>32 player pug

Get out of my internet.

And I don't care if they talk about hats, as long as I don't have to see those obnoxious particle effects
Incarnati0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2