Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2010, 11:58 AM   #1
69Rocket_Joe
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Reputation: 112
Posts: 290
Madden Football?

Anyone think we will see Madden for the PC again...ever??? My last console was a PS2 and I have gravitated to playing all my games on PC. I don't miss the console gaming at all except for the lack of a newer NFL game. Any petitions or anything floating around to get EA to bring us a Madden game?

-Joe
69Rocket_Joe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
Fire2box
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Reputation: 95
Posts: 1,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Rocket_Joe View Post
Anyone think we will see Madden for the PC again...ever??? My last console was a PS2 and I have gravitated to playing all my games on PC. I don't miss the console gaming at all except for the lack of a newer NFL game. Any petitions or anything floating around to get EA to bring us a Madden game?

-Joe
There's people like us that want madden back on the PC since we don't have a good console to play it on. But the sales of Madden on the PC aren't good enough to have them port it and market it, etc for the PC. They might break even or just lose money.

All I got is a PC and Wii, the Wii's madden is a farce. So best option for me will still be the PS2 which blows chunks compared to my PC and the games I've been playing for like 3 years now.
Fire2box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:08 PM   #3
dannytanner
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Reputation: 30
Posts: 308
Madden has been on a downward spiral for many years now. I say stay off my lawn.
dannytanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:12 PM   #4
mrjake2
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Reputation: 3
Posts: 116
I'd love it if Madden came back to the PC, but I doubt it will ever happen. The sports games market specifically has moved pretty far in the direction of consoles; between the shrinking PC market for sports games, targeting five-year-old hardware for consoles on the one hand and newer hardward for pcs on the other, and making control schemes that work well on both platforms, it's probably not worth their time or money.

Still, I'd buy it in a heartbeat if it did. I have a feeling I'm in the minority, though.
mrjake2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:12 PM   #5
dragonrage252
 
Banned
Join Date: Dec 2010
Reputation: 13
Posts: 349
Lol yeah good idea port a game that less than 5%(estimation) of pc gamers will play.. good idea..

Personally I will never ever play a sport game.. much more fun actually playing the sport yourself
dragonrage252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:37 PM   #6
69Rocket_Joe
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Reputation: 112
Posts: 290
I'd be happy if they just made a base game and released yearly roster updates as DLC. That should allow the game to pay for itself if they use the same base year after year. With the ease of using an Xbox 360 controller maybe more PC gamers would bite for it. If nothing else I wish EA would release/sell the PC rights or that the NFL would negotiate the PC rights separate from the console rights.

I liked the Sega 2k series of NFL games back on the Dreamcast and thought they made a pretty decent run at the Madden franchise. I could see another publisher making a decent NFL game for the PC.

I imagine the code for Madden doesn't change all that much from year to year, I could see it as being the biggest return on investment game EA makes. I'd think that could carry over to PC's as well.

-Joe

Last edited by 69Rocket_Joe: 12-27-2010 at 12:40 PM.
69Rocket_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:49 PM   #7
amarutuF
 
Banned
Join Date: Nov 2010
Reputation: 81
Posts: 217
you can get Madden 08 from some ea download site i forgot the actual site.

its eh.

tbh, its exactly the same as the last 2 i played which were 04 and 01.
the same bs always works, and nothing works in certain situations. its kinda boring. as much as theyve had time they havent expanded into some of the obvious things i thought of while playing (that i cant think of now cos i havent loaded it up in a year)

its too bad they dont have competition b/c madden is stale as hell
amarutuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:54 PM   #8
amarutuF
 
Banned
Join Date: Nov 2010
Reputation: 81
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonrage252 View Post
Lol yeah good idea port a game that less than 5%(estimation) of pc gamers will play.. good idea..

Personally I will never ever play a sport game.. much more fun actually playing the sport yourself
im sorry but thats just dumb.

i wont buy the game.. because its more fun getting 22 guys together to play tackle football? lmao

theres about 100 adults in the entire world maybe that do that (that dont play professionally)

so... sports games arent fun because theyre actual games in and of themselves? that makes no sense.

yea, i refuse to play a flight sim, because its more fun to go flying myself irl.

yea, i refuse to play a shooter b/c its more fun to go shoot people irl

yea, i refuse to play a physics game (bad rats, crazy machines etc) because physics are more realistic irl

yea, i refuse to play a racing game b/c its more fun to race irl

lmao i could keep going but those who can see will get the point
amarutuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:05 PM   #9
mrjake2
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Reputation: 3
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Rocket_Joe View Post
I'd be happy if they just made a base game and released yearly roster updates as DLC. That should allow the game to pay for itself if they use the same base year after year.
That would be great for PC gamers, but EA would never do it. For them, sports games are like an annuity - they put out a new version each year at full price that is basically just a roster change with a few new game tweaks (I mean really, how much can you really add to a football game after 15+ years of ongoing development?).

If they started just putting out new rosters for the PC version they would have to come at a reduced price because people would scream if they charged $50 a year just for a new roster. But if they did that, console gamers would scream because the new features in the console version didn't justify the $50 price tag, unlike the PC version which only cost $10 for the year.

So either way, they would be screwed on the deal, and they aren't going to jarate off their console base.
mrjake2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:07 PM   #10
69Rocket_Joe
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Reputation: 112
Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarutuF View Post
you can get Madden 08 from some ea download site i forgot the actual site.

its eh.

tbh, its exactly the same as the last 2 i played which were 04 and 01.
the same bs always works, and nothing works in certain situations. its kinda boring. as much as theyve had time they havent expanded into some of the obvious things i thought of while playing (that i cant think of now cos i havent loaded it up in a year)

its too bad they dont have competition b/c madden is stale as hell
That's why I don't see why EA couldn't just put out a base Madden game and update the roster annually. I agree with competition, I think the Madden games were pushed when Sega was making the 2k series of NFL games. Now they don't have anyone pushing them to make a better game. Even if they took the 2008 game and just updated the rosters I'm sure I'd be happy enough. I think the last one I have is '06 on the PS2.

-Joe
69Rocket_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:10 PM   #11
69Rocket_Joe
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Reputation: 112
Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjake2 View Post
That would be great for PC gamers, but EA would never do it. For them, sports games are like an annuity - they put out a new version each year at full price that is basically just a roster change with a few new game tweaks (I mean really, how much can you really add to a football game after 15+ years of ongoing development?).

If they started just putting out new rosters for the PC version they would have to come at a reduced price because people would scream if they charged $50 a year just for a new roster. But if they did that, console gamers would scream because the new features in the console version didn't justify the $50 price tag, unlike the PC version which only cost $10 for the year.

So either way, they would be screwed on the deal, and they aren't going to jarate off their console base.
That is true I suppose. Although with the modern console systems they could do the same for them. I wonder if they would make more money just selling updated rosters once the base game is out there. I agree with you not much you can add to a football game. Just update rosters and rules, the player career thing was kinda fresh about 5 years ago when they implemented that.

-Joe
69Rocket_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:14 PM   #12
mrjake2
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Reputation: 3
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Rocket_Joe View Post
That is true I suppose. Although with the modern console systems they could do the same for them. I wonder if they would make more money just selling updated rosters once the base game is out there.
Probably not. They make a ton of money each year on their sports titles. It's one of the main things that has kept EA going. People seem happy to pay $50 each year for the new WhateverSport 2011, so EA is likely to keep offering it that way until the well dries up.

Quote:
I agree with you not much you can add to a football game. Just update rosters and rules, the player career thing was kinda fresh about 5 years ago when they implemented that.
Yeah - I've thought it would be interesting if they added in more sim elements outside of managing your players (like your stadium, finances, etc.), but then it would be a completely different game more akin to Football Manager.
mrjake2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:05 PM   #13
amarutuF
 
Banned
Join Date: Nov 2010
Reputation: 81
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Rocket_Joe View Post
That's why I don't see why EA couldn't just put out a base Madden game and update the roster annually. I agree with competition, I think the Madden games were pushed when Sega was making the 2k series of NFL games. Now they don't have anyone pushing them to make a better game. Even if they took the 2008 game and just updated the rosters I'm sure I'd be happy enough. I think the last one I have is '06 on the PS2.

-Joe
well of course they could. the government could also stop collecting taxes.. its like asking the same thing. theyve been getting the money year after year, so why would they initiate action that would reduce their revenue.

its unfortunate, and they are a really bad company, they should be resented for abusign their consumer base as such. but believe me they dont care.

incidentally, im warming up to 2k sports, which has always made good titles, and i recently bought the mlb game for 2 bucks, and it connects to the internet and you can play with current-day rosters whenever you want. that sounds like a good company thats not trying to rip you off
amarutuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.