Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Publisher & Developer Discussions > PlayFirst

Old 12-27-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
Gritsnbacon

DO NOT BUY Chessmaster Challenge

This game is a fluke in the series. It will only play in a very tiny screen, the boards suck, and there is no teaching to make you better- just for beginners to learn the game. I bought it because of the price thinking I was getting a Chessmaster game, but it is not. Chess Titans, which comes free with Windows 7 is a much much better game for free. Wasted $2.50.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:33 AM   #2
Ganger

I wish I read this thread before buying this rubbish I just bought it about 15 minutes ago for £1.87 (thinking it was some top chess game), how wrong was I.

Gritsnbacon is right, Chess Titans is just 100% better and it comes free with Window. P.S I got Chess Titans on Vista btw.

Only thing this game is good for is building up your Steam rating when surfing the web.
Ganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:16 AM   #3
General I.D.

this is a crap version of Chessmaster X, which is pretty good, unfortunately Steam doesn't sell that one
General I.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:59 PM   #4
Ganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by General I.D. View Post
this is a crap version of Chessmaster X, which is pretty good, unfortunately Steam doesn't sell that one
Crap isn't the word man why on earth did I not check youtube first. I love a good game of chess but this game doesn't love chess.
Ganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:24 PM   #5
Jack2go

Quote:
Originally Posted by General I.D. View Post
I was curious about this game.
I thought this was a sequel to Chessmaster Grandmaster Challenge, but it looks like a stripped down version of Chessmaster X which i already have.
Jack2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
Kitsune Sniper

Bump for daily deal.

I guess I'll avoid the game then.
Kitsune Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:10 AM   #7
spoaller

Banned
Thanks! No buy then.
spoaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:11 AM   #8
Craig234

Ya, looks like good info to avoid buying.
Craig234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #9
Picchia

I kind of agree. This game is a joke compared to, well, any other chess(master) game. The claimed features, such as "Learn & improve your chess game at every level." are simply not present, while other chess(master) games do have these features.
Picchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #10
captain_video

Steam was selling Chessmaster: Grandmaster Edition for $10 (published by Ubisoft), but has apparently taken it off the store, dunno why. You can get the GM edition on DVD for $5 or thereabouts if you shop around online. Even the tutorial for brand-new players is infinitely better in the GM edition than what this stripped-down version has. Avoid this at all costs.
captain_video is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:13 AM   #11
blondie

It was just the other day I did a search for chess games on Steam, and didn't find any! Glad I saw this thread though.

On a similar note, I just moved from FireFox to give Chrome a try. And it appears that there are chess games playable directly in the browser (from the Chrome App store), and they look better than this!
blondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:41 AM   #12
Dreadjaws

Wow, I'm glad I saw this thread. I was thinking of buying it, but I decided to check the forums first. Usually within any game's forums there are divided opinions, yet for this one everyone seems to agree it's not a good game. Money saved!
Dreadjaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:48 AM   #13
ZimbuTheMonkey

Fritz > Chessmaster
ZimbuTheMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:09 PM   #14
Insomnia80

lucky me, saw the tread before buying it for 3,06€

thanks for the information and +rep
Insomnia80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:26 PM   #15
Cpl Hawkins

Yeah unfortunately I do have to agree with a lot of others saying to pass on this one title.

If you wanted to get a good chess game, and I don't know enough about all the ones out there to be able to compare them, but I have the CM 10th Edition that I bought a long time ago and it is a really great chess program.

Though the price is really good on this with the sale, I would say spend a little more if you wanted to get a chessmaster game title off of like amazon or something like that.

Here's some info I found out about this game from Ubi, so you could maybe make a more informed choice:

"Ubisoft licensed its award-winning Chessmaster game engine to PlayFirst, a leading publisher of popular games targeted at the mass market through all online consumer platforms. PlayFirst developed a downloadable version of Chessmaster, called Chessmaster Challenge, with the goal of taking the intimidation factor out of chess. Perfect for chess beginners and casual chess fans, Chessmaster Challenge differs from Chessmaster 10th Edition in its simplified interface, and scaled-down tutorials. It’s a non-retail product available for trial and purchase through download only."

Like I said previously, if you are serious about wanting to get a really good chess program get one of the CM titles.
Cpl Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Publisher & Developer Discussions > PlayFirst