Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 12-28-2010, 10:17 AM   #1
timothy29111987

Exclamation Steam + game desktop icons problem

Hi, I'm having a problem with the Steam desktop icon and all my game desktop icons. All my other desktop icons (e.g. iTunes) are fine.

The icons appear in the Start Menu absolutely fine, but when I drag these links to the desktop to create shorcuts, only a couple are transferred successfully (e.g. Portal), whilst others (e.g. HL2: Lost Coast) display the icon you get when the shortcut is missing or blank icons. The shortcuts work; it's the icons that don't appear.

I tried selecting the relevants icons from the 'games' folder within the 'steam' folder, but when I click Apply and then OK it doesn't want to switch!

I also tried creating desktop shortcuts from the library within Steam application; none of the shortcuts display an icon.

This all started when I uninstalled a non-Steam game that I had placed within a 'Games' folder (the same folder that Steam was installed to). The actual folder was a mounted logical drive partition I created. All my game desktop shortcuts lost their icons and the file paths became invalid. I had to remount the disk partition in a new 'Games' folder I created within 'Program Files (x86)'. Steam and all my games started working again, but alas the desktop icons do not appear.

Could someone walk me through step-by-step of what I need to do to restore these icons? I have heard of rebooting icon cache, but will this affect my non-game applications? I'm really no computer expert and I don't want to mess my computer up!

Thanks

Last edited by timothy29111987: 12-28-2010 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-28-2010, 10:35 AM   #2
-Oc-Bort

You can always create your own shortcuts and assign them an icon. It's a bit of work if you have a lot of links to make. Maybe someone would have a better idea then mine but this should work.

Method 1

1. Right-click an open area on the desktop, point to New, and then click Shortcut.
(In windows XP the New Shortcut link is at the top of the right click menu, not under the New folder)
2. Click Browse.
3. Locate the program or file to which you want to create a shortcut, click on the programs executable file (exe), click Open, and then click Next.
4. Type a name for the shortcut. If a Finish button appears at the bottom of the dialog box, click it. If a Next button appears at the bottom of the dialog box, click it, click the icon you want to use for the shortcut, and then click Finish.

Method 2

1. Click Start, point to Programs, and then right-click the program you want to create the shortcut to.
2. Click Create Shortcut.
3. The shortcut is now at the end of the Programs list. For example, if you created a shortcut to Microsoft Word, to find that program, click Start, and then point to Programs. You will find the shortcut, named "Microsoft Word (2)" (without the quotation marks), at the bottom of the Program list.
4. Drag the shortcut to the Desktop.

After the shortcuts are made you can right click on them, go to Properties, and click on the Change Icon button in the ShortCut tab. Click the Browse button on the next screen and navigate to the program's folder. There's usually a .ico file in each root folder for each game for you to choose.

If you can't tell which icons are which because you can't see file extensions? :

Open My Computer and go to Tools > Folder Options then select the View Tab.
UNcheck Hide Known File Types and Hide System Files
Apply, Ok...and you should be set.
-Oc-Bort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:58 AM   #3
timothy29111987

Thanks, I might give this a go.

I noticed there are two Half Life 2 icons. Which ones apply to HL2, HL2: Lost Coast, HL2: Ep1, HL2: Ep2? Or does it not really matter?
timothy29111987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:14 AM   #4
-Oc-Bort

Check the properties on the shortcuts that do work in your start menu. Copy the URL line from them and paste it into the new shortcut target or URL line.

the shortcuts should be something like this:
steam://rungameid/#######

All of the exe's, for most of the games I have anyway which are HL2 mods, have the same "hl2.exe". I couldn't tell you how all that works..so get the target for the properties window from the shortcuts that work...or use method 2.

Last edited by -Oc-Bort: 12-28-2010 at 11:16 AM.
-Oc-Bort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:48 AM   #5
timothy29111987

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Oc-Bort View Post
Check the properties on the shortcuts that do work in your start menu. Copy the URL line from them and paste it into the new shortcut target or URL line.

the shortcuts should be something like this:
steam://rungameid/#######

All of the exe's, for most of the games I have anyway which are HL2 mods, have the same "hl2.exe". I couldn't tell you how all that works..so get the target for the properties window from the shortcuts that work...or use method 2.
That makes sense, but how do I find the game id numbers for HL2 episodes 1 and 2 and Lost Coast, and UT3 (which is almost finished downloading)? My Steam icon now working (method 2 was what I was doing originally, but for some reason only now has the Steam icon begun to behave!). Just some of the HL2 sequels have problems.

Ah I think I have found them in 'userdata' folder. Now to figure out which is which!

Last edited by timothy29111987: 12-28-2010 at 11:57 AM. Reason: New info
Old 12-28-2010, 12:06 PM   #6
timothy29111987

Thanks -Oc-Bort; I've fixed all the other icons except for UT3, which will probably work once I have finished downloading it (any minute now!).

Great tips; cheers!

Last edited by timothy29111987: 12-28-2010 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Credit
Old 03-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #7
judgementryu

i just found that pretty much every game has a file in the folders somewhere called Icon or something alike, these are bitmap files. These are the icons that should always Automaticly be used. Tho either windows or steam shortcut system fails to do so.
judgementryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
TeKraken

I downloaded some shiney ones:

http://customize.org/icons/50443
TeKraken is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips