Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Neverwinter Nights 2

Old 12-29-2010, 09:29 AM   #1
kefka95

how to get NWN2 character editor working with Steam version?

Has anyone tried to use the NWN2 character editor with the Steam version of the game yet? This is the one I'm referring to:

http://sites.google.com/site/ronswor...Utilities/nwn2

The readme mentions something about setting the install directory via the following Java command:

javaw -DNWN2.install.path=<installpath> -jar NWN2Editor.jar

I'm a bit clueless when it comes to Java, and I'm not sure how this is supposed to work. I tried using this command in the Windows "Run" dialog, but it just beeps at me.

Does anyone know how to go about making this work?
Old 12-29-2010, 12:08 PM   #2
NWN DM

Well, from the readme:

Installation:
-------------

To install this utility, extract all of the files from the zip file and place them in a directory of your choice. Then update the shortcut (NWN2Editor.lnk) and set the Start Directory to the directory where you stored the files.

The Sun Java 1.6 runtime is required. You can download the latest Java runtime environment from http://java.com/download/index.jsp. If you are unsure what version of Java is installed on your system, open a command prompt window and enter "java -version". You can also get the Java version by opening the Control Panel and selecting Java.

The game install directory is located by scanning the Windows registry. If this scan fails or if the game files are located in a different directory, you can specify the game install directory when starting the editor. This is done by specifying -DNWN2.install.path="<path>" on the java command line where <path> is the directory containing dialog.tlk. For example, if the game files are located in C:\Games\Neverwinter Nights 2,

javaw -DNWN2.install.path="C:\Games\Neverwinter Nights 2" -jar NWN2Editor.jar

Don't forget to put double quotes around the path name.

The game data directory is assumed to be "Neverwinter Nights 2" in the user documents folder ("My Documents" on an English-language system). If the save games and custom content are located in another directory, you can specify the game data directory when starting the editor. This is done by specifying -DNWN2.data.path="<path>" on the java command line where <path> is directory containing the custom content. For example, if the user login is "Ronald Hoffman", the normal game data directory would be "C:\Documents and Settings\Ronald Hoffman\My Documents\Neverwinter Nights 2".

The Java runtime will sometimes throws a null pointer exception when adding the shell folders to the file chooser dialog (JFileChooser). If this happens, you can disable the shell folders by specifying -DUseShellFolder=0 on the java command line.

The author includes an email address as well.
NWN DM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:31 PM   #3
FizzyX

or you can just try installing it by going to your library, then go to tools, and it should be in there. right click, download it, then go to the nwn2 folder in your steamapps and open up the NWN2ToolsetLauncher.exe that's what i did at least.

Edit: oh crap, sorry, just noticed you said character editor... i feel stupid. ignore me
Old 12-29-2010, 12:53 PM   #4
kefka95

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWN DM View Post
Well, from the readme:

Installation:
-------------
As I indicated in the OP, I have already looked at the installation instructions. My question was regarding a specific part of the process.

I'll go ahead and try emailing the author; I just thought I would try here first since a number of people will likely have the same issue now that the Steam version of the game has been released.
kefka95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:16 PM   #5
kefka95

I contacted the author of the editor, and he was kind enough to send me a quick reply that helped me to get it working.

For future reference, there is a shortcut that's packaged in the zip file along with the editor. To change the installation directory, right-click on the shortcut and go to Properties. The "Target" field is where you want to add the parameters for the installation directory. This is what my Target field looks like after making the change:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\javaw.exe -Xmx256m -DNWN2.install.path="E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\commo n\neverwinter nights 2" -jar NWN2Editor.jar

Just an FYI for those who are interested!
kefka95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:14 PM   #6
festro

Thumbs up a little addition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kefka95 View Post
I contacted the author of the editor, and he was kind enough to send me a quick reply that helped me to get it working.

For future reference, there is a shortcut that's packaged in the zip file along with the editor. To change the installation directory, right-click on the shortcut and go to Properties. The "Target" field is where you want to add the parameters for the installation directory. This is what my Target field looks like after making the change:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\javaw.exe -Xmx256m -DNWN2.install.path="E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\commo n\neverwinter nights 2" -jar NWN2Editor.jar

Just an FYI for those who are interested!
also theres a box below the target that says start in. input your editors Directory in there or it wont start
Old 01-02-2011, 08:18 AM   #7
veespike

One other edit you might have to make. If you are running a 64-bit OS, you will have to change the location of the javaw.exe file in the shortcut.

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\javaw.exe -DNWN2.install.path="E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\neverwinter nights 2" -jar NWN2Editor.jar

It works fine once you get the shortcut setup properly.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:29 PM   #8
Grifta

I couldn't get this working for whatever reason. By using this...
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view...s.detail&id=15
I performed a race change "by hand". It's a lot of fiddly work, but it's much quicker than restarting if you couldn't get the editor working.
Grifta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:12 AM   #9
velvetmeds

Banned
I am unable to get it to work. i get the following error:

http://img855.imageshack.us/i/42359393.jpg/ (O dispositivo nao esta preparado = the device is not ready in portuguese.

This, after following the inscructions of this thread regarding the shortcut

edit: ok it works now. but it doesn't let you respec the levels? i got 6 wizard and 2 pale master, wanted different

Last edited by velvetmeds: 04-02-2011 at 10:50 AM.
velvetmeds is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Neverwinter Nights 2