Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Super Meat Boy

Old 12-29-2010, 11:11 AM   #1
jazztickets

Needs a few extra hotkeys / GUI improvements

Is there anyway to reset the level besides dying? How about switching to the next/previous level without having to go back to the map?

This would make beating your friends' highscores a lot less chorelike.

Also, I wished the game showed your best time during the game and/or during the replay.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
hugoroys

nope, sorry

and for the later, I do too

edit: it actually does show your best time in the game.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:47 PM   #3
jazztickets

It only shows your best time on the map screen.

Basically, they should mimic the interface of X-Moto.
jazztickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:23 PM   #4
roboticaust

Reset the level by switching characters. Even if you switch it to the one you are using. Other than that, suck it up. The only thing I wish the game would utilize (because I know it exists in the programming) is the ability to replay your fastest attempt while you are in the level. Sorta like Mario Kart's ghosting function. I know it exists because it's what drives the mass replay function and boss fights like Brownie and Dr Fetus. It wouldn't overload the save to store just the successful fastest level clear either. I personally would love to be able to race against myself and visually see where I can improve. The only other "improvements" that come to mind but aren't really that high on the need list is a way to auto-run on characters that have a run ability, and dark world bosses. All that goes without saying though, so I'm not sure why I included it >.>
roboticaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:06 PM   #5
jazztickets

Quote:
Reset the level by switching characters.
No thanks. I want a hotkey.

You're certainly asking a lot more than just simply displaying some text and adding a hotkey for reseting the level.
jazztickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:12 PM   #6
Xenesis

Apparently it was a conscious design decision.

Team Meat commented they avoided such a button so people wouldn't accidentally press it during hard levels.

Besides, I can't think of one level where you can't kill yourself in about the same time it'd take to push a restart level button or complete said level.
Xenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:12 PM   #7
roboticaust

Get a keyboard with programmable macros then if you want a single-press key to abuse.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:12 PM   #8
HateTheDrake

Doubt the hotkey stuff will happen, but showing your fastest time and current time without sitting through the reply would be cool.
HateTheDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:41 AM   #9
reisub

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboticaust View Post
The only thing I wish the game would utilize (because I know it exists in the programming) is the ability to replay your fastest attempt while you are in the level. Sorta like Mario Kart's ghosting function...
+1. That would be awesome. Maybe you could import other peoples ghosts as well, so you can see how others do it.
reisub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:01 AM   #10
roboticaust

Well the replay just overlays up to a specific amount (I think it's currently at 50, but I'm not 100% sure about the actual number). But regardless, it still records those fairly accurately without them causing the terrain to break or grabbing keys. Although they are set to clear the level currently which could be utilized as well. So if you are running in "time mode" or whatever you wanna call it, if you don't beat your time, it could force restart the level.

There are 250 levels that are not warps, glitches, character unlocks or bosses. So assuming that 50 count is accurate, that's approximately like tacking on 5 replays onto the current save file; which really isn't all that bad. I also know the game has functionality to replay them while you are playing since Dr. Fetus and Brownie both were recorded plays that get played out while you're in their stage.

The only problem I foresee with this is the fact that the replays do indeed vary ever so slightly from the actual due to minor frame rate issues. Even on beastly computers, the replay timer is still off by a millisecond or two. However, people playing the game without vsync would ultimately be ing that the timer mode was 'broken' for them due to the 'ghost' going too fast or too slow on their end... same as they do for Dr. F and Brownie.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Super Meat Boy