Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dead Space series

Old 12-29-2010, 04:20 PM   #1
dreamstation

Console port?

I've been wanting to play Dead Space for a while but was looking at grabbing it on the PS3. But now that it's on sale on Steam it seems logical to get it for the PC. But...

Is Dead Space just a console port or has it been optimized for PC and does it play well with a keyboard/mouse? Not trying to start an argument on consoles vs PC but if it's better to play on the PS3 I will hold off on the PC version.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:22 PM   #2
SharpneL

very well optimized, I was shocked to even know it was a port. I really did not even think it was from the xbox until a friend asked me if it was a junk port or not when he saw me playing it.

The graphics from the screen shots do not even do it justice. It looks really great and runs very smooth with its soundtrack. a STEAL for a little under $7 compared to other games being sold today -cough- Kane&Lynch -cough-
SharpneL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:29 PM   #3
f0d

its a full console port

i could tell as soon as i started playing - the FOV is horrible and the controls are clunky

i bought it last year in the sale thinking it would be a good game (diddnt even know it was on a console at the time) started playing it and from the start there are problems and you can notice right away it was a console port

out of all the games i have (about 100) its the worst one i have
Old 12-29-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
AlHudsonFX

Banned
In general Dead Space is a console port.

The question is what kind of console port?
Since my point of view is a good one (not excellent)

Is not 100% compatible with NVIDIA 3d but is playable, correct 5.1 sound usage (not impressive such as Battlefield BC2, Doom 3 or Medal of Honor but is OK), supports Gamepad and K&M (be aware than Visceral Games tried to use a different approach so doesn't feel like the standard mouse camera control, but after a few hours you feel comfortable using it).

Is worth it??? SURE!!! I think that is worth it in $40 bucks so in $10 is a bargain.

I played around 3 times the whole game. At the beginning is scary after a few hours start to be pure action. (Something good).

The story is cool and the space horror theme is impressive.

About the incorrect FOV I only noticed on the loading screen, I played in a widescreen LCD monitor

Last edited by AlHudsonFX: 12-29-2010 at 04:46 PM.
AlHudsonFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:14 PM   #5
Blugga

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlHudsonFX View Post
The question is what kind of console port?
Since my point of view is a good one (not excellent)
Quoted for truth.

The only "portiness" I noticed was in the mouse controls. Turning off v sync helps if you notice any sluggish-ness.

Also your turning speed is capped, but seriously, you're a dude in a hulking suit of armour with giant clunky boots. If you could instantly do a 180 it would look kinda dumb as well as detract from the tension.

Dead Space is a great game, do yourself a favour and pick it up
Blugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:20 PM   #6
Psycho101

It's definitely a port. Although it's well optimized ther has been no effort whatsoever to retro-fir any type of Anti-Aliasing other than a nasty half-pixel-offset blur filter, which really doesn't help. Walls crawling in horror games is usually a good thing, but when they're crawling because of a lack off AA it looks pretty aweful IMO.

Having said that, if you don't mind a lack of aa or you're playing on a small(ish) high res pannel (and therefore have a very small pixel pitch, eg a 19" 1920x1080) you'll be fine. I played through on regular and kind of got used to it. I'm replaying on Impossible at the minute using downscaling, which envolves setting up a custom res (in my case 3360x2100) which the game is natively rendered in, then having it scaled to my native pannel res of 1680x1050, effectively quadrupling the pixel count.

Directions on how to do this are here: http://translate.google.com/translat...p%3Ft%3D454129

The results can be seen here: http://translate.googleusercontent.c...PmbTUmNfyUqkOg

The aliasing doesn't seem too bad in still images but in motion it is pretty nasty in places. PS3 will be the same BTW, it also has no AA. Even with your card though, you should manage performance that will soundly beat the PS3, plus playing in a higher res will really help, even without downscaling.
Psycho101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:51 PM   #7
thepassengersep

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I did want to say +Rep to both AlHudsonFX & Psycho101 for their honest and informative opinions on the game.

So much better than the standard, "IT SUCKS!!!!" or "Just buy it NOW", that I have seen on so many of these forums. Well, my reservations have been addressed and now I'm sold.

Thanks you two. Purchasing now....
thepassengersep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:45 PM   #8
Ohlalala

Banned
most important: turn off in game V-sync since it will cap 30 fps and the sloppy mouse will kill the gameplay.
Force v-sync via your vga control panel.
Ohlalala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:32 AM   #9
Triptrippen

Quote:
Originally Posted by f0d View Post
its a full console port

i could tell as soon as i started playing - the FOV is horrible and the controls are clunky

i bought it last year in the sale thinking it would be a good game (diddnt even know it was on a console at the time) started playing it and from the start there are problems and you can notice right away it was a console port

out of all the games i have (about 100) its the worst one i have
I wouldn't consider a game that is missing elements on the PC version to be a "full" port, its missing some stuff its console version had... feel kinda ripped off here

edit: but I shouldn't complain , good deal for the price...
Triptrippen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:01 PM   #10
king_of_sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpneL View Post
very well optimized, I was shocked to even know it was a port. I really did not even think it was from the xbox until a friend asked me if it was a junk port or not when he saw me playing it.

The graphics from the screen shots do not even do it justice. It looks really great and runs very smooth with its soundtrack. a STEAL for a little under $7 compared to other games being sold today -cough- Kane&Lynch -cough-
Dead Space is a PS3 port not an xbox prot.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dead Space series