Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Neverwinter Nights 2

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 12-29-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
Freyar

Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum FAQ

**THIS FAQ IS A WORK-IN-PROGRESS**

This is a general purpose FAQ for the Steam re-release of Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum.

Updates made when possible/needed. (PM if you have urgent information.)
(Layout stolen from Wally3K)

--------
GENERAL

Q. What Operating Systems will Neverwinter Nights 2 work for?

• Minimum:
    • Processor: Intel Pentium® 4 2.0 GHz, AMD Athlon™ XP 2000
    • Memory: 512 MB RAM
    • Graphics: 128 MB Video RAM/Shader Model 2.0 compatible
    • DirectX®: DirectX® 9.0c
    • Hard Drive: 5.5 GB space free
    • Sound: Windows® XP compatible
    • Other Requirements: LAN (TCP/IP) or Broadband Internet connection

• Recommended:
    • Processor: Intel Pentium® 4 3.0 GHz, AMD Athlon™ 64
    • Memory: 1 GB RAM
    • Graphics: 256 MB Video RAM/Shader Model 3.0 compatible
    • DirectX®: DirectX® 9.0c
    • Hard Drive: 5.5 GB space free
    • Sound: Windows® XP compatible
    • Other Requirements: LAN (TCP/IP) or Broadband Internet connection
Neverwinter Nights works just as well as well on Windows 7 (Either 32-bit or 64-bit Operating Systems) as it does with Windows XP.

Q. What is Neverwinter Nights 2?

Neverwinter Nights 2 is a sequel to the popular D&D-based Neverwinter Nights. Neverwinter Nights 2 uses a modified Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 ruleset in order to represent an interactive version of the Pen-and-Paper game.

Neverwinter Nights 2 features full character creation along with classes belonging to the realm of Neverwinter itself. Multiplayer is robust with the Neverwinter Nights 2 Toolkit (referenced as a "Map Editor" by Steam), and improved content distribution.

Q. What does the Steam version of Neverwinter Nights 2 provide?

Neverwinter Nights 2 on Steam comes with the core game, Mask of the Betrayer, and Storm of Zehir all in one neat little package.
It does not include Mysteries of Westgate, but it is available through Atari's Store.

Q. Can I register another copy of Neverwinter Nights 2 that I bought either in a store or from another distributor on Steam?

No, only games listed here can be registered on Steam.

Q. Where is the Neverwinter Nights 2 Toolset?

The Neverwinter Nights 2 Toolset is actually listed as the Neverwinter Nights 2 - Platinum Map Editor. You can find this under your tools in the library.

Last edited by Freyar: 01-04-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
Freyar

TECHNICAL

Q. The game seems to crash, or refuses to start!

First and foremost, take a quick breath. Crashes and the like are frustrating, but this is the PC world we live in. First and foremost there are some extremely basic steps to look through.

After those are done, some people have recommended rebooting in an effort to make sure shared libraries are freed up.

Q. My anti-virus software is picking up an infection from Neverwinter Nights 2, am I infected?

No. If you look closely, the report should show something like "TR/Unpacked.Gen" (the name may change based on your security software) which is a false positive. Some of the encryption Steam uses to secure its' games trips heuristic anti-virus scans. You can either restore Neverwinter Nights 2 in your security software, or verify the download to get it again. You may need to set up an exception so that your security software will not quarantine it again.

Q. Steam keeps saying the game is "Unavailable".

First, read this support article.

If that doesn't change anything, it could also be your anti-virus quarantining Neverwinter Nights 2 like above. If so, you will need to add an exception for Neverwinter Nights 2. Refer to your Anti-Virus provider for specific instructions.

Q. I don't have that much disk space on C:\, can I put new or downloaded modules on another disk?

Right-click on Neverwinter Nights 2, select properties, and select "Set Launch Options". In the box type
Code:
-home "The location You Want to Save to"
and click okay. Make sure that you don't have any spaces in your location.

Keep in mind that if you do this AFTER having run Neverwinter Nights 2, you will probably want to copy your content from "My Documents/Neverwinter Nights 2" (WinXP) or "C:\Users\**USERNAME**\Documents\Neverwinter Nights 2" (Win7/Vista[?]) to the new folder.

Q. My character seems to stutter while moving, which also causes the camera to stutter when in character mode.

A timing issue with Neverwinter Nights 2 can result in this problem depending on whether or not your computer has been running an extended amount of time. Timing is based off of a counter that the system provides, but it tends to get too big after a day.

The easiest solution is to restart your computer, however you can also use the Client Extender written by Skywing. As of version 1.0.0.19 the Client Extender will work properly with Steam. Simply use the Launcher, and it will do everything appropriately. If you intend to use the launcher rather than the manual method, DO NOT LAUNCH NWN2 BEFORE YOU USE THE CLIENT EXTENDER LAUNCHER.

Q. There seems to be some sort of problem with the textures, muddy, missing, or just out-of-place textures are frequent.

This has been identified to be a driver problem and has reportedly been fixed with the latest. Make sure you are running with the latest drivers available. If that fails, verify your NWN2 cache by right-clicking it in the Library, clicking Properties, and verify the content.

Q. My game tends to stutter pretty badly in general. My computer is okay, but not great.

Shadows and shadow details can cause problems. Turn down the detail to minimum and see if that helps. If it is better, slowly up the details until you can find a balance of quality versus performance. On the off-chance, you might want to double-check your drivers as well.

Q. When I try to play online, I am told my keys are not registered, and I should go to Atari.com/Support. What should I do?

Go to your Neverwinter Nights 2 folder in your documents.
Look for a file named nwn2cdkey.ini and open it.
If there are no keys written to the lines Key1, Key2, and Key3, get your keys from your Steam Library by Right-Clicking Neverwinter Nights 2, and selecting View Game CD Key. The first key goes into Key1, the second key to Key2, and the last one to Key3. Save it, and try again.

You will need to enter the keys in the following format:
XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

If you use the -HOME command line option, your nwn2cdkey.ini will be in the folder you specified in the -home option.

Default Locations
Windows XP
\My Documents\Neverwinter Nights 2

Windows Vista/7
C:\Users\**USERNAME**\Documents\Neverwinter Nights 2

Last edited by Freyar: 01-04-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Freyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
Freyar

GAMEPLAY

Q. What is Neverwinter Nights 2's ruleset based off of?

Neverwinter Nights 2 is based off of a modified version of Dungeons & Dragons 3.5; The ruleset itself has been modified for better use in a PC environment and while a good understanding of the 3.5 ruleset will help immensely, there are some differences to keep in mind.

If you really want the specifics, you can always pick up a Player's Handbook, to which would also help prepare you for a Pen-and-Paper game if you ever end up with one. Keep in mind that the latest release is the 4th Edition set and does not apply to Neverwinter Nights 2.

Q. What kind of character should I roll?

To be quite fair? Any character you want to play. You get a good opportunity to round out your party as you adventure, so there is no real need to stick to playing a Fighter (even if that's what the game would recommend). The thing to keep in mind is that you are taking a character and pitting him or her against what is coming up in the Neverwinter Nights 2 campaign.

Q. Stop being a smart[expletive] and answer the question.

For newer players I would recommend a fighter or some other high-constitution or armor-class.. class. This should help keep your character alive on his or her own a bit better, reducing dependency on micromanaging him or her specifically.

Keep in mind that during the game you aren't controlling just one character, you are in fact controlling the entire party, and using them together is what makes your character successful.

Q. What do the different stats mean on the character sheet?

• Strength
    • Important for Fighters, Barbarians, Paladins, Rangers, and Monks.
      • Used to determine carry weight (which in turn determines how easily the character is encumbered.)
      • Determines modifiers to hit with melee weapons.* (This can be determined by Dexterity if a proper "feat" is selected.)
      • Determines modifiers applied to damage given with melee weapons.
      • Used to determine successes for climbing, jumping and swimming as well as breaking down doors or forcing locks open.
  • Dexterity
    • Extremely important for Rogues.
    • Important for Rangers, Barbarians, and Monks.
    • Good idea for Wizards and Sorcerers.
      • Used to determine modifiers to hit with ranged weapons. (Bows, Crossbows, etc.)
      • Can improve Armor Class.
      • Used to determine modifiers to Reflex saving throws.
      • Used to determine successes for Hide, Move Silently, Open Lock, Sleight of Hand, Tumble and other dexterity-based skills.
  • Constitution
    • Important to all classes, Fighters moreso.
      • Affects the amount of hit-points earned when gaining a level.
        • Easier difficulties in Neverwinter Nights 2 ensure your party always rolls the "maximum" amount of hit-points you can gain when leveling up.
      • Used to determine modifiers to Fortitude saving throws.
      • Used to determine successes for spell Concentration checks.
        • A spellcaster in combat must make a concentration check when being distracted by combat or otherwise, else the spell will fail.
  • Intelligence
    • Important for Wizards
      • Affects the number of skill points gained each time a character levels up.
      • Determines successes for Appraise, Disable Device, Search, and others.
      • Wizards gain bonus spells based on their Intelligence.
  • Wisdom
    • Important for Clerics, Druids, Paladins, and Rangers.
      • Affects Will saving throws.
      • Determines successes for Heal, Spot, and other skills.
      • Clerics, Druids, Paladins, and Rangers gain bonus spells based on Wisdom.
  • Charisma
    • Important for Paladins, Sorcerers, Bards, and Clerics.
      • Determines successes for skills like Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Perform, and Use Magic Device.
      • Affects checks that involve trying to manipulate others.
      • Affects Cleric and Paladin attempts to Turn Undead.
      • Sorcerers and Bards gain extra spells based on their Charisma.

Q. What were those "saving throws" you talked about before?

Saving Throws are challenges to your character to resist or react to a particular situation.
  • Reflex Saving Throws (which are modified by Dexterity) determine if you can get away from, or reduce the amount of damage you take from traps and certain spells.
  • Will Saving Throws (which are modified by Wisdom) determine if you can reduce the amount of damage, or the effect of magical spells.
  • Fortitude Saving Throws (which are modified by Constitution) determine if you can resist or endure physical damage against your health. (Examples are Poison, Gas, or other similar attacks.)

Last edited by Freyar: 01-02-2011 at 12:04 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:54 PM   #4
Freyar

**RESERVED**
Old 12-29-2010, 09:16 PM   #5
ACIDFAN

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...9-9A8D7548C1B6

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...3-D6ACABD5D13B

2008/2005 C++ for 64 bit users

downloading now, hope it stops these freezes.

http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page knowledge base

Last edited by ACIDFAN: 12-29-2010 at 09:23 PM.
ACIDFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:39 AM   #6
TheLetterD

Bought this game a few days ago via Steam for Win 7 and was having a problem where trying to load a new location after hitting the travel map would cause the entire client to crash with no real warning message beyond letting me know the client needed to be shut down. Tried updating all the previously mentioned files with no effect.

A friend of mine came up with an absolutely strange idea which ended up actually working, much to both of our confusion.

Change the Steam App itself to run compatibility mode for Vista SP2. Have had zero problems with NWN2 since. Don't know if this will work for other people or not, since the game releasing through Steam is so recent and I havn't seen anyone else have the same problem yet.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:09 PM   #7
Squid3d

sticky ?

oh, and bump
Squid3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:37 PM   #8
Pheonix Wright

any fixpacks or mods you'd recommend for first time players?
Pheonix Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:15 PM   #9
Hi2u! Tw1TcH

Q. Will there be a Diamond version?

A. Most likely in 3-6 months there will be a Diamond version which includes the Premium Module Mysteries of Westgate.

Hi2u! Tw1TcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:26 AM   #10
Delicieuxz

Q. Will there be another official patch for NwN2? It really needs it.
Delicieuxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:27 AM   #11
Freyar

I'm still adding more, don't worry. It's just been a bit busy with the New Year coming up.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:47 AM   #12
Darkpowder

Nice work on the FAQ Freyar. You just made player of the week
Old 12-31-2010, 09:24 AM   #13
Aesir Rising

This might be a Steam-specific issue, but based on my own installation experience, and some random posts in this forum, rebooting after install appears to resolve the repeated attempts by Steam client to reinstall the redists (e.g., .net or vc runtimes, or whatever else the game needs as far as shared libraries).
Aesir Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:52 AM   #14
NWN DM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicieuxz View Post
Q. Will there be another official patch for NwN2? It really needs it.
At this point, probably not.

There's a lawsuit that derailed what was thought to be a v1.24 patch.

In terms of the future, NWN2 is 4+ years old now. It's being sold at what amounts to a bargain (frankly)... this is great to everyone who is coming to it as a new game, because the value for what you're paying is huge, but the revenue stream (and the lawsuit) probably mean what we've got is it.

I could be wrong obviously. There may be a spirit of charity at Obsidian and they'd be willing to work on a patch essentially for free, but I doubt it in this day/age. Then there's whether Atari would allow them to release it, etc....
NWN DM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:07 AM   #15
Freyar

New Content has been added, more edits and additions will be made over the next hour.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Neverwinter Nights 2