Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Darwinia

Old 12-30-2010, 03:36 PM   #1
The Quiet Koala

So, on a scale of 1-Awesome,

How awesome is this game? And yes, I know that "awesome" isn't a numerical value but you know what I mean. Reason I'm asking is because it's on sale right now along with 4 other games (indie mix pack).

Old 12-30-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
Rusty Dakota

I don't know if it's "awesome", but I though it was "very satisfying".

It is kind of a blend of retro-arcade plus RTS. Don't stop after the first couple of maps. It gets more interesting as it goes on.

The art style looks like the box art from games from the '80s. The little green guys have a lot of personality for 2D sprites.

I"m glad I spent the time to play through it.
Rusty Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:50 PM   #3
Eldar

It's all a matter of taste. I know that a lot of people I have recommended it to don't enjoy it.

However personally I love it. I'd say buy it but I'm biased as I've played through it a few times. Try the demo, it takes some getting used to and the first few levels are extremely slow/boring, but hang in there and you might like it.
Eldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
sutekhi

I'd give it about a 3 out of 10.

I've been trying to work through all my Steam games and play each for an hour, and this one is possibly the only one (out of around 50) I haven't enjoyed so far. I'm 10 min in and I don't know if I can finish another 50 minutes.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:26 PM   #5
Eldar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutekhi View Post
I'd give it about a 3 out of 10.

I've been trying to work through all my Steam games and play each for an hour, and this one is possibly the only one (out of around 50) I haven't enjoyed so far. I'm 10 min in and I don't know if I can finish another 50 minutes.
I can understand if you don't like it, however I (along with others) think that the game starts to pick up around the Yard which is the 5th/6th level.

I encourage you to stick with it, because I think it's an amazing game, however if you don't like it I understand.
Eldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:36 AM   #6
sutekhi

I finished my hour, and in that time the game doesn't improve much.

I'm glad to hear it gets better later, and I don't regret buying it. However, it really isn't something you can just sit down for 1 hour and enjoy much.

Take my rating worth a grain of salt, since I don't have the dedication right now to get further in the game. For me, it's time to try out DEFCON for a hour.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:17 PM   #7
retr0Rob

Love it

I really love the heck out of this game: But it probably appeals more to retro gamers. There is a lot of references to the 80's and 90's demo scene, and the gameplay is that action/strategy hybrid that was popular in old Amiga games. The graphics are also a retro/modern blend which I really like.

I wish they would add some achievements.
retr0Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:11 AM   #8
knootewoot

I wish they made expansions for this game and people played multiplayer.

On a scale from 0-10 I give this game a 10+

I love the action/strategy hybrid games from this perspective. I love it's look to the retro games. And above all.. its a fun game to play. I love those Darwinians. If I was a Game designer I wanted to create a game like this. I loved Cannonfodder. I loved Syndicate. I love Darwinia even more.
knootewoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #9
AnubisArc999

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by knootewoot View Post
I wish they made expansions for this game and people played multiplayer.

On a scale from 0-10 I give this game a 10+

I love the action/strategy hybrid games from this perspective. I love it's look to the retro games. And above all.. its a fun game to play. I love those Darwinians. If I was a Game designer I wanted to create a game like this. I loved Cannonfodder. I loved Syndicate. I love Darwinia even more.
There is quite a few 3rd-party add-on campaigns/mods people have made. I have tried about half of them so far. A few are pretty good.
AnubisArc999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #10
AnubisArc999

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by retr0Rob View Post
I wish they would add some achievements.
I do too.

And there really is no reason they shouldn't.

They already did achievements for the 360 version, and they did an update just awhile go to Darwinia PC Steam version, so that it is an old game isn't really an excuse either, obviously.
AnubisArc999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:59 PM   #11
keithdt

Negative 1000

That's my score. Controls are awful & help is pitiful.
keithdt is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Darwinia