Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Mount & Blade series

Old 12-31-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
Jnate09

Mamlukes or Knights?

Recently got this game, and was wondering which one is better?

My friend who has played the game before, on an earlier build says that Mamlukes are better, although from personal experience, it seems that the Swadian Knights are better. Just looking for some more opinions! Thanks
Old 12-31-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
slashandtrash

The swadian knights are the best actually. They are kick butt at charging and breaking lines (except for rhodok pikes). The only thing mamlukes have over the swadians is their ability to harass the enemies once the line is broken.
Knights: charge, break,run like an olympic athletes
Mamluke: Harass, archer's worst enemy
slashandtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:16 PM   #3
xxxsniper754

This should help
Swadians: Best calvary
Sarrandians: Best archers
Nords: Best warriors
Rhodoks: Best spearmen
Vaegirs: All around evened men, heavily armored
Kerghits: horse archers
xxxsniper754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:15 AM   #4
slashandtrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxsniper754 View Post
This should help
I agree with all you say, save for the sarranids having the best archers. I say they are balanced with the vaegirs' archers. The sarranids are matched arrow for arrow against the vaegirs. The big difference is the build of the close combat troops which are more or less counterparts to the other nation.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:00 AM   #5
ssj4brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashandtrash View Post
I agree with all you say, save for the sarranids having the best archers. I say they are balanced with the vaegirs' archers. The sarranids are matched arrow for arrow against the vaegirs. The big difference is the build of the close combat troops which are more or less counterparts to the other nation.
The Vaeg got the war bow.
ssj4brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:57 AM   #6
waggywags

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxsniper754 View Post
This should help
First, let me nitpick:
Khergit! Sarranid! x_X

Now, let me comment:
Swadians: Formerly best heavy calvary. Now, on par with Mamlukes, I believe.

Sarranids: Tied with Swadians for heavy calvary. Then again, depends on terrain, and if they keep the horse. Mamlukes are killing machines even unhorsed, mainly due to versatile equipment.

Nords: Best infantry. Very good for storming castles, IMO: Tough shields, tough people, tougher axes.

Rhodoks: Spearmen, sure, but unless it changed somehow, the reason you fear Rhodoks is the CROSSBOWMEN. They're deadly.

Vaegirs: If old MnB rules still apply (And I believe they do), best archers. By archers, I mean with bow and arrow.

Khergits: Best horse archers. Though without mods to fix it, they can't hit a wall.
waggywags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:23 AM   #7
Asphe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnate09 View Post
Recently got this game, and was wondering which one is better?

My friend who has played the game before, on an earlier build says that Mamlukes are better, although from personal experience, it seems that the Swadian Knights are better. Just looking for some more opinions! Thanks
IMO:

Best Cavalry: Sarranid's Mamlukes. More durable than the Swadian Knights and slightly cheaper. On the other paw, they take longer to train up and the preceding types are weaker. The Vaegir Knights train up fastest and are the cheapest.

Best Archers: Vaegir Master Archers. Which is why I never use them. I usually use either Rhodok Sharpshooters, who are the best missile troops and very good medium infantry in their own right or Khergit Horse Archers (despite the description, a significant % will be armed with Javelins not bows). Archers are great targets though, I absolutely love them... when they are on the other side.

Best Infantry: Rhodok Sharpshooters. No, not Huscarls. Huscarls are the best when it comes to close quarters and not the best everywhere else. I like to reach out and kill people so I don't want troops with slow, big 2H axes and NO shields. Not just targets, but expensive AND slow.

But this sort of 'Top 10' thing is moot at best, dumb at worst. Ever try the mercenaries at the taverns? THEY are the best. They are also the slowest by far to recruit (although I'm sure your recruiters don't mind visiting every tavern, repeatedly). Where else can you get troops that wear Plate armor, neutral (see how long your Mamlukes stick with you when you start attacking Sarranid forces, even for self-defence) and the only female militant forces in the game.

Just make up your own mind, based on your own experience. I can easily tell the play styles (and even difficulty levels) of most of the above posters (and obviously you can tell what MINE is ^-*)
Asphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:25 AM   #8
Asphe

Quote:
Originally Posted by waggywags View Post
Khergits: Best horse archers. Though without mods to fix it, they can't hit a wall.
They CAN so hit a wall. Just not with arrows.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:45 PM   #9
slashandtrash

I understand that the vaegirs have a warbow, but it sacrifices speed for power where the nomad/short bow for the sarranids are much faster. I would say this balances them.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:45 PM   #10
Asphe

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashandtrash View Post
I understand that the vaegirs have a warbow, but it sacrifices speed for power where the nomad/short bow for the sarranids are much faster. I would say this balances them.
Not really. All of the missile troops carry about the same number of bolts or arrows. That means that after about 5 minutes of constant shooting, the archers have become light infantry with no shields. Worse, bolts do more damage (because even the best archers have mediocre PDs), in fact about twice as much because their higher damage per hit means more of bolt's power carries over the armor's resistance factor. Against heavy armor (knights, top tier mercs), crossbows are probably 4x as effective even with the lower rate of fire. I've seen AI x-bows routinely knock shields off.

Comparing the bow using missile troops, they all suffer the great handicap of a low archery skill (120-140, i.e. they miss sitting ducks at point blank range, half the time), low PD (jarate-poor damage per shot), tendency to stand up straight and stationary (at least crossbow users 'duck', spending 1/3 of their time bent-over, mooning their commander) making them the natural targets. (edit the troops txt file and give arrows [bows actually] the same damage as bolts, now THAT is arrow damage ^-^)

About the only situations where the AI bow missile troops come out ahead is when rate of fire is more important (i.e. when you are molesting looters and easy bandits) or when strategic speed is needed (and that means KHAs and ONLY KHAs).

In fact, rather than looking at their bows... look at their other gear. Take a close look at the Nord archers. That's the kind of infantry that can take on Sharpshooters and still lose but by a small margin.

Again, don't pick 'best knights' or 'best archers'. Pick the best troops. For yourself.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Mount & Blade series