Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Farming Simulator 2011

Old 01-03-2011, 11:28 AM   #1
Zaggeh

The Procedures of Farming

Hey all, I bought this game a couple days ago. So far I really like it, but I'm still a bit lost. If there's some sort of manual or something on steam, I couldn't find it. So I have a few questions.

First, what are the routine procedures of farming? Is it all just cultivate, sow, spray, (wait), cut, repeat? Does it vary depending on what I'm sowing?

When/where does baling come into play? What do I need, and what is the purpose of it?

Canola seems to pay waaaaay better than anything else. I read here that you get a lower yield of it when harvesting, so I guess that makes up for it, but how can I tell what's the most efficient money maker if they all have different yields?

Also, does the growth rate not factor in the game time setting, or is canola just THAT fast? I have my game set to real time, and while the clock is running normally, stuff seems to grow from nothing to fully harvest-able in an hour or maybe even less. It's only 11AM but I've already grown, harvested, and sold almost $250k worth of product. Does this mean that the game time setting only affects time of day and not growth/etc?

What are the differences between the difficulty levels?

Every now and then I hear breaking glass. Does that have something to do with the achievement for bottles, or is there something wrong with my equipment? Every time I've heard it I got out of my tractor and checked but couldn't find anything.

The info/tip/whatever in-front of the grassy lot near the store explained that cutting the grass was the first step to raising cattle... but what's the second/third/fourth/fifth step? The cut grass is on the ground but I'm not sure what to do with it. I saw an implement for turning over grass so it dries faster or something like that, but is that necessary or just optional for decreasing wait time? What do I do after it's cut?

Does it matter whether your sprayer is raised or lowered when spraying? They both seem to darken the terrain.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old 01-03-2011, 02:30 PM   #2
MrJohno

I like you have only had the game for a week now, looked interesting and fun, and boy isnt it. Its like running your own farm in real life but with your fingers, lol. I have done a lot of reading and asking for help like yourself as i couldnt work out some things either.

Giants never made a tutorial or guide for the game, which is a pitty.
I'l give you my 2 cents.

The routine procedures of farming is exactly as you said, cultivate, sow, spray then cut/repeat. This applys for canola and corn. Wheat and barley have only one difference in the procedure and thats, make bales of hay with the straw or what ever you call it thats dispersed from behind the harvester, you do this after cutting, just whenever you want or before you go to cultivate the field again.

You need the baler from the store, but the round baler and you pull it with a tractor over the lines of straw and it makes a bale. You then need to load them on to a bale transport trailer, with a front loader tractor or the telescopic arm thingy machine with the bale forks attached. Everything is in the store that you need.

Canola does pay the most money most of the time. If you check your pda, by pressing "I" you can see the prices of each crop, this changes from day to day. So if its not paying as much as the day before store it in your silo's untill the price goes up again.

The game time is running as it does. The crop growing times are dictated by the game and difficulty level. Difficultly level also dictates how hard it is to make money, easy mode will give you most money when selling your grain and hard mode will give you less money. You can change how fast or slow crops grow by editing values in the game files.

The breaking glass thing you hear, is you picking up bottles, there is a bottle bank somewer on the map, actually i think there is loads around the place. There is 100 bottles i think, its just a sidemission which raises your reputation and the more reputation you have the more money you get for your grain.

Cutting the grass with the big mower attached to the back of your tractor and the small mower on the front gets the job done quickly, but you need a new tractor, a bigger stronger one. Start with the smaller mower and mow the grass, you'l need to turn it over with another implement, cant remember what it is, its in shop. This drys the grass better and turns it into to hay, then you use the third implement to blow it into to straight lines to allow you pick the dried grass up with the forage wagon, its a trailer that goes on the back of the tractor and picks the grass up, you then take this up to traugh at the cows and dump it in, this feeds your cows.

The sprayer lowered or rasied i dont find a difference in at all, i just keep it raised.

One more thing, try these sites for extra help, look around the fs2011 forum for help, search them too for anyhting you have in mind. There are Thousands of mods on these sites too.

http://www.ls-uk.info
http://www.ls-planet.info

Hope i helped.
MrJohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:04 PM   #3
Zaggeh

Thank you so much! That clarifies a lot of stuff.

I also found the manual after I posted. It's a pdf in the installation folder (steamapps/common/farming simulator 2011). It doesn't really explain that much, but the descriptions for each kind of implement helped me figure out some things.
Zaggeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:50 PM   #4
ThePerfectGnome

canola pays more but you get less per field, even at 6k its better to sow wheat or barley cuz you get more per field and once sold equals more money. I have tested this.
ThePerfectGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:55 AM   #5
MrJohno

Yes thats correct, the yeild on canola is lower than your other crops. But i think thats a part of the game and not based on real life. Because, if you got the same yeild on canola than that of barley or wheat, youd only plant canola on your fields, hence the price being higher for canola.

You's do know that you can download a mod, that allows you to plant around 40 other fruits in the game.
MrJohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:51 AM   #6
Zaggeh

I saw that fruits mod. How exactly does it work? The three issues I have with it are lack of silos, PDA pricing, and the whole thing about real combines being solely for cereal harvesting. It'd be kinda weird/wrong/funny to harvest non-grains with a combine. Does it come with a seperate harvesting tool, or do you just scoop up fruits as if they were grain with your combines?

Last edited by Zaggeh: 01-05-2011 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Typo fix
Zaggeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:07 AM   #7
Die_Angel

they use the term "fruits" because it's what the game designers refer to in the game scripts, a "fruit" is simply a different type of crop/harvestable, so the game consider barely, wheat, canola, corn, sillage, straw and grass to be "fruits"

i think there are some special harvesters you can buy for cabages and the like, it looka bit like a combine, but it's different.
Die_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #8
Anton84

Go in forum's to Farming Simulator 2011 How To? (STICKY REQUEST), there is some stuff that would help a lot when you start at first.....enjoy!

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Farming Simulator 2011