Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Super Meat Boy

Old 01-03-2011, 11:39 PM   #1
Arkveveen

Custom Map: Ascendency

I'm back again, but this time with a custom map I worked hard on in the developer mode in Super Meat Boy! I tested it heavily, and used every ounce of my creativity.

Download the map file from here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?7ei8xm0jev4l4z2

After that, make a folder called Levels and put it into your Super Meat Boy directory or just create it inside it. Put my level into it in order to play it in developer mode in Super Meat Boy.

For those who don't know about the developer mode; it's an unoffical map editor that was leaked by a few people too impatient to wait for the upcoming official map editor. I heard that these maps can be easily loaded up in the official map editor, so many of us creative folks are getting started immediately on creating maps. I learned the hard way, as apparently all I needed to do to save, load, and make new maps without it crashing is to have the folder Levels in my Super Meat Boy directory.

To access my map to play, go to the game properties for Super Meat Boy in the Steam game library. Then go to set launch options, after that, type in -devmode just like that. To exit and enter edit mode, press F1 on the keyboard. You'll need to do this to access any custom maps at this time. Once in edit mode, click on 'load' in the bottom left corner; and type in ascendency exactly as it is there. You can't put caps or uncaps in the editor text boxes for some reason. XD

I hope you all enjoy it, and I hope to become a force to be reckoned with once map editing enters full season in the upcoming update!

Last edited by Arkveveen: 01-04-2011 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Made many changes to my custom Super Meat Boy level!
Old 01-04-2011, 03:12 AM   #2
Schmole

Made a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0My2POG_yA

Cut out the crumbling stuff in the first run - so did it again right after to show how it's supposed to be done :P
Schmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
Arkveveen

Thanks alot Schmole; you seem to like making videos for these maps. I appreciate it, since it means my map is liked; I used alot of Team Meat sensibilities that inspired me after playing Super Meat Boy till I beat 202 levels. LOL

This unofficial map editor is very clunky. However, I have found out how to delete set piece objects and hazards: Just ctrl click or shift click and drag to create a box to select the unwanted objects then hit delete. It doesn't always work, but it has for me. I was forced to save the map while viewing the far bottom left corner because it would always place an object for some reason when I saved. Almost like the 'save' button is transparent or something.

But, I had a blast, and I was able to feel the essence of creativity which I haven't felt in a long time!

Unfortunately, I am going to have to add some sawblades on that wall to the right in order to prevent that wall jump... you are really supposed to use the crumbling blocks! XD

Last edited by Arkveveen: 01-04-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Arkveveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #4
Arkveveen

Bumped for more custom map goodness!

Here is another map I made, guys. It's called Tower That Ate People:

http://www.mediafire.com/?22m6mzcq5626zmn

It aims at visual appeal and simplicity.

Also, as a fun bonus, here are the best times I was able to get on both Ascendency and Tower That Ate People:

Ascendency: About 16.50 seconds

Tower That Ate People: About 6.50 seconds

Have fun, and I hope to see you guys playing these maps when the official editor and level portal is released!
Old 01-05-2011, 11:22 PM   #5
Arkveveen

More Custom Map Goodness! Should of called this thread 'my custom maps'...

This map is called 6000 deaths later, since I am close to getting to 6000 deaths total in Super Meat Boy. XD

My most well designed map, very aesthetically pleasing!

Download it here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?pffyg769fztcgdb
Old 01-11-2011, 03:08 AM   #6
Schmole

Not enough people reading/replying to this thread!!

....so I thought I'd make more videos haha.

6000 Deaths Later: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqE43nEpsk4
The Tower That Ate People: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PefDV8aCqw8

Nice levels!!!

....although the gap at the top leads to some massive invisible chimney xP is there anything up there? I climbed for about 20 seconds after the video's attempt and gave up
Schmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:00 PM   #7
Arkveveen

Oh wow, good job Schmole finding that little secret. I left that there just for fun, I should of put a bandage way up in there, eh?

I am very glad you like my levels; not to brag, but I have talent with designing these levels.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:22 PM   #8
SoniXX

Banned
looks good. will test them later
SoniXX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Super Meat Boy