Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Old 01-06-2011, 05:17 AM   #1
Uh yup

Banned
Any games like amnesia?

You know, that are actually scary? I just beat penumbra, and was wondering if there was anything else thats really scary, and not just main stream action, not scary, scary.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:26 AM   #2
hydramarine

Well not being able to attack and kill anything makes Amnesia totally unique in this genre and really a stand-out among all. But if you like, give Call of Cthulu a try, a total classic from a couple of years ago. A lot of ideas of Amnesia are borrowed from that game.

Also check out older Silent Hills as well (2, 3 and 4 respectively).
hydramarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:57 AM   #3
Smear

Be aware that all those titles do permit... And sometimes even encourage... Combat.
Smear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:32 AM   #4
bluehell00

Penumbra.. Still from frictional games.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
Ravenger

The Thief series has a similar atmosphere, especially some of the spookier levels like The Cradle.
Ravenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:38 AM   #6
Nitronumber9

Call of Cthulhu is alright, Realms of the Haunting is also pretty good. Both have combat in mind but limited supplies at best (Although Realms has a few recharging weapons but is countered by occasional re spawning monsters)
I also did try Cryostatus but that didn't really have fear in mind.
Nitronumber9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:14 PM   #7
Reviz

I wouldn't get Call of Cthulhu for the PC if you can help it. If you can find somewhere that sells Xbox games and pick it up for that.
Reviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:11 PM   #8
Uh yup

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reviz View Post
I wouldn't get Call of Cthulhu for the PC if you can help it. If you can find somewhere that sells Xbox games and pick it up for that.
I actually played this game on the xbox once.

I pretty much got past the first level, then the game started spazzing out because I rented it and the disc had the whole friday the 13 job done on the bottom of it.
Uh yup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:48 PM   #9
qazxswplmnko

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehell00 View Post
Penumbra.. Still from frictional games.
The OP said that he or she beat Penumbra... Come on.
qazxswplmnko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:38 PM   #10
Lord Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uh yup View Post
I actually played this game on the xbox once.

I pretty much got past the first level, then the game started spazzing out because I rented it and the disc had the whole friday the 13 job done on the bottom of it.
If you can find PS2 version get it. They've made PS2 version and pretty much screwed the other ones to the point where PC version is almost broken... Sadly.

Speaking of scary games like Amnesia I recommend Siren on PS2 or latest Siren: Blood Curse on PS3. Mind it though, these games are actually even scarier than Amnesia, do not play without light, unless you're absolutely confident in your mental stability.
Lord Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:33 AM   #11
Vohn_exel

Silent Hill does encourage combat, but it's mostly you with a big wooden plank. It's better to just avoid combat when possible. It is a good survival horror game with great atmosphere, although it can be a little dated with the graphics, but if you aren't bothered by that, try it out!

Also, I've heard of a game called Scratches. I don't know anything about it, but I saw a short review and it sounded a little like this game.
Vohn_exel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:25 AM   #12
NasherUK

The thief games and system shock 2 are about the closest, not including Frictional Games' own ones. They are a lot older, but definately worth playing.

Last edited by NasherUK: 01-08-2011 at 07:32 AM.
NasherUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:58 AM   #13
Firestorm998

The Fatal Frame/Project Zero series are pretty damn spooky.
Firestorm998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:32 AM   #14
yangw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm998 View Post
The Fatal Frame/Project Zero series are pretty damn spooky.
Fatal Frame 2 with 1st person mode, holy @#$@ it's scary . But it's on the original xbox though.
yangw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:09 PM   #15
hroja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Gremlin View Post
Speaking of scary games like Amnesia I recommend Siren on PS2 or latest Siren: Blood Curse on PS3. Mind it though, these games are actually even scarier than Amnesia, do not play without light, unless you're absolutely confident in your mental stability.
Not really. None of the enemies are really a threat. When they grab you, you just shake the analog stick to get away. Oh, and you can beat them with an umbrella, not really scary. To be honest, it's quite boring and the controls are poor. It might get scarier to the end, but I didn't even finish the game.

The thing that makes Amnesia so good are the great controls. The physics engine is brilliant and the use of darkness and light is excellent. And the enemies. Every enemy is a threat. When a monster is chasing you, it's very intense. It's not really scary if you can beat up the enemies with a pencil.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Amnesia: The Dark Descent