Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 01-06-2011, 06:26 PM   #1
zarackobama

Steam Not Playing Any Games

This has been happening for 2 or so days now and is really getting on my nerves, as I've played plenty for these games and I seem to only be able to play the games I've payed for at Steam's convenience.

Whenever I try to open a game from Steam, it opens the loading game window, then closes. If I look at my running processes, I see that hl2.exe is running, but there is no window.

Now, if I try to open a game from its shortcut, maybe 1 out of 5 times the game will actually open. However, once I try to connect to a server, the game freezes up, and I end up having to kill the process.

I have defragged each game's files, and now I'm at the point of reinstalling Steam and each game.

I've looked up every 'fix' for this on Google and I haven't found one that actually works, so can I please get some help on this?

Thanks.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
zarackobama

Bumped, please help, this is extremely frustrating and I would like a solution so I can play...
Old 01-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
0ddity

Have you tried verifying each game's cache, or making sure you're not running programs that interfere with running Steam/games?

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...9828-SFLZ-9289
0ddity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:12 PM   #4
zarackobama

Yeah, I've verified each game's game cache and defragged all of them (TF2 had 1%, but all defragging is for is for faster startup, right?)

I can tell that hl2 is running, because in task manager is is open and using some of my CPU, but it has no actual window open...strange...
Old 01-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #5
T@F

is it just source games or every other game you own.
if source games just goto you're steamapps/your name and say del team fortress 2 folder then run game.

if it's counter strike source do the same,it should work with all source games.
it will just re-make the folder without any download and hopefully fix the prob.

As for non valve games not sure how to fix it but del them folders will cause a big download.
T@F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:34 PM   #6
zarackobama

It's just source games, and I tried deleting the TF2 folder but it still doesn't work.
I've also been looking around and noticing an increasing number of people having the same problem as me....
Old 01-09-2011, 10:27 PM   #7
CowHide

Do you have an older computer? I had low specs when I played HL2 a while back and the same sort of thing happened to me til I upgraded.
CowHide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:06 PM   #8
zarackobama

Haha, nope, just built this computer over winter break so it's pretty new
Old 01-15-2011, 03:09 PM   #9
zarackobama

Any other ideas guys? I would really like to play tf2...
Old 01-16-2011, 07:59 AM   #10
CowHide

A Hard/Easy way is to reinstall windows. Pretty sure it wouldn't be steam itself but might be a windows thing. Might want to think about it.
CowHide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:30 PM   #11
zarackobama

Ah I want that to be a last resort, I have a lot of important files on this OS and it'd be a pain to lose everything...

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips