Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Metro 2033

Old 01-06-2011, 11:02 PM   #1
stooper

Screen cuts off @ 1920x1080

Great game. Been running rock stable with no crashes or game stopping issues.

However, it seems to me that the screen isn't sizing properly. I'm playing dx9 (win xp) at 1920x1080 res. I often see text subtitles getting cut off at the bottom edge of the screen. When using the menu, I can vaguely view something that looks like a "return" or "back" button below the page. I'm assuming the little ammo clip icon in the hud has some counter beneath it, but can't see past the top edge of the ammo graphic. When picking up ammo, a number momentarily is displayed but gets cut of at the right border of the screen. And so fourth and so on...

Is this a configuration problem that can be fixed?

Radeon 4870. This is my only game that seems to have this "aspect ratio" problem.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:23 AM   #2
P.M.

Banned
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com...ic.php?t=19742

They report nothing wrong but a slight mouse sensitivity issue.

Could you provide a screenshot? You'll need to use FRAPS though.
P.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #3
stooper

Thanks verymuch for the link. Based on the screens, my game is definitely cutting off the right and bottom edges of the view. The ammo count doesn't appear at all and only the left ammo icon (magazine icon) is shown.

Now the HUD makes much more sense to me. All along I thought the nonsensical ammo display I was viewing was part of the "minimalist" style of the HUD. I could never tell how much ammo I had left, neither currently in my weapon nor in my inventory.

I'll try to post screenshots...

Last edited by stooper: 01-07-2011 at 08:56 PM.
stooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:51 PM   #4
stooper

I only browsed the screenshots from that link earlier. Just got home and read through some of the forum comments on that site. Think I found the problem described in one of the posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZafaZ
I run eyefinity, but I just want to run single screen as it is just too demanding, but the problem is that when I run 1920x1200, the screen goes to the center monitor but is sqaushed in badly (think the opposite of when a game doesn't support eyefinity and it just stretches across all the monitors).

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm running the steam version fully upto date
Quote:
Originally Posted by scavvenjahh
That's because in fullscreen mode, the desktop resolution determines the game's aspect ratio. To play Metro2033 on a single screen, you have two options:
-Set your desktop to single-screen before you run the game, or
-Play in windowed mode (r_fullscreen off). Resolution & AR can be anything you like in this mode.
It's very disappointing that the game resolution is coded in this way. Similar to the user above, I have a multi-monitor setup (primary @ 1920x1080 and secondary @1680x1050) but play on just a single display. It seems like this is causing the game to draw the aspect ratio using my desktop resolution instead of just primary display resolution.

I even tried disabling the secondary display and testing the game, but the issue remained. Even if this solution worked, it would be unacceptable to me to have to constantly switch my display settings back and forth just for Metro 2033.

I guess I could just continue playing with only the top-left ~80% of the screen visible. Have just arrived in Armory and am surprised that it wasn't really too noticeable to me earlier. But now that it's confirmed beyond all doubts, it's going to be very distracting and dissatisfying to play

Hopefully this can be patched some day.
stooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
xellestar

I've always used a single monitor setup and i have this issue.
xellestar is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Metro 2033