Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Mount & Blade series

Old 01-07-2011, 01:03 PM   #1
Humdinger

Question Yeah, Noob Start and Winning First Bandit Fight!

Starting the game and first task is to recruit 5 men. OK, I'm near Ruvar/Revar(spelling?) and get the 5 men, then elder gives quest to recruit and train 5 peasants. I do that OK, but then it says bandits are attacking and I need to stop them. I click OK, but no matter what the bandits ALWAYS win this battle. I have re-fought the thing about five times and can't even get past this initial fight...LOL. Some tips please! One thing I discovered is that maybe I should ride my horse back to the training grounds and get more levels or...? Not sure what to do next! Thanks for any suggestions!
Old 01-07-2011, 02:58 PM   #2
xiriod

Don't rush it. Recruit 20 men instead, take on some smaller bandit groups in the wild and gain a couple of levels You have time.
xiriod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:50 AM   #3
K.Mak

I don't remember it being very difficult, you could probably just get them all to come after you and have your men wail on them as they chase you.
K.Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
Helz

That quest from the village elder is a random one that can happen any time. It isn't really meant for a character that's level 1 and doesn't even have any troops yet. I'd just ignore it if I were you and focus on getting stronger.
Helz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:03 PM   #5
wokelly

If combat is too hard, try changing the combat settings. I had a hell of a time initially with sword combat and blocking, set it to auto block and swining to keyboard or auto at first to get a hang of the game, than switched back to increase difficulty. Auto slash and auto block is a good crutch to fall back on early on until you get better rank and soldiers or just get more experience in game to fight more realistically.
wokelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:19 AM   #6
real4xor

After training the last peasant you`ll immediately have to defend the village. You could just ignore the villagers quest, and not train those peasants, or wait a little and finish your first quest.

I think you have up to 10 or 20 days to train the peasants, so just train 4 of them and get back to that quest later, when you got more men or experience. If you finish the intro quest, from the merchant in your starting town, you`ll at least rise one or two levels.

20~30 bandits are quite challenging when you first set out, even if you have a village on your side. You don`t want to be outnumbered too much in the first steps of your travels.

Last edited by real4xor: 01-09-2011 at 05:41 AM.
real4xor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:18 AM   #7
Humdinger

Thanks guys, trying to get back into it...after a battle, how do I get better weapons? I have this crappy rusty sword, how do I upgrade weapons at a low cost? Thanks for the noob advice.
Humdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:23 PM   #8
Randomguy175

Banned
Basically when you start out, I would go do some arenas, and when you get comfortable and win arenas, look for tournaments and bet on yourself each round.

This will get you TONS of money AND a few levels along the way.

Don't worry too much about army management until you yourself are at a good level of comfort with how the game works.

The more you get on the good side of a village, the more recruits you can get from them whenever you visit, so try to help villages as often as you can.

If you want to upgrade your gear you have to get lucky when you kill bandits, generally you'll just buy from the store.

Raid bandit lairs when you can, they generally have tons of goods that you can sell for a very good amount of money in the right place.
Randomguy175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:29 PM   #9
Asphe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdinger View Post
Thanks guys, trying to get back into it...after a battle, how do I get better weapons? I have this crappy rusty sword, how do I upgrade weapons at a low cost? Thanks for the noob advice.
Sea Raiders, infantry bandits that usually hang around the areas between Rivacheg and Wercheg. Of all the bandits, they give the best financial rewards. Quite a bit of the gear they have (which is varied and the only category not 'dropped' would be horses and provisions) is useful as well.
Asphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:54 PM   #10
Humdinger

OK, I'm progressing a bit, and thanks for your replies. I beat my first battle against 10 SeaRaiders, what FUN! Anyway, I am near the village of Ruvar and I finally did get some good equipment after that battle. But where the heck around that area I can sell the stuff, there's only castles and villages. When I explore those, I am offered to buy stuff from the villages but not sell, and don't see an option for the castles...am I missing something?
Old 01-26-2011, 03:56 PM   #11
Asphe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdinger View Post
OK, I'm progressing a bit, and thanks for your replies. I beat my first battle against 10 SeaRaiders, what FUN! Anyway, I am near the village of Ruvar and I finally did get some good equipment after that battle. But where the heck around that area I can sell the stuff, there's only castles and villages. When I explore those, I am offered to buy stuff from the villages but not sell, and don't see an option for the castles...am I missing something?
Castles don't have 'stores's. Village stores tend to have very little money, so go to Towns.
Asphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:13 AM   #12
Humdinger

Thanks much Asphe, but that's my problem, I can't find a "town" anywhere on the map in that area...how do you find a list of towns in the geographic area you are in? I've even tried riding around the map in that area but there has got to be a better way...LOL!
Old 01-27-2011, 06:40 AM   #13
ben583

Move the map separately with the movement keys and look for anything bigger than a castle.
ben583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:50 AM   #14
waggywags

Towns are the VERY BIG names which appear when you zoom out of the map: Hold your cursor at edge of screen, scroll with WASD, the big names=town. They appear bigger, too.

Also, I don't think anyone mentioned it, so here's a starter tip:

Go pick on some Sea Raiders/Looters. They have the awesomely light yet pretty good Nomad Armor(+24 def, 6 encumbrance). A Woolen Cap (+4 defense), and your starter shoes, should be enough for most of your starter armor needs until you get to fighting trained soldiers. Of course, if something better is available once you finish killing them all, go for it!

And as for weapons, if you like swords, those Sea Raiders/Looters do drop some pretty nice falchions. No thrusting, but cut and slash wise it's a wee bit better.

Mostly, I wear armor that I loot from dead enemies and I buy my weapons. Horses, also from dead enemies. So yeah... I forgot what point I wanted to make, but meh.
waggywags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:29 PM   #15
Tachyon1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by waggywags
Go pick on some Sea Raiders/Looters. They have the awesomely light yet pretty good Nomad Armor(+24 def, 6 encumbrance). A Woolen Cap (+4 defense), and your starter shoes, should be enough for most of your starter armor needs until you get to fighting trained soldiers. Of course, if something better is available once you finish killing them all, go for it!
Just a warning, Sea Raiders are no pushover early on (especially at 100% difficulty). Get some good equipment and some mid-tier troops first. Attacking them with just Tier 1 peasants is suicide. Cavalry work great against Sea Raiders.

I usually go in this order :

Looters -> Forest Bandits -> Sea Raiders
Tachyon1986 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Mount & Blade series